Ireland and the DUP-Tory Deal and the GFA

ruserious

Many legal minds and people at the centre of the Good Friday Agreement such as Alastair Campbell have said that a DUP and Tory alliance in whatever form would be contrary to the independent role of the British government in carrying out its function as a guarantor of the GFA.

Ireland is another guarantor of the GFA and so seemingly has an interest in maintaining the independence and stability of it, lest we see a breakdown in community relations.

However, the Irish government has been very quiet on this matter. Taoiseach elect Varadkar has recently shown disdain for the GFA by suggesting the principle of consent is no longer enough for bringing about a United Ireland.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/fine-gael/255692-leo-varadkar-withdraws-support-good-friday-agreement.html

This thread wishes to explore the Irish government response to the UK coalition deal and how it may affect the GFA among other issues.

JimmyFoley

Would the unionists object to SF's forming a govt in the Rep. with FG or FF.

I never heard SF's offering it as a reason for their refusing to form such a coalition (maybe they did at some stage).

Analyzer

The DUP are hardly going support Corbyn, are they ?

They are not in a strong position. They have crying out for relevance for almost a generation in Westminister. They will not want another general election.

Their electoral success is because they are perceived as being tougher when dealing with outside bigger entities like the government in Dublin.

For that reason they might take on the Kildare Street circus on matters like sloppy policing from AGS, failure to maintain effective border control and anything that is mismanaged in the RoI. Just to remind Northern Nationalists that D2 is incapable if managing even it's own affairs.

There is nothing Sammy Wilson and Paisley junior would love more than making a mockery of RoI politics.

It will get funny when DOB owned propaganda organs like the Belfast Telegraph are part of the fight back.

Especially if the DUP are in a position to take on FG's pal.

And then there is NAMA. And the scandal ridden AIB which has received a free pass from the DOB oened media and PRAVDA-rte.

There is a quote from Kissinger that comes to mind.

Henry94.

I always knew the GFA was a load of shltE.
That is why the IRSP opposed it from day one.
Vindication as expected.
I'm sure a grateful nation will flock to the IRSP any day now. Meanwhile the DUP/Tory government will prove a disaster for the Tories. There are enough quotes from the DUP to feed Twitter for years and the upshot will be a Corbyn led government. That will do nicely.

ruserious

I never heard SF's offering it as a reason for their refusing to form such a coalition (maybe they did at some stage).
Good point actually.

razorblade

The fact is Varadker couldnt care less for the GFA or a united Ireland he's made that perfectly clear.

runwiththewind

Difference is that the Secretary of state is from the Tory party so how can he be impartial? Way too much horse trading to be done to the detriment of nationalists. The DUP will start out in a conciliatory tone but the longer the government lasts, the more demands they will make.

Levellers

I'll be surprised if Mayhem goes six months never mind a year. The DUP/UDA will be damaged by this opportunist move.

SF likes a ten year plan.

Fullforward

The entire arguement around that point being made is based on the insane suggestion that ANY of the parties to the GFA have any semblance of impartiality. NONE of them have.

Fullforward

The fact is Varadker couldnt care less for the GFA or a united Ireland he's made that perfectly clear.
Leo said "“I look at the data and I look at the polls, and I see that Sinn Féin is doing very well with voters over 35. I am very concerned about that."

JimmyFoley

Difference is that the Secretary of state is from the Tory party so how can he be impartial? Way too much horse trading to be done to the detriment of nationalists. The DUP will start out in a conciliatory tone but the longer the government lasts, the more demands they will make.
SF's objection, and they have a point, is that *both* governments are supposed to be impartial guarantors of the agreement and disinterested facilitators of negotiations etc; therefore, an Irish govt that includes SF would be incapable of putting forward a Min for FA not compromised in the same way that SF believes a SofS would be if the Cons were to do a deal with the DUP.

If SF were consistent in this reasoning, they could never form a coalition in the Rep....

They probably would have complained. They cannot do so now.

It should be remembered that the nature of the deal is not to completely climb into bed with the Tories. It amounts to little more than a reacharound.

JimmyFoley

The entire arguement around that point being made is based on the insane suggestion that ANY of the parties to the GFA have any semblance of impartiality. NONE of them have.
Are you saying that SF's objection doesn't hold water?

JimmyFoley

It should be remembered that the nature of the deal is not to completely climb into bed with the Tories. It amounts to little more than a reacharound.
Maybe they would have.

I never heard anyone's bringing it up, though; did you?

diaspora-mick

It's not that simple.
How can a UK gov pretend to play the role of "impartial arbiter" in NI affairs if it is depending on one of the parties.
There's a clear conflict of interest ...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies