Ireland maintains its position in Least Corrupt Countries

dent

They shoulda gone to Specsavers.....

markjbloggs

The big caveat in the report is that the authors did not take into account that corruption here is legal......

flavirostris

What a joke. Have they heard Ahern's evidence at Mahon

Cael

Ireland number 14 in least corrupt countries worldwide in views of Transparency International.

Transparant fools international, more like.

ocoonassa

As Transparency International say themselves the Corruption Perceptions Index is meant to measure mere perception and "not reality".

So that explains that.

sport02

And sure we have one of the top ten leaders in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! Think it was newsweek that said that, do they have green tinted glasses on when looking at Ireland.

j26

So when FF fall from power we might drop to 3 or 4 on the list.

Funny everyone is ignoring the report because it doesn't tie in with your own perceptions.................no surprise there.

alonso

What a joke. Have they heard Ahern's evidence at Mahon
You'd have to look deeper into this study. The fact that Ahern, a sitting PM at the time (to use the international lingo) was hauled before a tribunal and then resigned as a result of his evidence would be seen as a 10/10 in terms of transparency. It doesn't seem to be about merely jailing people, but exposing them and we cannot claim that we knew nothing or that we know nothing. We elected De Bert and Charlie knowing what they got up to...

So that;s why we;re ahead of former Commies, South America and Africa

I have no effing clue why we're ahead of some western european countries... UK? Expenses row? Germany? No idea...

The problem in Ireland is not corruption in the strictest sense of the word. The problem is our sociopathic tolerance of a peculiar sort of Oirish gougerism and the associated low standards in public office and dangerously bad public services.

danger here

The problem in Ireland is not corruption in the strictest sense of the word. The problem is our sociopathic tolerance of a peculiar sort of Oirish gougerism and the associated low standards in public office and dangerously bad public services.
Nail on the fücking head

alonso

odie, i;ve read the report, I've read the methodolgy, I've lived here all my life. We have nothing to be proud of except markedly less corrupt than 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Transparency International don't regard Bertie Ahern's revelations to Mahon as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard the Anglo Bail out as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard the Galway tent as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard rezoning your friend's land as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard appointing your friends to State Boards because they were your friends as corrupt. I do

this report is great for the country if any powers around the world read it. But it's a load of oul sh1te in terms of reality for Irish people

odie, i;ve read the report, I've read the methodolgy, I've lived here all my life. We have nothing to be proud of except markedly less corrupt than 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Transparency International don't regard Bertie Ahern's revelations to Mahon as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard the Anglo Bail out as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard the Galway tent as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard rezoning your friend's land as corrupt. I do
Transparency International don't regard appointing your friends to State Boards because they were your friends as corrupt. I do

this report is great for the country if any powers around the world read it. But it's a load of oul sh1te in terms of reality for Irish people
As they are measuring us against everyone else then shows how we measure against everyone else.

borntorum

Well, yeah. But it kind of puts in perspective some of the more extreme hyperbole that is regularly seen on this site. If a foreigner took some of the posters here at face value, he'd think that half the population right now has been reduced to eating rats, and the only way it is ever possible to get a public sector job is to join or support FF.

Corruption, unfortunately, is a fact of nature that will always exist, no matter how hard we try to eradicate it. This international survey shows that, comparatively, we're not too bad. That should, amidst all the other horrible news we're faced with every day, a cause for some slender satisfaction. The fact that the usual sorts are on here immediately crying fix or denegrating TI says it all about their objectivity or interest in the truth

New Threads

Most Replies