• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland. Sale on Now!

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
Often the First Original Thought is the Deepest!

After the Celtic Tiger boom, or if you like, the busy season, what do successful retail businesses do?

They have a sale of course!

I propose all Hotels, B&Bs, Restaurants, pubs, Theatres, Concert venues, and tourist traps in Ireland announce a National Sale this wintertime.
Airlines and Ferries should cut prices and we should invite the whole world to Ireland!

All communities should be encouraged to decorate their local areas with bunting and lights and free Irish music should be heard everywhere. Especially those lovely melodic songs that once were heard in all the best films set in or about Ireland.

It's my belief most foreigners here come for the Walt Disney Ireland. Let's give it to them.
Once upon a time in the retail businesses we were told the customer is always right! I think for the most part that is still the truth of the matter.

Let's get those Irish loving foreigners back in the largest numbers ever.

A bargain is a bargain!

cozzy121

Often the First Original Thought is the Deepest!

After the Celtic Tiger boom, or if you like, the busy season, what do successful retail businesses do?

They have a sale of course!

I propose all Hotels, B&Bs, Restaurants, pubs, Theatres, Concert venues, and tourist traps in Ireland announce a National Sale this wintertime.
Airlines and Ferries should cut prices and we should invite the whole world to Ireland!

All communities should be encouraged to decorate their local areas with bunting and lights and free Irish music should be heard everywhere. Especially those lovely melodic songs that once were heard in all the best films set in or about Ireland.

It's my belief most foreigners here come for the Walt Disney Ireland. Let's give it to them.
Once upon a time in the retail businesses we were told the customer is always right! I think for the most part that is still the truth of the matter.

Let's get those Irish loving foreigners back in the largest numbers ever.

A bargain is a bargain!
Waste of a thread

The Caped Cod

You may have an good idea there Maurice, if practicaly impossible to organise. At the same time, it's when lots of people come to a place that the hotels etc jack up the price, not the other way around.

You're right about the Walt Disney Ireland though. I'll give you a good example, the Blarney Stone. A great example of Skiddly-idle-dee Irish culture. Kiss the stone and get the gift og the gab. We all cringe... but... what is the gift of the gab exactly? I'd say it's the ability to talk an American into paying €20 to kiss a stone, no?

needle_too

Let's give it to them.
Ireland has been giving it to foreigners for years, Maurice.
They aint coming back.

On the plus side, hundreds of academics will be coming over to research papers on 'Cronyism', 'Corruption', 'How to fk a good economy' and, of course, 'How to bankrupt a country'.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
You may have an good idea there Maurice, if practicaly impossible to organise. At the same time, it's when lots of people come to a place that the hotels etc jack up the price, not the other way around.

You're right about the Walt Disney Ireland though. I'll give you a good example, the Blarney Stone. A great example of Skiddly-idle-dee Irish culture. Kiss the stone and get the gift og the gab. We all cringe... but... what is the gift of the gab exactly? I'd say it's the ability to talk an American into paying €20 to kiss a stone, no?
Yes there are plenty of examples, How Can You Buy Killarney, Galway Bay, Quiet Man, Ryan's Daughter, Yeat's country etc. For the oldies, and the more modern attractions such as Newgrange etc for the rest.

Ireland is really underdeveloped tourist wise considering the amazing variety of our landscapes.

The Caped Cod

Master Debater

And the shopkeeper with his high rent is supposed to drop his prices for the winter and decorate his store as well ? I can't see it working

dakid

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
I think it's a great idea.
Thanks TradCat, you are obviously an intelligent and cultured person.

As for those against theme parks I don't think we will ever see a disneyland or Las Vegas type of attraction.

We do not need such stuff. Ireland, I repeat, is it's own attraction. We have a very beautiful island with an ancient culture to introduce to the whole world. Most of it is free!!!

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
And the shopkeeper with his high rent is supposed to drop his prices for the winter and decorate his store as well ? I can't see it working
It's an investment in the future. No need to drop all prices.
I have worked in shops and know the "loss leader" works. Better to see your whole community flourish than selfishly cling to profits, dwindling profits!

meriwether

I think its a great idea, but I'd go for Summer.

We have a national carrier, and Ryanair that does the short hops. Bus in the yanks, brits and europeans. We have the VFI, the hoteliers industry of Ireland, various associations etc.

Get them all together, coordinated by Bord Failte, and lets 'don the green jersey'.

There would be worldwide attention as well, due to the novelty.

Tourism is one of the things we can ramp up quickly.

Pauli

We have a national carrier, and Ryanair that does the short hops. Bus in the yanks, brits and europeans. We have the VFI, the hoteliers industry of Ireland, various associations etc.

Get them all together, coordinated by Bord Failte, and lets 'don the green jersey'.

The Yanks and Brits are skint, the Europeans were stung in the Celtic Mirage era by gombeens in the hospitality industry charging silly money for a ripoff in the rain. China is the coming market but because of the our government is fundamentally stupid and myopic, they can't see it.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org

Yes Summer would be ideal, but the growing number of of all-weather tourists is on the increase...................there again, I have seen "SALES" that seemed to go on forever. :)

If only Bord Failte was as unrelenting as I am, or was in my hayday. Yes I did toss the hay in Westmeath......................................... 1948!