• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland Inc.

The Pleb

In recent years I began to hear the expression ‘Ireland Inc’ being used in the media. At first I assumed it was just that -an expression, but over time the references to Ireland (It was always just Ireland or Eire for most of my life, to my knowledge) as Ireland Inc became so common, and is used by so many – that it seems it is some sort of official title.

In trying to answer the question I came across stuff that suggests that Ireland is registered as a Corporation so I am assuming that the expression means Ireland Incorporated.

Can anyone enlighten me by answering the following questions;

Is Ireland Inc. an official or legal term, or whatever? What does it mean? What’s it’s significance?

When did it become Ireland Inc. as distinct from Ireland as it used to be?

How come Ireland seems to be the only country (that I’ve ever heard) with Inc added. I’ve never heard of France Inc. or Britain Inc. or wherever?

I look forward to hearing from you.

GDPR

In recent years I began to hear the expression ‘Ireland Inc’ being used in the media. At first I assumed it was just that -an expression, but over time the references to Ireland (It was always just Ireland or Eire for most of my life, to my knowledge) as Ireland Inc became so common, and is used by so many – that it seems it is some sort of official title.

In trying to answer the question I came across stuff that suggests that Ireland is registered as a Corporation so I am assuming that the expression means Ireland Incorporated.

Is Ireland Inc. an official or legal term, or whatever? What does it mean? What’s it’s significance?

How come Ireland seems to be the only country (that I’ve ever heard) with Inc added. I’ve never heard of France Inc. or Britain Inc. or wherever?

It's a counter to SF Ink.

ManUnited

It is just an expression mainly used by people who think we should (or even could) run the country like it's a business.

Dan_Murphy

[video=youtube;k3H7PNSqcpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3H7PNSqcpw[/video]

In all seriousness though, its just a term like the celtic tiger.

SideysGhost

It's actually hugely revealing about the true nature of the southern state.

It's still a colonial construct, run by and in the interests of landlords and bankers, managed by a native gombeen middleman class happy to exploit the peasants for their masters as long as they get to skim a bit off the top. It is NOT a Republic and it is NOT run by and in the interests of the people.

The only difference between now and the 19th century is the actual cast of people who really benefit, the fundamentals of the setup remain the same, with a thin veneer - pretense, really - of democracy painted on top to fool and pacify the herd.

ibis

It has no more official standing than "cool Britannia". What it means is that the author of the piece is viewing Ireland first and foremost as an economy, and often in the context of treating the Irish economy as if it were a large company - so in terms of 'competitiveness' and 'innovation'.

The equivalent term for the UK, but less used, is "UK plc".

ManUnited

It's still a colonial construct, run by and in the interests of landlords and bankers, managed by a native gombeen middleman class happy to exploit the peasants for their masters as long as they get to skim a bit off the top. It is NOT a Republic and it is NOT run by and in the interests of the people.

The only difference between now and the 19th century is the actual cast of people who really benefit, the fundamentals of the setup remain the same, with a thin veneer - pretense, really - of democracy painted on top to fool and pacify the herd.
Not really, it's not an Irish thing.

viper999

its is used now because when we took anglos private debts on board we turned from a nation to a debt financing kip! owned and controlled by banks and large corperations

greenbacks

In a nutshell, great post.

stopdoingstuff

It would be fine being Ireland Inc. if it were not for the somewhat skewed dividend policy.

alloverbartheshouting

Nice one, SideysGhost - I think you have summed up the continuing "fingers fumbling in a greasy till" attitude.

If I remember correctly, you're currently in Australia, right? As another post-colonial country, is there an Australia Inc. mentality, or does their economy prevent this attitude?

Killerbank

Its just another buzz word of the mainstream media.

Unfortunately its not just that. Its also indicative of a mindset that Ireland is not a country just a trading entity - and an American one at that, otherwise why not call it "Ireland Ltd" or, these days, perhaps Ireland GmbH?

This mindset is the same one that has in recent times come to refer to state activities as being businesses. Recent examples of this are when I heard the State postal service, An Post, and the State bodies like Bord na Mona and Coillte being referred to on RTE as "the company". Last year Dublin City Council abolished its rubbish collection service and apparently sold "the business" to a private company who trades for profit.

Ribeye

I would to agree with the previous speaker,

I would only change one word, amending herd to flock,

I don't want my bovine buddies insulted:)

Howya

It would be fine being Ireland Inc. if it were not for the somewhat skewed dividend policy.
Ad on the same note - the lack of any real corporate governance, remuneration committee (but we get an AGM every 5 years)

Howya

Unfortunately its not just that. Its also indicative of a mindset that Ireland is not a country just a trading entity - and an American one at that, otherwise why not call it "Ireland Ltd" or, these days, perhaps Ireland GmbH?

This mindset is the same one that has in recent times come to refer to state activities as being businesses. Recent examples of this are when I heard the State postal service, An Post, and the State bodies like Bord na Mona and Coillte being referred to on RTE as "the company". Last year Dublin City Council abolished its rubbish collection service and apparently sold "the business" to a private company who trades for profit.
Would you rather semi-states be refereed to as "The Firm"?

GDPR

"trades for profit" you say!!

My Christ, I am outraged. I this truly what we have been reduced to?

Ribeye

"trades for profit" you say!!

My Christ, I am outraged. I this truly what we have been reduced to?
What are you cursing about, even a free market Paulbot nutjob like me doesn't want to see profits being made by Corporatists, and that bin deal was pure Corporatism,