Ireland - 2nd most expensive state in Europe .. Dublin 2nd most expensive city in Eurozone

robut

As many go and come back from holidays this summer they will notice this.

Just look at these percentages:

Ireland was highest in the EU for alcoholic beverages and tobacco (175% of the EU average), third highest for “personal transport equipment” i.e. cars, motor-bikes and bicycles (111% of EU average), fourth highest in the EU for restaurants and hotels and fifth highest for food and non-alcoholic drinks (both 120% of EU average).
"Rip-off" Ireland is second most expensive EU nation...

Eurostat has estimated that Irish costs for a broad selection of products are 25% pricier than the EU average.
Thats a QUARTER higher than rest of Europe ..

Only back this MARCH 2017 we were THIRD Most expensive in the EU, in a few months we are second. First & most expensive by September maybe?

Ireland is third most expensive country in EU to live in – again

For the fifth year in a row, the Republic is the third most expensive country in the EU in which to live, the Measuring Ireland’s Progress 2015 report found.

It put prices here 22.5 per cent above the European average which is slightly higher than the 22.3 per cent price differential recorded last year.
And all this against the background of pretty stagnant wages in Ireland since the crash??

And oh look, this from October 2016:

Good news for Irish workers as most companies plan pay hikes in 2017

So .. has this happened for you yet? Are you feeling it in your pocket yet especially with the cost of living sky rocketing here yet again?

If - ACROSS THE COUNTRY, not just Dublin - we have pretty stagnant wages coupled with cost of living rising bigly .. Is this sustainable? Will our Governments EVER deal with Cost of living here OR is it the old kanard .. Market forces?

And before I forget .. DUBLIN:

DUBLIN IS 2ND MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN EUROZONE FOR EXPATS TO LIVE

And finally this from 2015 .. some good points here:

Why is Ireland now more expensive than Germany?

In fact a friend of mine last week had German guests and French guests over for a few days. They were shocked. For the time they were here they asked HOW can you guys afford to live here .. stunned by prices of goods, staples, houses etc.

So remaining competitive seems not to have lasted very long has it?

Watcher2

Wasn't it FG that coined the phrase Rip Off Ireland or Rip Off Republic? They even created the website (since been taken down conveniently). You surely remember it with its homepage having the graphic/clip art of the house split down the middle in a jagg3ed fashion with 45% denoting the amount of tax taken by the then FF government in taxes on each house.

six years on an FG are still presiding over this sh1te. Even with the deflation from the recession, FG have not corrected the wrongs foisted on the people of this country in the pure rip off gouging that goes on wholesale in this country. Its a pity politicians are incapable of feeling shame, the brass necked motherfvckers.

Sister Mercedes

Irish people think highest rents, highest house prices, highest insurance etc means they've won some mickey measuring contest. When actually it means a lower standard of living because there's nothing left after paying for the very basics.

robut

Wasn't it FG that coined the phrase Rip Off Ireland or Rip Off Republic? They even created the website (since been taken down conveniently). You surely remember it with its homepage having the graphic/clip art of the house split down the middle in a jagg3ed fashion with 45% denoting the amount of tax taken by the then FF government in taxes on each house.

six years on an FG are still presiding over this sh1te. Even with the deflation from the recession, FG have not corrected the wrongs foisted on the people of this country in the pure rip off gouging that goes on wholesale in this country. Its a pity politicians are incapable of feeling shame, the brass necked motherfvckers.
Yes remember that site back in 2003.

Why rip-off Ireland is a (web)site for sore eyes

And look at this nugget from 2003:

Rip off Ireland needs to stop - Fine Gael

LDF

Inflation in Ireland is almost exclusively in sectors controlled or heavily regulated by govt. It can be reversed if the political will was there.

However, our politicians don't live in the real world - high salaries, unvouched expenses, nice pensions and bar tabs that don't need to be settled. Politicians won't tackle the cost of living because, for them, it ain't a problem.

Man or Mouse

I think it was Eddie Hobbs actually. See where that got him!

carlovian

And yet we subsidise the hotel industry with a reduced Vat rate.

How else can they charge over 500 euro per night for a room in Galway race week.

Voluntary

Irish people think highest rents, highest house prices, highest insurance etc means they've won some mickey measuring contest. When actually it means a lower standard of living because there's nothing left after paying for the very basics.
That's the thing. People earn way more here than in many European countries, however you can buy less for your salary. The only winners are short term immigrants who can manage to live low cost and save money to buy cheap properties abroad whenever they decide to move out.

robut

I think it was Eddie Hobbs actually. See where that got him!
No it was not .. as mentioned above, it was FINE GAEL in 2003:

Why rip-off Ireland is a (web)site for sore eyes

Now the backlash against rip-off Ireland is well and truly under way on the internet. At its weekend party conference Fine Gael publicised its new consumer website, ripoff.ie. Although the Fine Gael venture has been inundated with complaints about rip-offs, it is still at the development stage and pales in comparison with some of the other Irish websites that are becoming popular.

Here is the WAY BACK Machine snap shot of the FINE GAEL Ripoff.ie website from 2004:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040605012834/http://www.ripoff.ie:80/

Thanks to the Government, Ireland is the most expensive place in Europe to work or live. Exorbitant Government charges, sneak taxes and little competition, mean welcome to 'Rip-Off Ireland'. To stop the con, we've launched ripoff.ie. You're logging-on in droves, tired of being ripped off, furious that your hard-earned cash isn't going as far as it should.

Now, we're taking your fight to the Government. We're highlighting insurance costs forcing people out of business, and if you're young, off the road. We're nailing the outrageous price of soft-drinks in pubs, when responsible drinking is what Ireland needs. We're exposing how some British chain-stores charge customers here vastly more than their UK counterparts.

And you thought politics was irrelevant? Think again. Think Fine Gael. Remember, we're on your side.

The campaign goes on. Check out our site. Together, we'll lift the lid on 'Rip-Off Ireland'.
At link below just use the bar at the top to look at the same site through the years ..

https://web.archive.org/web/20120515000000*/www.ripoff.ie

Last edited:

Wascurito

I'd love to know where we rank for auto insurance. That's gone off the scale in the last few years.

gleeful

Just back from the south of France, where things seem a lot more expensive than Dublin - so not entirely sure how they calculate these things.

Mick Mac

Well done the Irish people for enduring years of being corn holed.
Is this a phenomenon without cause?

robut

Just back from the south of France, where things seem a lot more expensive than Dublin - so not entirely sure how they calculate these things.
Thats interesting .. A mate of mine also just back from South of France - over Italy side. He said yes high prices in some places BUT the big point .. he could shop around and find huge variance in prices, he had that option. An option not available here as much where price variation between outlets, bars, restaurants is not that much to make it worth while shopping around?

In a town near me - 5 Garages - Petrol / Diesel prices the same across all 5. Not even a cent in the difference. To shop around I would need to travel a good distance that would take the good out of shopping around .. for petrol, pointless!

jmcc

And yet we subsidise the hotel industry with a reduced Vat rate.

How else can they charge over 500 euro per night for a room in Galway race week.
Targeting the FF demographic?

d7bohs

I live in the UK most of the time but I'm back in Fizzbra' for me holliers.
Bought socks two weeks ago in UK £16 for pack of 3 in M&S, and then promptly left them behind me. Same pack €20 in Mary St.
2 pack of Lavazza coffee, £5 in Tesco in UK, €9 here
On the other hand, someone doing my job here would be earning about 20% mor

Hewson

I've lived in Spain for a few years and can empathise with people at home faced with exhorbitant prices for mediocre services and consumables.

Aside from the glorious weather (but too damned hot at the moment) here are a few price examples for life's basics, starting with the indispensible beer.

A 24-can slab of Cruzcampo 33cl costs €8.95.
A good Rioja is yours for €3.25
75cl of Gordons Gin €7.50.

The Spanish equivalent of the NCT is €39.
The annual tax on my car is €79.
Petrol is €1.10 a litre.

Meat is priced about the same as Ireland but fish is considerably dearer.

My other half goes to a weekly market nearby and gets her week's fruit and veg for less than €20.

Depending on where we eat out (we prefer the local, family-run restaurants and bars) dinner for two with wine will be anything from €32 to €48. More expensive in the crowded resorts.

Electricity and communications (wifi, mobile phone) are about the same as at home but network coverage can be problematic.

Water and refuse collection, about €65 per quarter.

Ireland has lost the run of itself and both hotels and restaurants continue to gouge during local events, the boring Galway races being a fine example.

robut

I live in the UK most of the time but I'm back in Fizzbra' for me holliers.
Bought socks two weeks ago in UK £16 for pack of 3 in M&S, and then promptly left them behind me. Same pack €20 in Mary St.
2 pack of Lavazza coffee, £5 in Tesco in UK, €9 here
On the other hand, someone doing my job here would be earning about 20% mor
You might find this article from 2015 ( posted in my OP ) of interest

In the case of groceries, Ireland probably suffers from being a rather remote sub-sector of the UK market.

.. In Ireland, by contrast, partly because of its island status, it is difficult to benefit from the scale economies possible elsewhere in the EU.

Over the last decade the German discounters Lidl and Aldi have increased their penetration into the Irish supermarket sector, and have probably helped narrow the difference in food prices between Ireland and Germany. However, Ireland still remains part of a high-price British Isles market.

bonkers

I've lived in Spain for a few years and can empathise with people at home faced with exhorbitant prices for mediocre services and consumables.

Aside from the glorious weather (but too damned hot at the moment) here are a few price examples for life's basics, starting with the indispensible beer.

A 24-can slab of Cruzcampo 33cl costs €8.95.
A good Rioja is yours for €3.25
75cl of Gordons Gin €7.50.

The Spanish equivalent of the NCT is €39.
The annual tax on my car is €79.
Petrol is €1.10 a litre.

Meat is priced about the same as Ireland but fish is considerably dearer.

My other half goes to a weekly market nearby and gets her week's fruit and veg for less than €20.

Depending on where we eat out (we prefer the local, family-run restaurants and bars) dinner for two with wine will be anything from €32 to €48. More expensive in the crowded resorts.

Electricity and communications (wifi, mobile phone) are about the same as at home but network coverage can be problematic.

Water and refuse collection, about €65 per quarter.

Ireland has lost the run of itself and both hotels and restaurants continue to gouge during local events, the boring Galway races being a fine example.
How much is your car insurance?

Notachipanoaktree

As many go and come back from holidays this summer they will notice this.

Just look at these percentages:

"Rip-off" Ireland is second most expensive EU nation...

Thats a QUARTER higher than rest of Europe ..

Only back this MARCH 2017 we were THIRD Most expensive in the EU, in a few months we are second. First & most expensive by September maybe?

Ireland is third most expensive country in EU to live in – again

And all this against the background of pretty stagnant wages in Ireland since the crash??

And oh look, this from October 2016:

Good news for Irish workers as most companies plan pay hikes in 2017

So .. has this happened for you yet? Are you feeling it in your pocket yet especially with the cost of living sky rocketing here yet again?

If - ACROSS THE COUNTRY, not just Dublin - we have pretty stagnant wages coupled with cost of living rising bigly .. Is this sustainable? Will our Governments EVER deal with Cost of living here OR is it the old kanard .. Market forces?

And before I forget .. DUBLIN:

DUBLIN IS 2ND MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN EUROZONE FOR EXPATS TO LIVE

And finally this from 2015 .. some good points here:

In fact a friend of mine last week had German guests and French guests over for a few days. They were shocked. For the time they were here they asked HOW can you guys afford to live here .. stunned by prices of goods, staples, houses etc.

So remaining competitive seems not to have lasted very long has it?
So tell me this. How the Fck is Scam 'R Us getting away with it ALL. HOW FFS?

Scam from top to bottom. North to south. Rich to poor. Employed to unemployed. Smart to DA.

Scam seems to be forged into our bones. Great. But, How TF are we getting away with it?

What kind of criminals are we doing business with? Is it a pact with Beelzebub? or WTF

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies