Ireland accuses Luxembourg of stealing our Brexit swag

gleeful

As each EU state picks over the bones of the still warm corpse of the British economy, the fight for the tastiest morsels is getting intense.

Ireland cries foul over competition for Brexit moves

"“Other cities in Europe are being very aggressive in trying to win business,” Eoghan Murphy, the junior minister in charge of promoting Dublin’s financial centre, said, describing what he called “dangerous competition”.
“We have always said ... we would not be predatory ... that we are not interested in brass plating,” he said, referring to the practice of setting up a token operation with a “brass plate” sign outside in order to gain market access."

With the final decision on moves out of London still months away, the rivalry has become increasingly hostile, with some Frankfurt lobbyists, for example, saying privately the Irish accent makes local English incomprehensible.

If they want a fight...

Watcher2

"The corpse of the British economy" hahahahahaha,

this wins the most hyperbolic statement as regards the British exit thus far. I stopped reading after that statement.

Sister Mercedes

One of the problems is that Dublin is up against cities that have executive mayors and can coordinate a comprehensive proposal to prospective companies.

Whereas Dublin is represented by a mish-mash of various state agencies which are also under political pressure to prioritize investment outside of Dublin. I'd love to see the 'exit interviews' where the companies explain why they chose other locations to Dublin. It might focus some minds here.

gleeful

One of the problems is that Dublin is up against cities that have executive mayors and can coordinate a comprehensive proposal to prospective companies.

Whereas Dublin is represented by a mish-mash of various state agencies which are also under political pressure to prioritize investment outside of Dublin.
I guess a city-state like Luxembourg has an advantage there alright.

Congalltee

Junkies, high rents, baptism barrier for schools, poor transport links, expensive city on a small island on the periphery of Europe v
Centrally based Luxembourg
Financial capital Frankfurt
Ambitious Amsterdam (with superb English)
Prestigious Paris.

We don't need a minister for Brexit, we need a minister for dublin.

gleeful

Junkies, high rents, baptism barrier for schools, poor transport links, expensive city on a small island on the periphery of Europe v
Prestigious Paris.

You seem to think that only Dublin has problems. Have you never traveled abroad?

blokesbloke

Prestigious Paris.

Ah now. Don't be saying that. Shure everyone knows after Brexit Ireland will be the only English-speaking country in the EU.

You know, speaking proper English, loike.

blokesbloke

Actually if you EU lot are going to "steal" all our swag then I'd rather Ireland got it.

For a start you're me favourites.

Secondly it's not far for me to pop over to get a job when I'm destitute.

I'm sure some Piesters will put in a good word?

im axeled

Prestigious Paris.

wrong, we need someone with smarts running the place

im axeled

You seem to think that only Dublin has problems. Have you never traveled abroad?
have you ever taken the bus from the airport to huston, if not get someone to video it in both directions, then watch it in slow motion

Sister Mercedes

The frustrating thing is that Dublins' problems are very fixable. Back in the 1990's Dublin had an energy about it. Fast forward 20 years and every proposal is shot down or buried by the courts and civic authorities.

As Robert Kennedy said “There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”

O

Oscurito

Actually if you EU lot are going to "steal" all our swag then I'd rather Ireland got it.

It's clear that this whole Brexit thing is a dastardly plan by perfidious Albion to undermine EU unity by setting other countries against each other.

Sister Mercedes

As a drag queen you'll find yourself among friends ... with Twink, Linda Martin, Mary O'Rourke, Miriam O'Callaghan etc etc.

blokesbloke

It's clear that this whole Brexit thing is a dastardly plan by perfidious Albion to undermine EU unity by setting other countries against each other.
I know!

Right bastards, we are.

The whole point of Britain in the EU was to give you all someone to blame and dislike so you could unite.

When we leave you'll have to find a new scapegoat.

Be careful, Ireland, and make sure it's not yourselves.

Same if Scotland decides to go... quite a divided wee country, that.

Without the English to hate and Westminster to blame, tensions will come to the fore...

O

Oscurito

I know!

Right bastards, we are.

The whole point of Britain in the EU was to give you all someone to blame and dislike so you could unite.

Without the English to hate and Westminster to blame, tensions will come to the fore...
We can always rely on Ze Tchermans as back up.

gleeful

I know!

Right bastards, we are.

I think Poland is way ahead of us.

New Threads

Most Replies