• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ireland now importing Herbs from Kenya and Spain. And doughnuts from France

YesSireeeBob

Was in Superquinn and Aldi the other day and buying some herbs

When I got home I was very surprised to see the mint had been imported from Kenya.

The herbs in Aldi were imported from Spain.

The 'Fresh from Superquinn" doughnuts were imported from France.

I understand we have to import goods, but these are very basic products that even an individual could produce in their Semi-D.

No wonder unemployment is so high in this country.

Image LINK

Last edited:

neiphin

we are a small open economy
the envy of all europe

people like you should just go away and commit suicide :D

Truth.ie

You can add potatoes from Israel, and blackberries from Peru.(Thats blackberries that grow in our ditches not the phones).
Oh, and wood from Lithuania to make our hurley sticks.

ruserious

Buy Irish Cod from the French. Now that is sick.

Truth.ie

And one of the few things we do produce in agriculture, beef....we can't even get that right.

Eire1976

When I got home I was very surprised to see the mint had been imported from Kenya.

I understand we have to import goods, but these are very basic products that even an individual could produce in their Semi-D.

Image LINK

For the clever and motivated amongst us, there is a business idea there to be grabbed.

Make a doughnut as good and slightly cheaper than the French and the World can be your oyster.

Ed O'Leary

[/IMG]

Well there is your business opportunity - stop moaning and give people an alternative - Irish people will buy irish if they have the opportunity as long as it hasn't got any horse dna in it.

probably other people in other countries having the same discussion about all the Irish agricultural produce on their supermarket shelves.

EmmettTCorcoran

Beef can be created more cost effectively in other places, why do we export so much beef so? Quality- I'm not sure which herbs or what type of doughnuts you're speaking of here but I would imagine if it was possible to get the same product (Quality and Quantity) here we would be sourcing it here if it was cost effective.

YesSireeeBob

Beef can be created more cost effectively in other places, why do we export so much beef so? Quality- I'm not sure which herbs or what type of doughnuts you're speaking of here but I would imagine if it was possible to get the same product (Quality and Quantity) here we would be sourcing it here if it was cost effective.
Chocolate ring doughnuts
All types of herbs - basil, mint ect all came from kenya / Spain.

here's a picture of the box

Last edited:

uz.r.ol.2.much

Twitter
nile_henri
i lived above a fine restaurant in barcelona and the fish which they are famous for came from lough foyle. my jaw near hit the floor when i saw the boxes stacked up in storage. food which i could afford once in a blue moon at home is on sale here for daily consumption.
the irish have a wealth of products that they are not marketing correctly. each region here has their own cheeses, wines, olives and other food products which are sold both locally and all over the country; not only are they superior to other foods, they are also an excellent source of income on the export market. thankfully factory farming hasn't destroyed everything here yet. ireland should be doing the same. our whiskey industry is lamentable for example.

Truth.ie

i lived above a fine restaurant in barcelona and the fish which they are famous for came from lough foyle. my jaw near hit the floor when i saw the boxes stacked up in storage. food which i could afford once in a blue moon at home is on sale here for daily consumption.
the irish have a wealth of products that they are not marketing correctly. each region here has their own cheeses, wines, olives and other food products which are sold both locally and all over the country; not only are they superior to other foods, they are also an excellent source of income on the export market. thankfully factory farming hasn't destroyed everything here yet. ireland should be doing the same. our whiskey industry is lamentable for example.
200 whisky distilleries in Ireland in the 1800's, providing labour and also revenue for farmers.
There's so much land in Ireland lying idle, it's unbelievable.
If land is not being used for farming it should be planted with woodland.
Trees grow faster in Ireland than anywhere else in Europe, but get this...we have less woodland/forestry than Tunisia.
List of countries by forest area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There's huge money in timber. Another example of wasted opportunities
Seems like we think we can build an economy based on E.U grants.

Hewson

A lot of the frozen hake we use comes from Spain - having been imported there from Ireland straight from the sea.

Potatoes from Israel is the equivalent of Eskimos importing ice to make iglooes.

kalipa

Tea Party Patriot

Those products are labour intensive, wages are still too high here to compete in those sectors. That is the reality.

slippy wicket

The only reason that you have herbs from Kenya in y
The supermarket now is down to seasonality. It's not cost efficient to grow herbs under glass for the winter months on a commercial basis.

Truth.ie

The only reason that you have herbs from Kenya in y
The supermarket now is down to seasonality. It's not cost efficient to grow herbs under glass for the winter months on a commercial basis.
Yet, it seems cost effective in Holland, which doesn't have an army of unemployed.
They produce an incredible array of products.
They have mile after mile of all-year farming under glass.
We should be the bread basket of Europe.
Travel through the Continent and you can see the difference in attitudes to farming between Ireland and abroad.
Someone mentioned Spain.
It's practically solid rock, and arid soil, but they rarely waste even an acre of land, and you'll find something growing anywhere you go.

blokesbloke

The only way around it is to leave the imported items on the shelf and contact the supermarkets to tell them you want Irish-sourced products.

In general though supermarkets will source from wherever is cheapest, so whilst I support the idea of buying Irish, it might mean higher prices.

stopdoingstuff

Because it is subsidized.

Truth.ie

The only way around it is to leave the imported items on the shelf and contact the supermarkets to tell them you want Irish-sourced products.

In general though supermarkets will source from wherever is cheapest, so whilst I support the idea of buying Irish, it might mean higher prices.
Don't think the supermarkets are to blame.
Farmers won't do anything unless it involves E.U grants or handouts.
You could drive from Dublin to Cork in mid summer and almost not see a field turned or ploughed

stopdoingstuff

As we all know from out 1st year Commerce classes, the factors of production are land, labour, capital and enterprise. If we are rich in the first three, then the problem lies with the last one. No amount of economic planning can make up for failure to perceive or inability to act on an opportunity. It all gets back to the subjective make up of entrepreneurs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies