Ireland. 3rd fastest broadband in Europe?

PrinceMax

Can't really figure out which category to put this in, but the report is current, so I guess current affairs isn't far off...

I was reading an article on a Swedish website about how Sweden has the second fastest broadband in Europe. That didn't surprise me, but I was curious as to where Ireland featured so I clicked on the link... Akamai: World's Net connection speeds rising | Wireless - CNET News ... and was shocked to see we're sixth in the world, and third in europe.
So I guess, although we don't have availability everywhere in Ireland, where people have it, it is pretty damn good.

Mitsui2

I suspect this is a case of "Lies, damned lies & statistics".

H.R. Haldeman

Despite having no actual facts or knowledge to back up this claim, I am still 100% certain we don't have the 3rd fastest bb in Europe.

Tweek

3rd highest theorethical available speed maybe, what with 30Mbits UPC cable being available. speedtest.net's listing of fastest countries doesn't include Ireland but includes many other European nations. In terms of average available speed we lag well behind.

truthisfree

3rd highest theorethical available speed maybe, what with 30Mbits UPC cable being available. speedtest.net's listing of fastest countries doesn't include Ireland but includes many other European nations. In terms of average available speed we lag well behind.
Here's a shot of it:

Speedtest.net World Results

These results are based on actual tests which Speedtest.net do millions of everyday. This is an accurete reflection of speeds available and it has us at 48th D/L and 52nd U/L a long way from the theoretical speed quoted in the OP.

Last edited:

PrinceMax

Just wondering, why do download and upload speeds differ? What I mean is, why is Korea top for download but 13th for upload? Is one more difficult to attain? Or, is one less important?

truthisfree

Just wondering, why do download and upload speeds differ? What I mean is, why is Korea top for download but 13th for upload? Is one more difficult to attain? Or, is one less important?
The download speed is more important, we use most of our bandwith receiving not sending. What is not included here is latency, this is very important for Gamers in particular. I have heard a lot of them really giving out about latency here. Latency is the send + return time, also called ping.

FakeViking

Maybe it's time the good ould taxpayer bought eircom back. After all, the venture capitalists who "invested" in it have milked the old cow dry by now.

To misquote Carlsberg: probably the worst government decision ever made!

truthisfree

This is from Finfacts may 2009, it details the amount of subscribers.

Ireland falls in broadband rankings
Ireland fell one rank in the league table of broadband penetration for the 30 mainly developed members of the OECD, according to its latest report on web connections. Ireland ranked 21st at the end of 2008 with 20.57 subscribers per 100 inhabitants.
Ireland has a target to be recognised as a "world class knowledge economy" in just four years time -- it will not be met.
Source

The take-up for broadband is clearly here, but no-one to provide it. There should be fiber optic everywhere, I am sure I remember that we had fiber optics here before the UK, and our government boasted about it as one of the most modern systems in Europe at the time, and that was a long time before the emergence of the Celtic Tiger.

Last edited:

greengoose2

Can't really figure out which category to put this in, but the report is current, so I guess current affairs isn't far off...

I was reading an article on a Swedish website about how Sweden has the second fastest broadband in Europe. That didn't surprise me, but I was curious as to where Ireland featured so I clicked on the link... Akamai: World's Net connection speeds rising | Wireless - CNET News ... and was shocked to see we're sixth in the world, and third in europe.
So I guess, although we don't have availability everywhere in Ireland, where people have it, it is pretty damn good.

Should be moved to humour section. Claims such as these are becoming more absurd daily. Soon we will be the bestest in the whole wide world.

Pauli

Here's a shot of it:

Speedtest.net World Results

These results are based on actual tests which Speedtest.net do millions of everyday. This is an accurete reflection of speeds available and it has us at 48th D/L and 52nd U/L a long way from the theoretical speed quoted in the OP.

Europe's poorest country, Moldova, seems to be better positioned for the onset of the "knowledge economy" that we are. Interesting.

myksav

Ok, I've calmed down and don't feel like shooting someone now. Is that a too-early April's Fool joke?
Has to be, as broadband is a joke in this country. Maybe if you're in Dublin or other major cities (certain areas) you'll get decent connection speeds.

The download speed is more important, we use most of our bandwith receiving not sending. What is not included here is latency, this is very important for Gamers in particular. I have heard a lot of them really giving out about latency here. Latency is the send + return time, also called ping.
Speedtest.net has a link to a ping-test. Very informative.
I've got a gamer in my house, lag is a b1tch. The best ping I get is 245ms. Sometimes it's 999.99ms, AKA over one [1} second. The system didn't cater to anything slower than 0.99999 seconds. That is bad enough when trying to access business sites, it's hell if you're online gaming.

As a few of my nephews foreign gamer friends say, that lag must be why Irish gamers are among the top ranks in LAN gaming,

Foghorn

The UK isn't even listed. Some providers are now doing up to 50Mb, and it is damn cheap here.

I have Talktalk broadband for free with my telephone line!

Half Nelson

Hey Dave, I'm thnking of moving to Chorus NTL. Have you done a speedtest.net on your connection ?

I've just tested my BT DSL and it's woeful.

It was better than this last year !
Just ran same test on my Eircom - 0.24DL, 0.08UL. but I guess there's only so much you can do with a copper wire. Sometimes it only works in fits and starts.:(

Harmonica

I've UPC 15Mb, can't complain. It's great!
UPC have really improved and are seems 3/4 of the wireless routers I can see locally have all moved to them. Seems to be a case of if you build it they will come. I am on 20MB but think it has moved to 30MB recently. That said 10MB d/l seems to be the norm at peak times.

In the links provided above I couldn't see any reference to how the figures were compiled.

EvotingMachine0197

WooHoo.

UPC Chorus NTL (whatever they are called) Rocks !

That's over WiFi. Getting 14.6 DL on ethernet.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies