Ireland: Germany's Lost Paradise

AirTurbulence

Many foreign banks set up conduits in Ireland to offload the riskiest business from their home accounts. To cut those companies maximum slack, hardly anyone – and certainly not the state – came round to check in on the Dublin Docklands. And all of a sudden, chaste Ireland had something of a brothel about it: a place you go to do the dirty things you wouldn’t dare do at home.

That's a good way to put it...

reknaw

Thanks for drawing attention to that, Readytogo. An excellent article, and written by someone who is nearly as good a wordsmith as Böll himself was. And that isn't easy.:)

I read Irisches Tagebuch decades ago - long before many people outside Germany had heard of Böll and even longer before his Nobel Prize - and was touched by his sensitive insights into the Irish character and his obvious goodwill towards Ireland, not to mention his wry humour and his eye for and obvious appreciation of the absurd.

I don't know if it's available in translation, but I'd recommend it as a really good read.:)

Doodah

A fascinating article in Der Spiegel. Helpfully translated into English by Eric Rosencrantz

Ireland - Germany
Well now that they own the country, they can up the corpo tax rates and transform us back into the Little people, if they want. Time to take up the diddley-eye dancin' and skip down to Killarney for the summer to entertain our guests and earn a crust. ::D

He3

On the button, Markus Feldenkirchen

Many foreign banks set up conduits in Ireland to offload the riskiest business from their home accounts. To cut those companies maximum slack, hardly anyone – and certainly not the state – came round to check in on the Dublin Docklands. And all of a sudden, chaste Ireland had something of a brothel about it: a place you go to do the dirty things you wouldn’t dare do at home.

Doodah

The analysis has a degree of empathy, so we can be thankful for small mercies.
A contrast, I suppose, to the cynicism of the Franco-German MEPs last week calling for the obliteration of the Irish economy.
But they do own the place now.

New Threads

Most Replies