• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Ireland may need nuclear power- Forfás

david

This has been discussed at length and I've said that although Ireland has publicly declared opposition to nuclear, the right money in the right pockets will reverse this position.

Nuclear has been debunked so many times it's almost boring but so many trillions have been put into it that it has supporters with more money than sense.

merle haggard

http://www.oilbarrel.com/datasheets/dat ... ym=PVR.ISE

so we,re running out of oil ? Or mebbe the governemnt just gave it away .

After the ExxonMobil farm-in, Providence holds 16 per cent of the Dunquin prospect, which covers 700 sq km, straddles five exploration blocks and has the potential to hold 25 trillion cubic feet of gas and 4 billion barrels of liquids.

Providence holds 80 per cent another frontier exploration licence, to the north of Dunquin in the central Porcupine Basin. This includes the Spanish Point discovery, which was drilled in 1981 and is thought to hold 1.8 trillion cubic feet of gas and 200 million barrels of liquids. Providence hopes to move this discovery towards development during 2006.
Sovereignty entails control of our resources . Thanks to Ray Burke and Tony OReilly the Irish people have eff all . And now theyre going to kill us all with some nuclear nightmare , as if sellafields not bad enough .
The trams in Dublin , their crowning acheivemnt of public service overturned about a fortnight after they went online . Theres major water seepage in the Dublin port tunnel and they reckon the tunnel roofs too low . The same politicians might want to build a nuclear plant now.

:|

Gladstone

Renewable energy doesn't give the same output as fossel fuels, were not gonna solve this problem with windmills.

EvotingMachine0197

We consumed 25,000 GWatt Hours of electrical energy in 2004. ESB generated 65% of this. We imported most of the rest.

This equates to 2800 MWatts of continuous power usage averaged over the year.

The VAT take on 1 years electrical billing is about 600 Million Euro (sort of guess). This would pay for the capital cost of 600 MWatts wind energy plant. (approx 1 Million quid per Megawatt). As this is almost 20 % of our usage, surely its a no brainer not to go after wind.

The gov have committed to 13% by 2008. We are currently on 3%. Its never going to happen.

Nuclear is a completely unnecessary option.

merle haggard

a relative of mine has recently built a house with a solar panel installed . this leaves them with constant warm water . Irelands building boom was an opportunity for the government to offer incentives , never mind insist upon, solar panels being fitted to all new properties . A major part of the problem of oil usage in this country and adherence to Kyoto protocols could be solved this way .

SPN

Marx said:
The State agency, Forfás, has warned Ireland will face a liquid fuel crisis in the next ten to 15 years and may have to develop a nuclear power station to supply its electricity needs.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0404/fuel.html

Any thoughts I am totally against any such move
Nukes don't produce liquid fuels. They produce electricity.

We can generate all the electricity we need using Energy Crops and Wind.

We can develop an Energy Crop Infrastructure for a fraction of the cost of a Nuke.

We can also potentially meet our liquid fuels requirement from Energy Crops using Sun Fuel Technologieshttp://www.mobility-and-sustainability.com being developed by Companies such as Volkswagen.

As usual, the headline writers have gone for the controversial, when the underlying message is much more important.

It is highly significant that Forfas has acknowledged Peak Oil and the fact that we need to start preparing for it NOW.

The Nukes issue is a red herring, and should be dismissed out of hand as such.

In a new report, the agency warned that the world is approaching a point termed 'Peak Oil', where global oil production can no longer be increased.

This will cause very rapid increases in oil prices and Ireland, according to the report, is one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to the crisis that would result.

It warns that a sudden and more imminent onset of 'Peak Oil' could require the suspension of the Ireland's Kyoto environmental targets, because we would become more reliant on carbon intensive fuels like coal, gas, and peat.

david

The Nukes issue is a red herring
Why is it red? 8)

and should be dismissed out of hand as such.
I sincerely hope it is what you say, I really do.

As you say, the acknowlegment of peak oil is significant; it comes none too soon but, as with so many of this government's 'commitments', I have no real hopes.

Read this as an example. It's from the Irish Times of the third of April 2006. I can't link to the original, "Taxpayers will pay high price for broken promises on Kyoto", because I am not subscribed to the paper.

EvotingMachine0197

Gladstone said:
Renewable energy doesn't give the same output as fossel fuels, were not gonna solve this problem with windmills.
Yes, but this is the same as saying a 50W lightbulb doesn't give the same output as a 100W bulb. However, TWO 50W bulbs do.

david

EvotingMachine0197 said:
Gladstone said:
Yes, but this is the same as saying a 50W lightbulb doesn't give the same output as a 100W bulb. However, TWO 50W bulbs do.
Which reminds me of another if-I-had-a-magic-wand-or-could-invent-an-uninventing-machine list item: that no-one on this planet should produce an incandescent light bulb ever again.

Marx

Website
www.labour.ie
There is much more that can be done to meet energy demands
Reducing consumption is one way just by switching off a light or unplugging a tv can make a significant difference. We also should consider reducing the price of energy efficient electrical goods from bulbs to washing machines.

EvotingMachine0197

david said:
Which reminds me of another if-I-had-a-magic-wand-or-could-invent-an-uninventing-machine list item: that no-one on this planet should produce an incandescent light bulb ever again.
I struggled a bit here David, but yes, I agree.

david

According to the March 31, 2006 London Daily Mail: - "The cost to the taxpayer of making Britain's nuclear power stations safe has soared to nearly £70 billion [US$122 billion], it emerged last night. Funding the cleanup of nuclear waste and decommissioning 20 civilian sites including Sellafield in Cumbria and Dounreay in Caithness, northern Scotland will cost far more than the original £48 billion estimate. The figure could be higher still because officials admitted they will not know the 'full costs' until 2008. And if the Government decided to reclassify plutonium as waste rather than as an asset, the costs would be pushed up by another £10 billion. The massive burden on the taxpayer was revealed as ministers confirmed the sale of British Nuclear Group, which will hand over control of Sellafield to the private sector". We thought this news item adds needed perspective to the notion that mitigating climate change with nuclear energy will be cost effective over the full life cycle. New sites will at some future point again have to be made "safe." Much of a wind turbine will have positive scrap value at the end of it's design life; while much of a nuclear generation station, and all of its uranium series waste will have a negative value.
I despair for the human race sometimes.

sioneach

I'm not in favour of nuclear power but it is, at this very late stage the only viable option. Wind energy and energy crops cannot provide enough energy for the country unless you completely remove tillage, beef and dairy agriculture. Gas supplies are already under strain. Peat and coal emit extremely high levels of CO2.

david

the only viable option
Bollix. You really need to gen. up on it.

The idea that it's going to solve our energy problems has, as I said, been thoroughly debunked, and that is before you look at the waste disposal problems.

Just like Roche's love affair with the producers and incinerators of waste, the world and his wife has no interest in energy consumption reduction.

sioneach

david said:
the only viable option
Bollix. You really need to gen. up on it.

The idea that it's going to solve our energy problems has, as I said, been thoroughly debunked, and that is before you look at the waste disposal problems.

Just like Roche's love affair with the producers and incinerators of waste, the world and his wife has no interest in energy consumption reduction.
No it won't solve our problems but unless this country secures a large energy source within the next ten years or so then we WILL have a major crisis. I would prefer that we didn't have to use it but what would you suggest?

SPN

sioneach said:
I'm not in favour of nuclear power but it is, at this very late stage the only viable option. Wind energy and energy crops cannot provide enough energy for the country unless you completely remove tillage, beef and dairy agriculture.
Can you provide a reference for this statement, or are you talking thru your backside?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies