Ireland: one of the safest countries in the world in which to drive.

SPN

They do in their bollix! For example, most people seriously underestimate the distance it would take to come to a stop in an emergency. We're not talking a foot or two here; we're talking 20 or 30 yards.

More than that, drivers often dont know what hazards lie ahead. There are far more dangers on the road than simply the car ahead.
Lad, I'm just sharing information with you.

Go do some reading on Road Safety Engineering and learn something before shooting your mouth off.

JimmyFoley

Lad, I'm just sharing information with you.

Go do some reading on Road Safety Engineering and learn something before shooting your mouth off.
Drivers' underestimations of stopping times and distances are so well known Im surprised you're even bothering to argue. It's about as uncontroversial an observation as noting that mobile phones are distracting is.

SPN

Drivers' underestimations of stopping times and distances are so well known Im surprised you're even bothering to argue. It's about as uncontroversial an observation as noting that mobile phones are distracting is.
I'm not arguing.

I'm telling you how speed limits are set, in order to get the best results, all over the world, since the 1960s.

Your opinion vs Road Safety Engineers research.

No contest.

JimmyFoley

I'm not arguing.

I'm telling you how speed limits are set, in order to get the best results, all over the world, since the 1960s.

Your opinion vs Road Safety Engineers research.

No contest.
Not my opinion. Simple facts.

You toddle off and find me studies by reputable bodies, showing that most drivers accurately estimate stopping distances and times. Then we'll talk.

Waiting patiently...

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
Is this the right thread for a discussion on the proposed drink driving changes?

Wascurito

Any details on deaths per distance driven, I wouldn't want the quangos clapping themselves on the back for factors outside their control
No, really. Your hair is lovely. Why can't you take a compliment?

What you're looking for is here on page 18. And we're 4th safest in the EU by that measure too.

(Third safest when the Brits brexit.)

Patslatt1

The Gardaí have done an excellent job in regards to drive awareness campaigns.
Do you mean the RSA radio ads? Two suggestions for the RSA. First,It should promote an increased distance for parking close to corners at junctions as in the UK since emerging traffic can find it difficult to see oncoming traffic where the view is blocked by parked cars. Second, it should condemn dangerous overtaking, maybe the most common of the worst traffic offences. The Gardai should do more to catch dangerous overtaking by positioning observers in places where it is most frequent.

good dog

They do in their bollix! For example, most people seriously underestimate the distance it would take to come to a stop in an emergency. We're not talking a foot or two here; we're talking 20 or 30 yards.

More than that, drivers often dont know what hazards lie ahead. There are far more dangers on the road than simply the car ahead.
Depends what you're driving. I expect you're used to a clapped out old motor.

hammer

Based on the preliminary crash investigations, conducted by gardai at the scene of fatal crashes in the first six months of this year, we have been able to establish, in many cases, if a seatbelt was in use or not at the time of the collision.

Almost a third (28pc) of drivers and a quarter (25pc) of passengers were found not to have been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the fatal crash.

What the fu ck is wrong with some people

Sweet Darling

Based on the preliminary crash investigations, conducted by gardai at the scene of fatal crashes in the first six months of this year, we have been able to establish, in many cases, if a seatbelt was in use or not at the time of the collision.

Almost a third (28pc) of drivers and a quarter (25pc) of passengers were found not to have been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the fatal crash.

What the fu ck is wrong with some people
Natural selection

Spirit Of Newgrange

i have not seen many Gardai out doing breathalyzers for drink driving, but loads of Gardai check that i have paid my road tax.

Half Nelson

Do you mean the RSA radio ads? Two suggestions for the RSA. First,It should promote an increased distance for parking close to corners at junctions as in the UK since emerging traffic can find it difficult to see oncoming traffic where the view is blocked by parked cars. Second, it should condemn dangerous overtaking, maybe the most common of the worst traffic offences. The Gardai should do more to catch dangerous overtaking by positioning observers in places where it is most frequent.
The RSA is now sponsoring RTE, so there's not much chance of that institution throwing a critical eye on anything the RSA might say or do.

RSA-AA Insurance-RTE - one big happy family.

publicrealm

I think slow driving is a bigger issue - it leads to dangerous overtaking. It's not unusual to find someone at the head of a long queue of traffic, doing 50 in a 100kph zone.

I would dearly love to see the RSA talk about it and Gardai pulling over offenders for a chat and an eye test.

Al.

Almost a third (28%) of drivers and a quarter (25%) of passengers were found not to have been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the fatal crash.

What ... is wrong with some people
Natural selection
No such thing. But are you saying that guards and insurance/assurance/other litigation should have no involvement in road accidents/tragedies/erratic behaviour because of the Darwinian canard?

Misbehaviour is learned just as much as good behaviour is.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Apparently if you are a pregnant woman the foetus has to be able to take control of the vehicle should you faint or fall asleep.

Love both, and so on.

Bit wrong though as in fairness foetus can't really have even a provisional license as it technically doesn't have a place of abode from where it can apply or ask for a provisional license to be sent.

Probably discriminatory when you think about it at least until the Dail has refocused the foetus as not actually the same as an adult female citizen.

Hunter-Gatherer

Having nearly been splattered by a fella driving while texting , one question. How many drivers have got convictions for driving and mobile phone use ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies