Ireland on the eve of the 1916 Rising was not a poor, oppressed or downtrodden country.

death or glory

Global Justice

Gordon Lucy :lol: Might as well be Sir Gordon of Lucy MBE OBE :lol:

Ireland was annexed, colonised and imperialised by a foreign entity and empire that raped other parts of the world, Gordon.

Were Britain also correct in stealing Kenya? Egypt? India? China? Cyprus? Palestine? Jamaica? I mean I can go on, Gord.

No excuses and revisionism can amend what your imperialism was about, Gordy.

all the best

There is a good thread in the history section about a general strike of postal workers in the new Free State,the workers went on strike when the government ended the bonus payments they got when they worked for Royal Mail,the minister in charge called them all traitors,sent in the army to clear pickets killing some,at the same time the old age pension was cut from 10 shillings to nine shillings a week,cabinet ministers then voted themselves a one thousand pounds per year pay rise to £1750 per year at a time when a British MPs salary was £400 per year,but I am sure it was all done with the best interests of the people,like revolutionary governments have always done.

Global Justice

Just looked at Lord Sir Gordy's credentials. Reads like a Bridget/ardsman falsified CV:

Gordon Lucy B.A.

Born in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.Educated at Portora Royal School, Enniskillen and Queen’s University of Belfast. Gordon Lucy has an Honours degree in History and is a qualified teacher.He is a well regarded Ulster historian and the author of a number of books on unionist history, including The Ulster Covenant (1989) and The Great Convention (1995), and has co-edited (with John Erskine) Varieties of Scottishness (1995), which examines the relationship between Ulster and Scotland, and (with Elaine McClure) The Twelfth: What it means to me (1997), Remembrance (1997) and Cool Britannia? What Britishness means to me (1999) and most recently Schomberg (2004). Mr Lucy is also Hon. Treasurer of the Ulster-Scots Heritage Council, an umbrella organisation for Ulster-Scots groups both in Northern Ireland and the Republic.

:lol:

And anyway, Lord Sir Gordon of Lucifer MBE OBE obviously hates democracy as much as his peers. Is Gordon Lucifer not aware of the WOI and the actual want for the majority for home rule or does that escape the Knight Lord OBE MBE CBE?

Talk about a hack and propagandist. Imperialists are getting worse by the day.

cut the begs

There is a good thread in the history section about a general strike of postal workers in the new Free State,the workers went on strike when the government ended the bonus payments they got when they worked for Royal Mail,the minister in charge called them all traitors,sent in the army to clear pickets killing some,at the same time the old age pension was cut from 10 shillings to nine shillings a week,cabinet ministers then voted themselves a one thousand pounds per year pay rise to £1750 per year at a time when a British MPs salary was £400 per year,but I am sure it was all done with the best interests of the people,like revolutionary governments have always done.
sounds like stormont.with the sf/dup.cuts

Global Justice

For a "failed" rising, it was fairly successful.

Eejit.
They are bitterly jealous that the Easter Rising was the catalyst to kick them out of the 26 Counties. They deliberately have amnesia about this.

But they still commemorate the actually failed 'Ulster' Covenant which is no way never no more

all the best

Just looked at Lord Sir Gordy's credentials. Reads like a Bridget/ardsman falsified CV:

Gordon Lucy B.A.

Born in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.Educated at Portora Royal School, Enniskillen and Queen’s University of Belfast. Gordon Lucy has an Honours degree in History and is a qualified teacher.He is a well regarded Ulster historian and the author of a number of books on unionist history, including The Ulster Covenant (1989) and The Great Convention (1995), and has co-edited (with John Erskine) Varieties of Scottishness (1995), which examines the relationship between Ulster and Scotland, and (with Elaine McClure) The Twelfth: What it means to me (1997), Remembrance (1997) and Cool Britannia? What Britishness means to me (1999) and most recently Schomberg (2004). Mr Lucy is also Hon. Treasurer of the Ulster-Scots Heritage Council, an umbrella organisation for Ulster-Scots groups both in Northern Ireland and the Republic.

:lol:

And anyway, Lord Sir Gordon of Lucifer MBE OBE obviously hates democracy as much as his peers. Is Gordon Lucifer not aware of the WOI and the actual want for the majority for home rule or does that escape the Knight Lord OBE MBE CBE?

Talk about a hack and propagandist. Imperialists are getting worse by the day.

