Ireland needs to join Schengen

seabhcan

I'm sick to death of Ireland being out of Schengen!

Last night my brother-in-law was flying to Dublin from Moscow. As there are no direct flight anymore from Russia to Ireland, you have to transit somewhere.

He had booked a flight through Dusseldorf. When he tried to check in in Moscow, they said he couldn't. Dusseldorf doesn't have a transit area - he'd have to pass German emigration to check into his dublin flight, and he didn't have a Schengen visa, only an Irish one.

This is such a stupid situation! If Ireland was in Schengen, like 28 other countries (All EU, plus Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, minus Ireland and UK) it would be no problem, he could fly. If he was transiting to some other city in the EU, no problem.

Ireland needs to join Schengen!

drbob1972

Ireland can't join Schengen until UK does as otherwise it will be a big mess, possibly even leading to the removal of the common travel area and in the extreme restoration of border checkpoints with the North

seabhcan

drbob1972 said:
Ireland can't join Schengen until UK does as otherwise it will be a big mess, possibly even leading to the removal of the common travel area and in the extreme restoration of border checkpoints with the North
The common travel area is a joke. You need a passport anyway, and there;s no common visa system - so transiting through the UK is a pain.

And to hell with the UK. Its only one country - I'd prefer to be with the 28 countries of schengen.

If we hang around waiting for the UK to do stuff, we'll wait forever. They still haven't joined the Euro. Good thing we didn't wait then.

White Horse

seabhcan said:
And to hell with the UK. Its only one country - I'd prefer to be with the 28 countries of schengen.

If we hang around waiting for the UK to do stuff, we'll wait forever. They still haven't joined the Euro. Good thing we didn't wait then.
Do you really want me to have to go through passport control and immigation checks everytime I go to see my grandmother 1 mile up the road in Crossmaglen?

Cop yourself on!

seabhcan

White Horse said:
Do you really want me to have to go through passport control and immigation checks everytime I go to see my grandmother 1 mile up the road in Crossmaglen?

Cop yourself on!
Is it such a hardship?

What about the cost to the economy of turning tourists away? There are millions of non-EU people living long term in the EU. None of them can visit Ireland because we have this daft system.

Wheres the logic there? Why does someone who may have lived in France most of their life have to get an Irish visa to visit here? And how many such people will bother, when they can go to any of the Schengen countries with out it.

fergalr

The system makes sense on the continent because, with the exception of Cyprus and Malta, all EU countries there can be driven across from one to the other. Ireland's and island anyway. It's only possible to enter through certain points so a passport isn't the most illogical thing to have in one's possession. The only international border we have is the one with the UK in Northern Ireland, so it makes sense for that reason -among others- to have a common travel area with them.

seabhcan

fergalr said:
The system makes sense on the continent because, with the exception of Cyprus and Malta, all EU countries there can be driven across from one to the other. Ireland's and island anyway. It's only possible to enter through certain points so a passport isn't the most illogical thing to have in one's possession. The only international border we have is the one with the UK in Northern Ireland, so it makes sense for that reason -among others- to have a common travel area with them.
The biggest issue here is not passport-free travel - its the common visa system.

With China, India and Russia becoming bigger trading partners Ireland will be left out if business people need a separate Irish visa. They just won't bother to come.

Imagine if one US state didn't accept a US visa? Who would go there?

MichaelR

seabhcan said:
I'm sick to death of Ireland being out of Schengen!

Last night my brother-in-law was flying to Dublin from Moscow. As there are no direct flight anymore from Russia to Ireland, you have to transit somewhere.

He had booked a flight through Dusseldorf. When he tried to check in in Moscow, they said he couldn't. Dusseldorf doesn't have a transit area - he'd have to pass German emigration to check into his dublin flight, and he didn't have a Schengen visa, only an Irish one.
He's a Russian citizen? Privet emu :)

Fly Belavia. Nice, inexpensive, no visa required for transit, and if you don't like flying twice you can take a train to Minsk.

MichaelR

On the topic: if joining Schengen is not an option because of the UK, perhaps it's time to create a *proper" Common Travel Area with the UK?

It's a joke - I (a non-EU national) can not legally go to London without a visa, but if I actually fly into London I just get waved through with no passport check! Seriously, tried this twice, and I actually TOLD them I'm a non-EU national. (Both times I was in transit to another place I could legally enter, but just wanted a walk around London in the time between flights. Enjoyed my walks with no police harassment whatsoever).

Why not make a common Ireland-UK visa, like the Schengen system? Would do wonders for non-EU tourism as well - get ovne visa, go to two states (or just around the entire island of Ireland).

seabhcan

MichaelR said:
On the topic: if joining Schengen is not an option because of the UK, perhaps it's time to create a *proper" Common Travel Area with the UK?

It's a joke - I (a non-EU national) can not legally go to London without a visa, but if I actually fly into London I just get waved through with no passport check! Seriously, tried this twice, and I actually TOLD them I'm a non-EU national. (Both times I was in transit to another place I could legally enter, but just wanted a walk around London in the time between flights. Enjoyed my walks with no police harassment whatsoever).

Why not make a common Ireland-UK visa, like the Schengen system? Would do wonders for non-EU tourism as well - get ovne visa, go to two states (or just around the entire island of Ireland).
That would certainly be logical and would help.

We could also unilaterally let people with UK and Schengen visas in. If a person passes Germany's strict entry requirements, why would we turn them away?

If someone wants to illegally enter Ireland from the UK they are able to anyway.

White Horse

seabhcan said:
White Horse said:

Cop yourself on!
Is it such a hardship?
Yes it is. There are families that straddle the border. It would be an obscenity to choose to erect a beauocratic Berlin wall to divide families and communities.

I can only think that you are drunk on on some form of medication to be advocating such a stupid idea.

seabhcan

White Horse said:
Yes it is. There are families that straddle the border. It would be an obscenity to choose to erect a beauocratic Berlin wall to divide families and communities.
There are identical situations all around the world. You'd just have to wave your passport or drivers license at some bored guard. He'd know you by sight after a while and won't even look at it.

fergalr

seabhcan said:
White Horse said:
There are identical situations all around the world. You'd just have to wave your passport or drivers license at some bored guard. He'd know you by sight after a while and won't even look at it.
Yeah, that's what we should have. Bored, sloppy guards on the border.

Inishowen

seabhcan said:
White Horse said:
You really are showing your ignorance of what its like living in a border community where crossing the border is a daily experience. Thankfully nowadays there is no physical border left or border posts and it makes life a lot easier for tens of thousands of us every day. We dont want it back.

seabhcan

fergalr said:
seabhcan said:
White Horse said:
Yeah, that's what we should have. Bored, sloppy guards on the border.
Its better than turning people away in the airports for no reason.

There was an article in the Irish times about the 1000 or so people deported in recent years who "hadn't intended to breach visa regulations" (i.e. "What do you mean my EU visa doesn't work in Ireland?")

I wouldn't be in favour of a border with NI, I'd be in favour of the UK joining Schengen too.

Inishowen

Thats all we need, 2-300 gardai going bored stupid sitting on a nonsense border that hardly exists anymore anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies