Ireland on verge of Celtic Tiger II?

Lucan Lefty

Building boom on the way as Brexit forces firms to Ireland

Ireland is set for an office-building boom to host financial services firms relocating due to Brexit. Almost 4.5 million square feet of commercial space is under construction or refurbishment and a further five million square feet of accommodation with full planning permission is available in the Greater Dublin area, a report from the Department of Finance said.

Interesting enough article from the Times but it may have some hidden stories behind it me thinks, nothing sinister mind but with this present Government in a tizzy and Fianna FÁil waiting in the long grass ready to pounce the housing boom may just be making a quick return one has to feel. In saying that I have no doubt that Fianna Fáil will get into some sort of power sharing Government after the next General Election and I suspect the manifesto will without doubt include a major building programme of work, the Election mantra will outline this. It is no secret that the Soilders of good Forture like a bit of building.

Area's across Dublin like Clonburris a 86 hectar landmass wedged in between Lucan/Clondalkin and the North Fringe out by Darndale/Donameade and additional areas close to Lucan stretching up towards Newcastle also in Dublin Mid West and lands up by Blanchardstown and Finglas are prime locations for housing developments, so i think will we see the shovels in the ground sooner rather than later.

One point I would like to make is that its not just a Dublin thing, I am only just taking pointers and those with better geographical knowledge than I in other areas of Ireland can point to those lands. (But for christ sake dont mention the Waterford/Kilkenny land grab) :lol:

In addition, Property developers will as usual have the obligation to provide social housing in new schemes under planning laws. Under existing laws builders can exchange money or land instead of setting aside up to 7% (I think its 7) of new developments for social or affordable use, a provision under Part V of the Planning Act. The Housing Department tell us that the changes will produce at least 4,000 extra units of social housing between now and 2020. Not enough in my books but if they say 4,000 Social Unit, using the 7% figure then that is only 58,000 units in total, right?

I feel the housing shortage may continue with those figures but I think its underestimated by a long shot as the reasoning behind the Celtic Tiger II headline because if and when Fianna Fáíl get power, I can see this figure multiplied x 4 or 5.

Thoughts?

wombat

The original phrase "Celtic Tiger" was coined to describe the rapid industrial growth of the late 90's and was a copy of the "Asian Tiger" economies of Sth Korea, Taiwan, Singapore. Towards the end of the 90's early 21 century, wage inflation in the construction industry was effecting industrial development in 2 ways - companies had to raise wages above foreign competitors and industrial construction costs were a deterrent to new investment. What is commonly called the Celtic Tiger now was a house building bubble which killed the Tiger.

gerhard dengler

Building boom on the way as Brexit forces firms to Ireland

Ireland is set for an office-building boom to host financial services firms relocating due to Brexit. Almost 4.5 million square feet of commercial space is under construction or refurbishment and a further five million square feet of accommodation with full planning permission is available in the Greater Dublin area, a report from the Department of Finance said.

Interesting enough article from the Times but it may have some hidden stories behind it me thinks, nothing sinister mind but with this present Government in a tizzy and Fianna FÁil waiting in the long grass ready to pounce the housing boom may just be making a quick return one has to feel. In saying that I have no doubt that Fianna Fáil will get into some sort of power sharing Government after the next General Election and I suspect the manifesto will without doubt include a major building programme of work, the Election mantra will outline this. It is no secret that the Soilders of good Forture like a bit of building.

Area's across Dublin like Clonburris a 86 hectar landmass wedged in between Lucan/Clondalkin and the North Fringe out by Darndale/Donameade and additional areas close to Lucan stretching up towards Newcastle also in Dublin Mid West and lands up by Blanchardstown and Finglas are prime locations for housing developments, so i think will we see the shovels in the ground sooner rather than later.

One point I would like to make is that its not just a Dublin thing, I am only just taking pointers and those with better geographical knowledge than I in other areas of Ireland can point to those lands. (But for christ sake dont mention the Waterford/Kilkenny land grab) :lol:

In addition, Property developers will as usual have the obligation to provide social housing in new schemes under planning laws. Under existing laws builders can exchange money or land instead of setting aside up to 7% (I think its 7) of new developments for social or affordable use, a provision under Part V of the Planning Act. The Housing Department tell us that the changes will produce at least 4,000 extra units of social housing between now and 2020. Not enough in my books but if they say 4,000 Social Unit, using the 7% figure then that is only 58,000 units in total, right?

I feel the housing shortage may continue with those figures but I think its underestimated by a long shot as the reasoning behind the Celtic Tiger II headline because if and when Fianna Fáíl get power, I can see this figure multiplied x 4 or 5.

Thoughts?
It would be worth checking when planning permission was applied for and when building work commenced, for locations in Dublin.

Most days I pass the Blackpitts in Dublin City centre. You'll see as you pass that location several cranes and a couple of building sites. One could be lulled in to thinking that perhaps the building works there and Brexit are connected. They're not connected, because what is being built was planned and applied for long before the Brexit decision.

Accidental sock

Finally, I might be able to offload these magic beans.

Lucan Lefty

It would be worth checking when planning permission was applied for and when building work commenced, for locations in Dublin.

Most days I pass the Blackpitts in Dublin City centre. You'll see as you pass that location several cranes and a couple of building sites. One could be lulled in to thinking that perhaps the building works there and Brexit are connected. They're not connected, because what is being built was planned and applied for long before the Brexit decision.
Seen that building and it is squeezed in!!

Lucan Lefty

The original phrase "Celtic Tiger" was coined to describe the rapid industrial growth of the late 90's and was a copy of the "Asian Tiger" economies of Sth Korea, Taiwan, Singapore. Towards the end of the 90's early 21 century, wage inflation in the construction industry was effecting industrial development in 2 ways - companies had to raise wages above foreign competitors and industrial construction costs were a deterrent to new investment. What is commonly called the Celtic Tiger now was a house building bubble which killed the Tiger.
Well then its a pobbilble bubble then, FF in Government will exercise its building muscles i have no doubt. Building is a comin and them cranes will be dusted off and erected once again.

Now controlling the housing prices thats another thing to watch out for. But I for one hate the Social Housing Units built away from estates, they scream Social housing and give that stigma of being on the Social.

cabledude

Bring it on.......

asset test

New Amazon under construction in Tallaght is humungous.

Tallaght itself is like some place in America anyway with all the outlets all along the road, Belgard I think it is. Was an eye opener to me. Don't go there often. Whoa.

flavirostris

agghh.. FF get in again... use all the cash swirling through govt coffers to buy the next two elections, while inflating another bubble..

Give Chopra and the IMF crew a call around 2025..

Accidental sock

wombat

But I for one hate the Social Housing Units built away from estates, they scream Social housing and give that stigma of being on the Social.
If you go into the older areas of Dun Laoghaire, you will see that its quite mixed in that streets of council houses connect to streets of private housing so it is possible to mix private and council houses in the same general area. There is no reason why a large development like Cherrywood which will be virtually a new town can't have a mix of house types.

im axeled

has not noonan made land advailable to come on stream next year, from a budget a few years back

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies