• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland 2013.....people dying from hypothermia in Dublin...our Capital City....Shame on us

irishpancake

I feel ashamed that we in Ireland have allowed a situation to come about whereby two people, in their 60's, have died from the cold, huddled together.........

Cold snap blamed for Dublin flat deaths | Irish Examiner

However, it is believed freezing conditions over the past few days triggered the couple’s deaths, as there were signs electric heaters in the home had not been switched on in recent days.

Autopsy results also suggested the pair had eaten little food in recent days but had consumed large quantities of alcohol.
Good God, what have we become!!

[video=youtube;E8ozy3IrOaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ozy3IrOaM[/video]

Please look out for anyone who may be at risk during cold weather.

Porkypie

A person who happens to end up on sickness benefit loses the fuel allowance. When you are sick you stay at home and should be awarded extra heating allowance not lose the damn thing. Shame on you FG/Labour and especially Joan Burton. Im all right Jack fkuc you.

GDPR

is there a possibility this particular couple had some responsibility for their own deaths due to spending all their income on alcohol instead of on food or heating ?

General Urko

And I predict there will be more situations similar to this in the next few years!:mad:

amsterdemmetje

is there a possibility this particular couple had some responsibility for their own deaths due to spending all their income on alcohol instead of on food or heating ?
Ah yes blame the Gubbermint , I have stopped my own alcoholic father from attempting to walk half naked to the village in the middle of winter on several occasions to get his hands on a drink. How his reached the age he has I don't know but I suspect its got to do with having a good family and neighbors who have always looked out for him.

Ribeye

Apparently the food and drink in Dublin Castle for the EU Prediency banquets is exquisite,

Now shut you plebs, eat your horse burgers, and think positive!

Sync

Their age would seem to be irrelevant. If you sit in an apartment for days with no heat, no food but lots and lots of alcohol in zero degree conditions, you're going to die. How have "we" contributed to this? Or the government? Or Santa? How am I shamed by their personal decisions?

Last edited:

Ribeye

Their age would seem to be irrelevant. If you sit in an apartment for days with no heat, no food but lots and lots of alcohol in zero degree conditions, you're going to die. How have "we" contributed to this? Or the government? Or Santa?
Em, they were livin in a DCC retirement complex, where were all the over zealous social workers,

out child stealing I assume,

captainwillard

But you do have one! This is the biggest little nanny state in the world! We have gun laws so there's no wild west type of shooting going on. Kniives are also banned so no stabbings. As for abortion - well that durty stuff goes on in England!

If someone wants to drink himself to death, there is nothing anyone an do about it.

Ribeye

What about the concept of personal responsibility? I don't want an intrusive government.
They can't have it both ways,

If the govt are going to use taxpayers money to pay some mad doctor woman a huge salary to tell us not to eat to many Chinese takeaways,

They can't then claim personal responsibilty when 2 old people freeze to death in a council retirement complex,

They've made their nanny state bed, now they have to lie in it!

neiphin

Their age would seem to be irrelevant. If you sit in an apartment for days with no heat, no food but lots and lots of alcohol in zero degree conditions, you're going to die. How have "we" contributed to this? Or the government? Or Santa? How am I shamed by their personal decisions?
they were in sheltered housing
they were old (ish) with a serious illness (alcholism is an illness)
those in charge had a duty of care to those people
your an ass hole,
this should be the last straw for minister reilly

Munnkeyman

They can't have it both ways,

If the govt are going to use taxpayers money to pay some mad doctor woman a huge salary to tell us not to eat to many Chinese takeaways,

They can't then claim personal responsibilty when 2 old people freeze to death in a council retirement complex,

They've made their nanny state bed, now they have to lie in it!

Bollocks.

neiphin

If someone wants to drink himself to death, there is nothing anyone an do about it.
true, but someone should be able to pop in every now and again
alcholism is a serious illness, where was the home help ?

i said before that people in this state would die because of the policys of this government

captainwillard

true, but someone should be able to pop in every now and again
alcholism is a serious illness, where was the home help ?

i said before that people in this state would die because of the policys of this government
Who is this some one who will drop in to hundred of old people to ensure they are not drinking? What about the ones who need help but are not drinking?

Kev408

For those condemning the authorities have any of you any suggestions how to prevent two grown people from spending all their money on alcohol, spending nothing on fuel, and falling asleep on the floor beside their bed? Should every alcoholic have a social worker knock on their door every night? If they did some people here would be up in arms.

We have a lot be ashamed of but there's no shame on us in this case.

neiphin

Who is this some one who will drop in to hundred of old people to ensure they are not drinking? What about the ones who need help but are not drinking?
they are the home help that fg/lab took away
that half hour three times a week
it was sheltered housing ffs, there were a load of those people living together/ beside each other