Ireland beats Paris as best Tourist Destination 2011

Wakeupcall

Last year's favorite Paris was beat out this year by the very tourist-friendly nation of Ireland. During the nominations process, supporters told us why they were putting the Emerald Isle on their wish lists for the following year:
"The rugged beauty of the island and its historic past enchant me."
"I have family there. But I also love being out in the country, rambling around, exploring megalithic sites, and having tea in small shops. Love it all."
"Beer, castles, lush landscapes, and small enough to explore via bicycle or car."
"Love the scenery, love the people. Had an excellent time when I was last there, but need more time."
"A magical destination in nearly every way."
Reader Favorite: Ireland - Top Destinations 2011 at Frommer's

Some good news... :)

Camper Van

Whats so great about Paris anyway? I've never been but one of the biggest complaints seems to be about how over the top expensive things are. Similar to here. But I'll take any positive I can get right now, no matter how dubious it might be.

Cassandra Syndrome

Paris is the best place in the world for a romantic weekend. Other than that I would prefer to holiday in Ireland than Paris.

bokuden

The nicest people in Paris are the drug addicts. Other parts of France are all right.

fonzie

Paris isnt even the best city in France, let alone the world. For all our faults people love our country, our culture and our people. Nice one Ireland!

S

SeamusNapoleon

Isn't "historic past" rather redundant though?
Compared to, say, a particular few kilometres squared on the Atlantic Ocean that no ship might ever have sailed on.

It's got a past, a long long one, but it's not very historic or interesting.

Grumpy Jack

Whats so great about Paris anyway? I've never been but one of the biggest complaints seems to be about how over the top expensive things are. Similar to here. But I'll take any positive I can get right now, no matter how dubious it might be.
Go there and you will find out. An incredible city

seanmacc

A lot of Irish people would scoff and wonder why people will come here. To most Irish people a Dublin vs Paris choice should be a no brainer to tourists as we don't exactly have the Louvre here or an Eiffel Tower.

There are a lot of positives for the tourist industry here at the moment and many of them can be exploited a lot better. For years Ireland has come accross as very expensive for tourists but there are a good few things where we have a good advantage.
1. We have amongst the lowest car rental rates in the world.
2. Hotel prices have become fairly reasonable again.
3. We have some amazing golf courses in this country that a lot of American, Japanese and German tourists go mad for playing because of the ridiculous costs of palying a round in their countries on inferior courses.
4. In our cleaner rivers and lakes fishing and watersports is a dream (weather permitting)
5. We now have decent roads and infrastructure (public transport does need work though)

We do have a lot to offer tourists despite the price of a pint in Templebar. if the rest of the world recovers economically and the marketing is right we can see the numbers soar higher then the Celtic Tiger era. Its a pity most of the jobs that come from it are low end.

cozzy121

They can all come and see a Failed Nation. Hopefully they can learn from our mistakes.

A Time for Every Purpose

Ireland. What an overpriced kip. I always go out of my way to plead with foreign friends not to come and instead meet up in a neutral country. Don't think I'd be able to handle their embarrassed faces as they walked through the filth and low lifes of Dublin city centre.
I suppose with people like you, it must seem AWFUL,
but fortunately they are not all phonies like you.
Believe me whan you really live elsewhere ,the rose spectacles come off,and to see the foreigners up close,it is not wonderful.
But in any case ,most do not come to see Dublin,and most cities have their
horrible places,that they hide from 'visitors'.

A Time for Every Purpose

They can all come and see a Failed Nation. Hopefully they can learn from our mistakes.
What a load of toss !!
Take off your false making blinkers.
You have not really travelled or you would not say that.
And if the Nation has failed ,it is because of 'failures' like you.
Waken up ,do something, misery !

Fides

A lot of Irish people would scoff and wonder why people will come here. To most Irish people a Dublin vs Paris choice should be a no brainer to tourists as we don't exactly have the Louvre here or an Eiffel Tower.

There are a lot of positives for the tourist industry here at the moment and many of them can be exploited a lot better. For years Ireland has come accross as very expensive for tourists but there are a good few things where we have a good advantage.
1. We have amongst the lowest car rental rates in the world.
2. Hotel prices have become fairly reasonable again.
3. We have some amazing golf courses in this country that a lot of American, Japanese and German tourists go mad for playing because of the ridiculous costs of palying a round in their countries on inferior courses.
4. In our cleaner rivers and lakes fishing and watersports is a dream (weather permitting)
5. We now have decent roads and infrastructure (public transport does need work though)

We do have a lot to offer tourists despite the price of a pint in Templebar. if the rest of the world recovers economically and the marketing is right we can see the numbers soar higher then the Celtic Tiger era. Its a pity most of the jobs that come from it are low end.
Would argue not a great place for family holidays. We need to upgrade our campsites, beaches, and indoor attractions (it does rain a lot). I do think it is something we can excel in and help us out of our economic difficulties. There is a lot of goodwill towards us and we should tap into it.

gayguy2000

I suppose with people like you, it must seem AWFUL,
but fortunately they are not all phonies like you.
Believe me whan you really live elsewhere ,the rose spectacles come off,and to see the foreigners up close,it is not wonderful.
But in any case ,most do not come to see Dublin,and most cities have their
horrible places,that they hide from 'visitors'.
Unfortunately our horrible place we want to hide from visitors is called the city centre, well certainly the north city centre anyway. Cycling from talbot st to mary st this morning around 0915 i saw at least 15 roma beggers, and one of those really annoying bands they have. They have this guy with no leg now that just sits in the middle of the bloody road. I wonder where no shoes guy is operating these days? Not to mention the hoardes of tracksuited junkies shouting at each other.
Dublin is a nice city but you really need to take them to the nice places when you have visitors!

The Caped Cod

The "article" doesn't say what it is basing this on, where there statistics come from. It's a "reader's favourite" from teh US's most popular travel guide, and those "readers" may well be the readers of the site as opposed to the books themselves. It migth just be their online survey.

Most visited cities
Top 10 most visited cities by estimated number of international visitors by selected year
City Country International visitors(millions) Year/Notes
Paris France 14.8 2009 (Excluding extra-muros visitors)
London United Kingdom 14.1 2009
Singapore Singapore 9.7 2009
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 9.11 2009
Hong Kong China 8.95 2009
New York City United States 8.7 2009
Bangkok Thailand 8.45 2009
Istanbul Turkey 7.51 2009
Dubai United Arab Emirates 6.81 2009
Shanghai China 6.29 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism#Most_visited_cities
In the end, as with most things, it's bums on seats that count.

A Time for Every Purpose

Isn't "historic past" rather redundant though?
No it's not redundant at all!!
France for example does not have the equivalent of TARA or NEWGRANGE,or the 'fort 'on Inishmore.
Neither does France have Irish dancing ,or singing or its equivalent, nor do they have 'story telling' talents.
Truly ancient culture is Basque or Corse ,not French.
These Irish things are very ancient,often more so than many 'Roman ' sites,
which apart from 'standing stones in Brittany,and the Lascaux caves,are their oldest monuments.

New Threads

Most Replies