Ireland Gets Home Rule Prior to WW1, How does the world Change?

General Urko

Now that we are approaching the 101st anniversary of the rising, I was wondering had we been given home rule, how does the world as we know it change?

I would suggest -

1 No partition of the island, as such.
2 We would still be in The UK to this day, similar to Scotland, probably with a lower per centage on the island as a whole supporting independence.
3 Possibly a Labour Party dominating our Westminister seat total of about 40 or so seats.
4 We would be as much of an economic backwater as Wales.
5 Much destruction during WW2, indeed it may have prolonged the war as The RAF would have to safeguard us, diverting resources away.
6 An NHS and The Education Act would have benefitted us substantially.
7 If Ireland isn't partitioned, the minority in Northern Ireland would not have been treated as badly, militant Irish Republicanism has little support.
8 A much higher participation rate and consequent greater slaughtering of Irish People during WW1!

RasherHash

No Easter Rising.

wombat

No Easter Rising.
I read an interesting book about the IRB - they supported Parnell and would likely have supported a Home Rule govt and worked toward independence without the need for a rising. Anyway, Home Rule never happened and the Rising did.

General Urko

Does getting home rule impact down the line in terms of other British Imperialist's Colonies eventually getting or not getting their independence?

gleeful

Scotland would have demanded and won home rule by the 30s. Would have led to a federal UK.

General Urko

Scotland would have demanded and won home rule by the 30s. Would have led to a federal UK.
There was a Scottish home rule bill around the time of The Irish one, it didn't get far!
Given that Scottish Independence was a very slow burner, I doubt it could have happened as early as you suggest.

TheField

Now that we are approaching the 101st anniversary of the rising, I was wondering had we been given home rule, how does the world as we know it change?

I would suggest -

1 No partition of the island, as such.
I'd agree with 1 above but not much more.

1. We'd have had no partition

2. There would have been an inexorable move from the conditions of the Home Rule bill towards a fully independent united Irish state.

3. We would have no bitter civil war

4. We would had no bitter period of The Troubles

5. The minority unionist position overall in the country would still have been numerous enough to offer protection to Protestantism down south and the worst excesses of the Catholic State could have been avoided or ameliorated.

Conclusion. The Easter Rising was a disaster in terms of our peaceful co existence of communities in a United Ireland. A century and more lost and thrown away.

Dame_Enda

I think there would have been a civil war between Orange and Green if it happened in 1913-18. Had it happened in 1886 it might have been soon enough to avoid that as Parnell was a Protestant which could be a reassuring factor for Unionists. Having said that I learned 20 years ago for my LC that Unionists at the time despised Parnell. Also in 1886 Unionist resistance was less well organised

But supposing it happened and there wasn't a Civil War. I think we would have been dragged into WW2, possibly conscription, and would be poor still as the UK would not have allowed low rate of corporate tax. We may well have suffered the fate of Belfast in the Blitz. But on a positive note, the power of the Church wouldn't have been as strong because the British would have wanted a form of HR with safeguards for Unionists. Our county councils as with NI would have been replaced with district councils. The police would be the RIC not Gardai.

Last edited:

gleeful

There was a Scottish home rule bill around the time of The Irish one, it didn't get far!
Given that Scottish Independence was a very slow burner, I doubt it could have happened as early as you suggest.
We are assuming the forces which prevented home rule in Ireland were defeated or quit the fight. With the successful example of Irish home rule the dynamic in Scotland would have altered.

Probably places like Cyprus and Malta would have looked at federal status with in the UK rather than independence too.

General Urko

I'd agree with 1 above but not much more.

1. We'd have had no partition

2. There would have been an inexorable move from the conditions of the Home Rule bill towards a fully independent united Irish state.

3. We would have no bitter civil war

4. We would had no bitter period of The Troubles

5. The minority unionist position overall in the country would still have been numerous enough to offer protection to Protestantism down south and the worst excesses of the Catholic State could have been avoided or ameliorated.

Conclusion. The Easter Rising was a disaster in terms of our peaceful co existence of communities in a United Ireland. A century and more lost and thrown away.
No Easter Rising, most likely means a lot of posters here, would not be around given increased Irish Participation rates in WW1 with subsequent higher slaughter rates of our forefathers and the destruction brought on top of us in WW2!

WW1 slaughtered the Unionists that would have started a civil war, it would have happened and it would have been a slaughter.

General Urko

We are assuming the forces which prevented home rule in Ireland were defeated or quit the fight. With the successful example of Irish home rule the dynamic in Scotland would have altered.

Probably places like Cyprus and Malta would have looked at federal status with in the UK rather than independence too.
And Gibraltar and may be Las Melvinas, hell even, The Isle of Man!petunia

General Urko

It's OK

- we now have a Home Rule Parliament

- within the Empire....
Ironically, the empire we are now subjected will soon be without The Britz! And we probably have less autonomy under this one than we would have had from The Britz under Home Rule!

gleeful

Ironically, the empire we are now subjected will soon be without The Britz! And we probably have less autonomy under this one than we would have had from The Britz under Home Rule!
We didnt exactly turn down a kind offer of home rule. It would never have happened - it would have been constantly delayed for one reason or another.

General Urko

We didnt exactly turn down a kind offer of home rule. It would never have happened - it would have been constantly delayed for one reason or another.
It was freaking a lot of Liberal MPs and they changed the rules in The House of Lords to facilitate its passing!

Catalpast

It was passed in September 1914

- in return John Redmond committed Nationalist Ireland to support the War effort

It was suspended for the Duration

- and Ulster would be sorted out some way or other

Work in progress...:cool:

General Urko

How would it have changed mainland British history?

Ireland only having 40 or so Westminister seats (The HR plan was destined to reduce our Westminister participation level to around this level) would not have been able to effect the course of British History as much as it did with 100 plus Westminister seats!

former wesleyan

If Home Rule is Rome Rule was the slogan partition could well have still been on the cards, although probably much different. If Home Rule had been implemented, why would Ireland have ended up worse off than Scotland or Wales financially ? Why would Ireland have joined in WW1 or 2 as Ireland was opposed to conscription ? Why would the RC Church not have been opposed to the NHS in the same way it was opposed to the Mother and Child Scheme ? Why would they have relinquished their hold on education ?

New Threads

Most Replies