Ireland elections no threat to bailout plan: EU

Ulster-Lad

(STRASBOURG) - An early general election in debt-ravaged Ireland does not pose any threat to its negotiations with the European Union and the IMF over a massive financial bailout, the bloc's economic affairs commissioner said here Monday.

"I don't see that it will threaten the EU-IMF programme or its negotiations," Olli Rehn told journalists on the sidelines of a hearing before a committee of the European Parliament in Strasbourg.

The elections "will take place... in January, and our negotiations will be concluded by the end of November."
Ireland elections no threat to bailout plan: EU — EU business news - EUbusiness.com

We have approval from Europe for an election :eek:

corelli

No, he said that a January election would not pose a difficulty. He most certainly did not say that an immediate one would not.

Ulster-Lad

No, he said that a January election would not pose a difficulty. He most certainly did not say that an immediate one would not.
He also said that the IMF negotiations would be concluded at the end of November. What then would preclude a December election? No where did I say an immediate election BTW.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Well the thread title is misleading but I say OK, I'll vote for a party/candidate that will default on any EU bailout and private debt. :)

How nice to know that our European 'partners' give us their permission for an election. We are afterall at the heart of Europe, are we not? ;)

Asparagus

He also said that the IMF negotiations would be concluded at the end of November. What then would preclude a December election? No where did I say an immediate election BTW.
They won't be complete by november if cowen loses a no Confidence motion....

Ulster-Lad

Well the thread title is misleading but I say OK, I'll vote for a party/candidate that will default on any EU bailout and private debt. :)

How nice to know that our European 'partners' give us their permission for an election. We are afterall at the heart of Europe, are we not? ;)
Sorry, thread title was from the title of the article.

Oldira1

Even the most Pro EU of people have to be outraged at an unelected official basically dictating when a country can have an election. Surely?

Or have we lost all self respect as a nation?

Gadfly

There is something deeply disturbing about a European Commissioner publically stating a position on when a member state should hold an election. I guess that the convention whereby Commissioners tried to avoid the perception of interference in internal political affairs went by the board some time ago, probably around the time we started voting the wrong way on referenda.

The strategic necessity of shoring up market confidence certainly leaves no room for such niceties.

But this still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Where will they now draw the line? Will they start to give guidance on who we should vote for?

Superlepreachaun

Sure if we elect a govt with a plan that doen'st involve an EU-IMF bailout they can just tell us to vote again, and we will obediently change our minds.

Popular Threads

Most Replies