Ireland must impose border controls with the UK now!

Lord Talbot

191 new cases in ROI today. Maybe NI will close the border for you.

greencharade

The number of identified cases is not the point.

The point is that NI, as part of the UK, has had an effective policy of letting it rip.

This means lots of unidentified infected people, who will inevitably infect others.

Simply put, it makes no sense to have one part of the island positively engaging in social isolation and distancing measures, whilst the other displays disregard for such approaches.

gijoe

Why do RTE insist on combining the Norn Iron figures with ours. They are doing their own thing up there. Report them separately. You might as well report a British Isles or EU figure at that rate for all its meaning.

devonish

The number of identified cases is not the point.

The point is that NI, as part of the UK, has had an effective policy of letting it rip.

This means lots of unidentified infected people, who will inevitably infect others.

Simply put, it makes no sense to have one part of the island positively engaging in social isolation and distancing measures, whilst the other displays disregard for such approaches.
Take off the blinkers, it's a week since your horsey types made it back from Cheltenham, hardly what I would call "positively engaging in social isolation". I went in to Belfast today to the office, the traffic on the way in at peak time was minimal compared to a normal working day, city centre practically deserted, office block down to about 10% of normal occupancy, not what I would describe as "displaying disregard". Yes schools closed a week after yours did and we're not carrying out enough testing, but it's a stretch to describe that as "letting it rip".

mangaire2

Why do RTE insist on combining the Norn Iron figures with ours. They are doing their own thing up there. Report them separately. You might as well report a British Isles or EU figure at that rate for all its meaning.
you ask - Why do RTE insist on combining the Norn Iron figures with ours.

because we're all part of the same herd, perhaps ?
& because perhaps, the border between Louth & Armagh & between Derry & Donegal is little different to the border between Kerry & Cork, for instance,
while the border between Ireland & Britain consists of several miles of ocean ?

I don't believe that I've seen ……….. ahem ………….. "British Isles" figures, but I have seen EU figures.

mangaire2

Take off the blinkers, it's a week since your horsey types made it back from Cheltenham, hardly what I would call "positively engaging in social isolation". I went in to Belfast today to the office, the traffic on the way in at peak time was minimal compared to a normal working day, city centre practically deserted, office block down to about 10% of normal occupancy, not what I would describe as "displaying disregard". Yes schools closed a week after yours did and we're not carrying out enough testing, but it's a stretch to describe that as "letting it rip".
do the "horsey types" north of the border, not go to Chelentham too ??

between the bridges

Build the wall...

Talk Back

Can't happen - there is no sovereign government in the occupied 6 counties of Ireland.

Even if Unionists wanted, they can't because they are now a minority in the north.

Irish people are the majority in the north now - Unionists lost their gerrymandered majority in Stormont in 2017.

The de-facto border between Ireland as a whole and Britain is now in the Irish Sea

There will NEVER-EVER be an artificial border through Ireland again.

Gwannow

ROI is still a sovereign state (just about).

Temporary controls for several months could be done.

But the Irish Tories seem to think that it is better to have people die than upset anyone.
As someone who wants a United Ireland as much as anyone - remember, we in the Republic regard our Ulster neighbours as Irish. I regard them as Irish men and women, the majority of whom were born on this island. Closing the border is not an option that we should take, and we are working in tandem with their health services. It would also be a slap in the face for the many there who consider themselves as Irish also.

greencharade

As someone who wants a United Ireland as much as anyone - remember, we in the Republic regard our Ulster neighbours as Irish. I regard them as Irish men and women, the majority of whom were born on this island. Closing the border is not an option that we should take, and we are working in tandem with their health services. It would also be a slap in the face for the many there who consider themselves as Irish also.
Well at least we have it clear now - the precious reunification project trumps everything.

There is no number of unwarranted deaths that counter it.

mangaire2

Well at least we have it clear now - the precious reunification project trumps everything.

There is no number of unwarranted deaths that counter it.
where's your evidence that the incidence of Covid19 is higher north of the border ?

Yes - the virus must be addressed on an all island basis.
What's required is that our FG government sit down & agree a common approach with their northern counterparts, that would benefit the people north & south - orange & green
Hardly a difficult task in current circumstances ?

myrak

Right. It’s not possible. Our govts should focus on what is possible.
What is possible is for people on the whole island of Ireland to have the common sense and common decency to stay home as requested.

JacquesHughes

After three or more weeks of lockdown, international travel will have to be resumed very cautiously. China, exerting controls, which benign liberal countries just don’t have, has just permitted travel within Hubei province, but not to or from Wuhan cf Brits could travel between different Home Counties but not in or out of London. Will there be a second wave there?

Emirates has just grounded it’s entire fleet. It will be a major decision to resume.

greencharade

So lots of new restrictions on the domestic population. But I don't see a mention of our borders.

Where do they think the "travel related" transmissions have come from?

Where could the "community transmission" also be coming from?

The open borders bigots have big questions to answer.

Popular Threads

Most Replies