Ireland must increase its spend on 'International Aid' - says Leo from Castleknock

Catalpast

Ireland must increase its spend on international aid says An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar
Mr Varadkar said: "By the middle of the year (2018) we'll have done some work on a review of our international development aid commitments.
"Ireland has fallen back quite a lot, first because of the recession and secondly, more recently, because of a very fast growing economy."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/time-has-come-for-ireland-to-start-increasing-spending-on-aid-says-varadkar/ar-BBHaEjy?li=AA4ZnA&ocid=spartandhp

Like has he lost the plot alltogether!:roll:

We are already spending over 724 million euros on overseas development aid acc to The Irish Aid Annual Report 2016

Meanwhile back home thousands of people are Homeless and everyday hundreds of sick people are put on trollies in hospital corridors while hundreds of thousands are on the sick list awaiting treatment

So why are we going to spend tens (possibly hundreds) millions more on helping people in other countries

- while back home are own people are told to wait their turn.......:|

ticketyboo

P.ie 's resident racist l'aurette is on my ignore list..therefore I am guessing that this is just another thread by which he'she demonstrates his/her xenophobia....?
God above...wouldn't masturbation be a more productive way to spend your leisure time...?

ionsniffer

P.ie 's resident racist l'aurette is on my ignore list..therefore I am guessing that this is just another thread by which he'she demonstrates his/her xenophobia....?
God above...wouldn't masturbation be a more productive way to spend your leisure time...?
he's entitled to his opinion.
if you don't like it you know where the door is.
also, report racist posts or you are a part of the problem.

dontcare

But the problems in housing and health is not down to funding so what's your point?

mr_anderson

How about we increase our international aid by paying our unemployed to do the work overseas ?

silverharp

is he going to be our own Justin Trudeau ?

General Urko

I can understand how such a proposal would appeal to fookwits in Leoland!
We must first analyze to the last where our current aid is going.
For example we are giving money to Uganda, which is then able to divert more of its own resources to act the serious bollex in wars in the region!

Dame_Enda

Only when the economies of the Third World can provide a decent living standard for their people will uncontrolled immigration cease. So provided the money goes where its needed - instead of to corrupt African governments -,a Marshall Plan for Africa makes sense if the money can be traced to avoid it going into a bottomless pit of corruption . The biggest problem in Africa is a lack of infrastructure, including clean running water, sanitation, roads, electricity and internet. I heard on Euronews today that just 10% in Madagascar have any kind of internet at all.

mr_anderson

Granted, it was meant facetiously, but not far off JFK's Peace Corps.

I genuinely didn't mean it that way.
It keeps the money in Irish hands whilst simultaneously helping the 3rd world.
It also makes unemployment a much harder lifestyle choice for the permanent abusers.
Our food aid should be bought from Irish producers too.

Catalpast

Its 'Racist' to question the size of our Foreign Budget now!:roll:

What do expect from a SF supporter anyway

- they want to increase it to ONE BILLION EUROS per annum

This money should be spent at home to help Irish Citizens

- how exactly is that suggestion 'Racist'?

Dame_Enda

In theory I agree. But in practice, we help Irish citizens more in the long run by making it more economically attractive for Third World nationals to remain in their home countries rather than coming to Ireland and competing for low wage jobs.

Catalpast

In theory I agree. But in practice, we help Irish citizens more in the long run by making it more economically attractive for Third World nationals to remain in their home countries rather than coming to Ireland and competing for low wage jobs.
I am not against Foreign Aid

- but 700 MILLION a year and growing is just nuts....

General Urko

Only when the economies of the Third World can provide a decent living standard for their people will uncontrolled immigration cease. So provided the money goes where its needed - instead of to corrupt African governments -,a Marshall Plan for Africa makes sense if the money can be traced to avoid it going into a bottomless pit of corruption . The biggest problem in Africa is a lack of infrastructure, including clean running water, sanitation, roads, electricity and internet. I heard on Euronews today that just 10% in Madagascar have any kind of internet at all.
But it is as an unintended consequence usually going into the arse pockets of dicktators and their cronies or permitting other money to be diverted into causing mayhem!

Mick Mac

Ireland is a good neo liberal country. We'll keep the funds moving and do our bit.

Irish citizens will understand that they are part of the global economy

Dame_Enda

These countries often fought hard for their independence but then their people voted with their feet by moving to Europe.

Breanainn

This is money that would be going to the DFA anyway, so presumably would have been spent on Embassies otherwise.

Mercurial

Ireland must increase its spend on international aid says An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar
Mr Varadkar said: "By the middle of the year (2018) we'll have done some work on a review of our international development aid commitments.
"Ireland has fallen back quite a lot, first because of the recession and secondly, more recently, because of a very fast growing economy."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/time-has-come-for-ireland-to-start-increasing-spending-on-aid-says-varadkar/ar-BBHaEjy?li=AA4ZnA&ocid=spartandhp

Like has he lost the plot alltogether!:roll:

We are already spending over 724 million euros on overseas development aid acc to The Irish Aid Annual Report 2016

Meanwhile back home thousands of people are Homeless and everyday hundreds of sick people are put on trollies in hospital corridors while hundreds of thousands are on the sick list awaiting treatment

So why are we going to spend tens (possibly hundreds) millions more on helping people in other countries

- while back home are own people are told to wait their turn.......:|
Why do you never make posts complaining about how much we spend on sport or the arts?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies