Ireland has 5th most desirable passport in the world

mr_anderson

That’s the view of Nomad Capitalist, a firm that recently ranked 199 countries corresponding to their “value of citizenship.” In addition to visa-free travel options, this ranking (PDF) uses a weighted approach that considers the amount of taxes a country levies on citizens who live abroad, along with the nation’s overall global reputation, civil and personal freedoms, and the ability to hold multiple passports simultaneously.
And no, America, you’re not even in the top 20.

Atop the list is Sweden, followed by a bevy of other European Union nations. A Swedish passport allows visa-free travel to 176 countries or territories, just one fewer than world leader Germany. Moreover, Swedish expats can easily “get out of the high taxes in Sweden and go live somewhere else where there are lower taxes without a lot of headaches,” says Andrew Henderson, the veteran traveler, entrepreneur, and blogger who founded Nomad.

“Not too many people are getting into fights with the Swedes,” Henderson said in a video posted on Wednesday.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-03/the-most-desirable-passports-on-earth-don-t-include-america

Like all of these surveys/analysis, there's always a high degree of ambiguity and subjectivity.
Would posters here agree or disagree with Ireland's ranking ?
Should we be higher than Italy and/or lower than Switzerland ?

silverharp

the thing is though the Irish State has no resources to get large amount of people out of trouble if a civil war or natural disaster happened somewhere. The Germans or Brits have a fleet of military planes they could mobilise?

ruserious

Ironic that Italy is top 5 when you consider the physical quality of their national IDs and passports.

GDPR

All depends on how you define "best", I suppose. The most powerful passports in the sense that you can enter the largest number of countries without a visa or simply obtaining one on arrival are jointly the UK, Finland, and Sweden.

Ireland is in fourth place.

There is also the relative cost of obtaining a passport, which is sometimes factored in. The Swedish passport is definitely the most valuable here, costing only 33 euros for access to the same number of countries visa-free or on arrival as the British one, which will set back around 85 euros.

In general, a British passport is gold dust, but if you are kidnapped by the wrong people they will do you after the Israelis and Americans, in that order.

In answer to silverharp, in situations where the Irish did not have the scope to "lift" citizens, in my experience abroad, the deal was if you have an Irish passport and or on the Irish list, get thee to the Brits and they will take you along with them.

Which they did when they scooped some colleagues from Gaza a few years back in a bad scene.

Catalpast

All depends on how you define "best", I suppose. The most powerful passports in the sense that you can enter the largest number of countries without a visa or simply obtaining one on arrival are jointly the UK, Finland, and Sweden.

There is also the relative cost of obtaining a passport, which is sometimes factored in. The Swedish passport is definitely the most valuable here, costing only 33 euros for access to the same number of countries visa-free or on arrival as the British one, which will set back around 85 euros.

In general, a British passport is gold dust, but if you are kidnapped by the wrong people they will do you after the Israelis and Americans, in that order.

In answer to silverharp, in situations where the Irish did not have the scope to "lift" citizens, in my experience abroad, the deal was if you have an Irish passport and or on the Irish list, get thee to the Brits and they will take you along with them.

Which they did when they scooped some colleagues from Gaza a few years back in a bad scene.
As an EU passport holder you can seek the assistance of any EU Embassy if caught abroad ..

Also Ireland is still a Neutral State

- we are part of no Military Alliance

+ the Social Welfare is Brilliant!:D

GDPR

As an EU passport holder you can seek the assistance of any EU Embassy if caught abroad ..

Also Ireland is still a Neutral State

- we are part of no Military Alliance

+ the Social Welfare is Brilliant!:D
Just telling you how it works in practice, If you have lived in as many countries as I have and used both passports (I swap between them depending on the circumstances) you know these wrinkles.

A minor note is - if you are having wee bit problems, the Irish consulate is usually brilliant while the Brits will tell you to f*uck off and sort yourself out. On the other hand, if they are coming through the door with machetes, you want the Brits :)

Black Swan

I really should renew both my Australian and Irish/EU passports, in case of an emergency.

tsarbomb

The only place being an Irish passport holder is a bad thing is Columbia. Otherwise its pretty good.

Black Swan

Gold dust passports. You have no idea how lucky you are.
I've lived in Australia since I was a child in the early 80's, as a permanent resident. I didn't take out citizenship until the early-mid 2000's, when I realised how important it could be. I remember at primary school assemblies, reciting a pledge to love my country, honour my queen and obey the law.

Ireniall

Erudite Caveman

General Urko

Have you both a British and an Irish one?

Dub01

Possessing any sort of EU passport would be pretty valuable. Possessing an EU passport of a well liked, neutral country like Ireland would be even more valuable i would have thought.

Young backpackers in the eighties knew the most valuable passports on the black market were Irish, Australian and Swiss.

I wouldn`t be surprised if that was still the same.

NYCKY

New Threads