I know you don't do ad hominem attacks or use deflection,but it really really looks like you did here with this quite long attack on Mr Lucy's integrity,you haven't attempted to refute anything he said just called him a prod count for saying it.Do you have an honours degree in history,if not that would certainly explain the ignorant response.

Global Justice

I know you don't do ad hominem attacks or use deflection,but it really really looks like you did here with this quite long attack on Mr Lucy's integrity,you haven't attempted to refute anything he said just called him a prod count for saying it.Do you have an honours degree in history,if not that would certainly explain the ignorant response.
His partial credentials:

"....author of a number of books on unionist history, including The Ulster Covenant (1989) and The Great Convention (1995)..... The Twelfth: What it means to me (1997), Remembrance (1997) and Cool Britannia? What Britishness means to me (1999) and most recently Schomberg (2004). Mr Lucy is also Hon. Treasurer of the Ulster-Scots Heritage Council, an umbrella organisation for Ulster-Scots groups both in Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Really?

He doesn't mention nothing about the WOI and British imperialism. That's my refutation to the hack.

all the best

For a "failed" rising, it was fairly successful.

Eejit.
The rising was a disaster,but Sinn Fein`s 1918 election campaign fought on an anti conscription ticket was genius,the way the first world war was going it looked like there wouldn't be a man older than 18 or younger than 50 left in the world,Ireland's future leaders then had to paint the rising as a success so as not to look like a bunch of ducks for having been involved in it.

Global Justice

The British execution of Freedom Fighters in the rising was a disaster.
Fixed that for you. (The rest to me just looked like a pile of commas.)

Get out of your imperialist bubble. What right did anyone have to imperialise, annex and misrule another territory without resistance?

all the best

His partial credentials:

"....author of a number of books on unionist history, including The Ulster Covenant (1989) and The Great Convention (1995)..... The Twelfth: What it means to me (1997), Remembrance (1997) and Cool Britannia? What Britishness means to me (1999) and most recently Schomberg (2004). Mr Lucy is also Hon. Treasurer of the Ulster-Scots Heritage Council, an umbrella organisation for Ulster-Scots groups both in Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Really?

He doesn't mention nothing about the WOI and British imperialism. That's my refutation to the hack.
Are you dictating what interests a man is allowed to have,his qualifications mean he should know the facts,if he is wrong you should refute what he says and embarrass him,if you can't your attack on him because of his background just embarrasses you.

Global Justice

Are you dictating what interests a man is allowed to have,his qualifications mean he should know the facts,if he is wrong you should refute what he says and embarrass him,if you can't your attack on him because of his background just embarrasses you.
Why didn't he mention British imperialism in Ireland? The Penal Laws which hardened native attitudes towards the colonialists? The WOI? The 1918 SF election? The very first Bloody Sunday? I can go on.

C'mon, I'm refuting him and you here.

Fact is he is a hack.

DT123

Why didn't he mention British imperialism in Ireland? The Penal Laws which hardened native attitudes towards the colonialists? The WOI? The 1918 SF election? The very first Bloody Sunday? I can go on.

Fact is he is a hack.
You're a box packer Gnoballs.

Doing night shift packing boxes. You haven't a credential to your name ffs.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

all the best

Fixed that for you. (The rest to me just looked like a pile of commas.)

Get out of your imperialist bubble. What right did anyone have to imperialise, annex and misrule another territory without resistance?
Global justice you couldn't fix me a drink and there hasn't been a British empire since well before I was born,even my father was only 5 years old when India became independent,so I think you might be talking nonsense,is it because you have nothing better.

Global Justice

You're a box packer Gnoballs.

Doing night shift packing boxes. You haven't a credential to your name ffs.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
No, I'm not, Tremens. Why did you tell lies again for?

I posted facts. Refute them instead of deflecting.

Thanks, buddy.

Global Justice

Global justice you couldn't fix me a drink and there hasn't been a British empire since well before I was born,even my father was only 5 years old when India became independent,so I think you might be talking nonsense,is it because you have nothing better.
Do you not see a pattern in the British Empire's misadventures in India and in Ireland? What's the difference?

(Serious question by the way.)

all the best

Fact is he is a hack.
You are accusing him of being a hack because he didn't go into the entire history of ireland in a half page newspaper article and nor have you refuted anything he claims as a fact.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies