• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ireland is regaining its competitiveness.

Iphonista

There's yet more good news on the economics front with news breaking this evening that the country is regaining its competitiveness. We're up three places to in the World Competitiveness Ranking Scoreboard, rising to 17th. We now rank above the United Kingdom (18th), France (28th) and China (21st).

The country ranks particularly well on for investment incentives, attitudes to globalisation and for flexibility of the workforce coming in first on all three categories.

Ireland's competitiveness rises in IMD survey - RTÉ News.

Analyzer

Presumably they asked Apple if they found a government ministers who was supportive of the Apple in respect of investment in Internet Protocol ?

Last edited:

neiphin

sleeveen

james5001

I can't find the methodology it uses for its analysis. And yes, I have seen the methodology page, but it only goes into tiny detail from what I can see.

BlackLion

You call it competitiveness, i call it being shafted.

Iphonista

I was going to go to the cinema but I might just stay in and have a good chortle as the usual suspects try to contort this into A Bad Thing.

LDF

It's good news I suppose but I'd prefer us to be doing better on things like energy and non-wage labour costs. I'm not sure how an accountant would accommodate an "attitude" in a P&L stmt.

ManOfReason

There's yet more good news on the despair front with news breaking this evening that the country is regaining its desperation. We're up three places to in the World Desperation Ranking Scoreboard, rising to 17th. We now rank above the United Kingdom (18th), France (28th) and China (21st).

The country ranks particularly well on allowing tax avoidance, willingness to work with the devil himself and for flexibility of the workforce to bend over and take it in the ass coming in first on all three categories.

Analyzer

Hilarious result, considering the number of sectors where competition is still regarded as a dirty word.

How can an economy where banks are uncompetitive, where NAMA is rigging the real estate market, and where quangos enforce levies to push up the cost of existence, boast of competitiveness ?

Did somebody send free bottles of whisky to the committee doing the survey ?

Did anybody check out the legal profession, the medical profession, the auditting profession, the media sector with respect to competition, and uncompetitive practices ?

ibis

From the latest troika reviews:

Structural reform: the loss of competitiveness suffered during the boom years has been erased through a mix of increased productivity, falling prices in key segments of the economy and wage moderation. The fight against high unemployment, in particular long-term and youth unemployment, is a priority. Although the social welfare system sheltered the most vulnerable to some extent and fiscal consolidation has been progressive overall, 29.9% of the population was at risk of poverty or social exclusion in 2010. This makes job creation efforts all the more important. Overall, structural reforms have progressed well, yet at times too slowly.

H.R. Haldeman

I find this astonishing because when I go to the supermarket or dentist, when I pay the rent or go to the pub, or when I get a quote for a professional service, Ireland does not feel competitive. It still feels ball-achingly expensive. Perhaps the survey isn't measuring competitiveness the way I am though.

Analyzer

I find this astonishing because when I go to the supermarket or dentist, when I pay the rent or go to the pub, or when I get a quote for a professional service, Ireland does not feel competitive. It still feels ball-achingly expensive. Perhaps the survey isn't measuring competitiveness the way I am though.
Exactly. For most of us this is a pile of sh!te, that has no relevance to what we experience every day.

I am wondering....considering that this is so far off the reality of everyday experience.....just wondering...

Did PriceWanquorhouseCoopers do the survey ?

freewillie

Correct. Three local doctors practices have not reduced their charges by as much as one Euro. So much for competition

Anamnua

There's yet more good news on the economics front with news breaking this evening that the country is regaining its competitiveness. We're up three places to in the World Competitiveness Ranking Scoreboard, rising to 17th. We now rank above the United Kingdom (18th), France (28th) and China (21st).

The country ranks particularly well on for investment incentives, attitudes to globalisation and for flexibility of the workforce coming in first on all three categories.

Ireland's competitiveness rises in IMD survey - RTÉ News.
Tut, tut.
Politics.ie does not do good news.

Sense 0f Wonder

"Competitiveness" sounds like something global corporations and bullish national economies are into. Look where being the best little country in the world to do business got us over the past decade.... we lost our economic --and much of our political-- sovereignty.

Separately, it's difficult to create meaningful comparisons between small island nations like Ireland and bigger countries, like Germany and the UK.

Per capita, weird things can happen when you are dealing with small nations. For example, per capita, Ireland drinks a lot of tea, but remains a blip in the world tea market.

And competitiveness means different things in large economies with huge manufacturing bases than it does in small open economies that, at best, do well in niche manufacturing sectors.

What matters is whether your country is kicking arse or not... and Ireland is not kicking arse... unless you include our own arses. :D

There is way too much emphasis on these sorts of global comparative scales in Ireland... which are the equivalent of FIFA world rankings.. and about as meaningful.

Ireland is an anomaly. A small island nation, with few resources and an economy that is very much open... to suggestion. In sense this should liberate us from global comparisons to some extent.

Also important to note that with a margin of error of .1% in the global population statistics, Ireland may not exist at all... it was all just a bad dream... :D

Instead of hollering about our ranking in international sports day-style ranking events like this --which, are designed to please the global corporate masters and... no disrespect intended... reminds me that although our defense forces do very well in international competitions, they are not equipped or sufficient in number to fight off a boat-load of angry Faroe Islanders-- we should look at more important measures on the ground such as employment levels, distribution of wealth, and how much craic can be had.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies