Ireland is undergoing a 'Baby Boom'

seanmacc

RTÉ News: Birth rate at highest level for 30 years

Supposedly Ireland has its highest birth rate in 30 years. Is this one of the positive signs of the recession? We some of our contenental neighbours i.e Germany, France and Belgium with aging populations trying to encourage such a boom. The question that we have ask is have our politicians got the foresight to cater for these children in school construction ect. and possibly use this 'boom' to our economic advantage so we may possibly have Celtic Tiger v2.0

He3

This is good news. Congratulations to all the new parents reading P.ie.

To answer your question: no.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Whats the ethnic mix of these kids being born. Was in the rotunda last week, a lot of the preggers mothers were chinese and eastern europeans.

I reckon the baby bubble is caused because of the influx of young people from abroad in the last few years. Most immigrants would have been in their child baring years.

locke

have our politicians got the foresight to cater for these children in school construction ect. and possibly use this 'boom' to our economic advantage so we may possibly have Celtic Tiger v2.0
I believe the plan is to get the parents to emigrate so that we don't have to provide schools to cater for them.

PrinceMax

It is very good news. There'll be plenty of people to pay for NAMA and pensions.

Interista

Nothing new. Poverty goes hand in hand with higher birth rates, contradictory though that sounds.

johnfás

These statistics are a tiny bit misleading. If you want to measure population growth surely you should be measuring it in percentage terms which would require the introduction of the current population as a variable. The population was 800,000 lower in 1980 than it is today so the same number of births today as then is a much lower birth rate, though one variable is the same.

seabhcan

Whats the ethnic mix of these kids being born. Was in the rotunda last week, a lot of the preggers mothers were chinese and eastern europeans.

I reckon the baby bubble is caused because of the influx of young people from abroad in the last few years. Most immigrants would have been in their child baring years.
Are you saying there is something wrong with this? My own kid would fit both categories and his dad is Irish.

Cassandra Syndrome

This is the effect of couples who are no longer working every hour God sends them and suddenly have rediscovered a concept called intimacy.

Furthermore in times of gloom, our libido increases as the instinct to procreate is evoked by our sub conscious fearing the worst.

Supermanpolitician

This is the effect of couples who are no longer working every hour God sends them and suddenly have rediscovered a concept called intimacy.

Furthermore in times of gloom, our libido increases as the instinct to procreate is evoked by our sub conscious fearing the worst.
And I thought it was because people were having sex!

:)

I love the idea that you CS, know about how much intimacy is or isn't in any couple's relationship.

:)

bob3344

Supposedly Ireland has its highest birth rate in 30 years. Is this one of the positive signs of the recession? We some of our contenental neighbours i.e Germany, France and Belgium with aging populations trying to encourage such a boom.
Not quite accurate. In France the problem they are having is that not enough middle class people are having kids. The birthrate is high amongst the immigrant population. Similar story in Germany.

The issue isn't just numbers, but who is having the kids.

Last edited:

constitutionus

Supposedly Ireland has its highest birth rate in 30 years. Is this one of the positive signs of the recession? We some of our contenental neighbours i.e Germany, France and Belgium with aging populations trying to encourage such a boom. The question that we have ask is have our politicians got the foresight to cater for these children in school construction ect. and possibly use this 'boom' to our economic advantage so we may possibly have Celtic Tiger v2.0

every couple of years some genius in the CSO comes out with this assertation.

but were ALL still facing mandatory pensions in a few years - which a true baby boom would avert - so im calling it statistical bollocks.

as to the OPs question.

they didnt have a monkeys in the 70s so whats the odds they do now?

NONE.

seanmacc

Not quite accurate. In France the problem they are having is that not enough middle class people are having kids. The birthrate is high amongst the immigrant population. Similar story in Germany.

The issue isn't just numbers, but who is having the kids.
We have handled our immigrant population marginally better then France, they've shoved a lot of their immigrants into tower blocks and ghettos with an unholy amount of social problems. The majority of our immigrants are hard working people with family values. The Polish community in Ireland have assimilated very well, I can't see it being much of a problem.

seanmacc

every couple of years some genius in the CSO comes out with this assertation.

but were ALL still facing mandatory pensions in a few years - which a true baby boom would avert - so im calling it statistical bollocks.

as to the OPs question.

they didnt have a monkeys in the 70s so whats the odds they do now?

NONE.
Maybe by some miracle we might begin to start to learn from our mistakes. A good idea maybe a mass school building programme as a form of economic stimulis that the government seems to be draggin its feet on. At least we'd have something to show for it down the line.

constitutionus

Maybe by some miracle we might begin to start to learn from our mistakes. A good idea maybe a mass school building programme as a form of economic stimulis that the government seems to be draggin its feet on. At least we'd have something to show for it down the line.
that sounds suspiciously like sense...

...so itll never happen :)

charley

We have handled our immigrant population marginally better then France, they've shoved a lot of their immigrants into tower blocks and ghettos with an unholy amount of social problems. The majority of our immigrants are hard working people with family values. The Polish community in Ireland have assimilated very well, I can't see it being much of a problem.
they are housing a lot of the asylum seekers in the one area of towns rather than spreading them through the community ,this will cause issues in the future

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Are you saying there is something wrong with this? My own kid would fit both categories and his dad is Irish.
Without knowing more about your family, I dont care if your missus is a eastern-european chinese mix if thats what you are trying to take offense about.

Whats important is ensuring the Irish population is self sustaining not just the Irish + the blow-in population.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies