• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ireland in Space Program

Ulster-Lad

Ireland is to invest €17 million p.a on a European investment in space. Is this really the best investment for the economy and this stage and what sort of value are we going to get? Will we have to borrow the money to participate in this? At the very least we should be proud of the fact we are cutting all services in this country that will help us to pay for this.

Ireland will invest over E17 million a year in European Space programmes in the coming years, the Minister for Research and Innovation, Sean Sherlock told the European Space Agency Ministerial Council in Naples today.

Minister Sherlock, in his presentation to the Council announcing details of Ireland's strategic investment in ESA Space programmes said, "The Irish priority for the 2012 Ministerial Council is to invest in those ESA programmes that best serve our national strategy. ESA, with the support of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and Enterprise Ireland, is enabling rapid expansion and growth in established Irish space companies, as well as supporting emerging and established high potential start-up technology companies."
BUSINESS WORLD - Ireland to invest E17m a year in space

Catalpast

[Ireland is to invest €17 million p.a on a European investment in space. Is this really the best investment for the economy and this stage and what sort of value are we going to get? Will we have to borrow the money to participate in this? At the very least we should be proud of the fact we are cutting all services in this country that will help us to pay for this.

If it creates jobs for Irish Workers - Good

If it doesn't

BAD

meriwether

A country in a bailout programme should not be contributing to a supranational space programme.

For obvious reasons.

slippy wicket

If it goes towards r&d that leads to jobs here, great. Hard to justify in these austere times otherwise

Edo

Well lets face it - we have enough space cadets - especially on the Gov benches

17 million? - we spend that in 1 day in the admin department of the HSE

james5001

If it goes towards r&d that leads to jobs here, great. Hard to justify in these austere times otherwise
But surely we could use that money to create more constructive jobs (not construction jobs lol)

ruserious

I always knew our government had their heads in the clouds. They always seemed like spacers. Maybe the outcry from this lunar decision will bring them back down to orbit. I'm telling ya...watch this space.

(Coat is on and leaving...)

former wesleyan

I always knew our government had their heads in the clouds. They always seemed like spacers. Maybe the outcry from this lunar decision will bring them back down to orbit. I'm telling ya...watch this space.

(Coat is on and leaving...)
We're going at night !

westernyelp

17 million is small money relatively speaking, if it can buy us some good will, influence and a seat at a few tables in this burgeoning industry then it's a good thing for sure.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

If we start payment in 2013 then, in 2015, we'll have paid in over €51,000,000 and, according to the Minister Sean Sherlock, less than 430 jobs will have been created.

Good value?

MacO'velli

If we start payment in 2013 then, in 2015, we'll have paid in over €51,000,000 and, according to the Minister Sean Sherlock, less than 430 jobs will have been created.

Good value?
I wouldnt discount it, it could be a seed that grows in the future, I don't have much time for this government but Sherlock is one of their least unimpressive types, he does seem to "get" the opportunities in science and technology.

Hogsback

In fairness, at their recent meetings Enda may well have been asking Angela "can I explore Uranus?"

Ulster-Lad

Well lets face it - we have enough space cadets - especially on the Gov benches

17 million? - we spend that in 1 day in the admin department of the HSE
I know a few astronauts I would like to volunteer. ;)

Casillas

I wouldn't discount the idea that this could pay off in the future.

It probably wouldn't be any time soon though. Another government might benefit from this.

The OD

[Ireland is to invest €17 million p.a on a European investment in space. Is this really the best investment for the economy and this stage and what sort of value are we going to get? Will we have to borrow the money to participate in this? At the very least we should be proud of the fact we are cutting all services in this country that will help us to pay for this.

If it creates jobs for Irish Workers - Good

If it doesn't

BAD
Might not be a good idea during a bailout programme, however, I would disagree that to participate purely for the immediate benefit to us is 'BAD'. Mind you, the small minded lack of the long view is partly the reason why Ireland has a very poor record of entrepeneurship and we appear, as a race to lack the kind of business acumen you see elsewhere.

Dan_Murphy

It's absolutely a good idea, there have been a great many technologies invented thanks to investment in space travel, if anything we should give more.

hmmm

We are a rich country. We should be spending more of our national income on science, and less on Dept of Education administrators.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies