• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland Sells 1.5bn of Bonds

johnfás

1 bn of 8 year bonds - average yield 6.02%, up from 5.09%

500m of 4 year bonds - average yield 4.77%, up from 3.1%

HarshBuzz

those yields are atrocious

3 billion is now completely out of date, 5 must be the new minimum

droghedasouth

Another triumph for our autodidact genius of a Finance Minister.

ChickenBiryani

Coupon is irrelevant in a way.

The price allocated for the 2018 was 90.485. That means that we issued €1bn in bonds, but only actually received €904.8m for them.

The yield takes into account the coupon + the effective discount to illustrate the average interest rate being paid.

He3

Why are we paying over 6% when the ECB/IMF money is available at 5%?

Why are we borrowing at over 6 only to turn around some of that money by way of our share of the EU-organised loans to Greece at 5?

Disillusioned democrat

Why are we borrowing at over 6 only to turn around some of that money by way of our share of the EU-organised loans to Greece at 5?
Two reasons - Brian and Brian.

HarshBuzz

because we still have notional control of our own country in this scenario

ChickenBiryani

We are paying this rate because we continue to insist on maintaining the charade that we can work our way out of this situation ourselves when it is plain to anyone with half a brain that we have long passed the point of no return and nothing anyone does internally is going to fix it.

Our rates are into self-fulfilling prophecy land - at €20bn per annum of a deficit the additional interest alone at these rates is €1.2bn, more than the supposedly "savage" public sector pay cuts of last year managed to save on an after tax basis. We are merely running to stand still at best, a bit like Wile E Coyote chasing the roadrunner off the edge of the cliff, afraid to look down.

rubensni

I know, but once we pass the event horizon of the bailout fund we'll never escape. The gamble is it's better to pay 6%+, with a chance of it falling in the medium term, than 5% ad infinitum with nothing to look forward to other than default.

Either way, the modern day Michael Milkens are making a fortune out of us.

orbit

A little bit of perspective please. Yes, the yields are atrocious, and if they stay that high for an extended time, we are screwed. But, the aggregate interest rate on the national debt is still only around 4.15%, even after that auction. It does mean tougher budgets ahead, and there is no time to lose, in finalising the Anglo story.

MPB

Why would the ECB let us pay more than 5% for these bonds?

They lend to our dud Banks at 1% so that they can repay German Banks and the ECB make our citizens pay 6% to cover these loans to the Banks.

Lisbon my hole. It is about time we started to cop on.

They are stealing our money to bailout German Banks.

DuineEile

Can anyone put sense on this for me?

I am heavily indebted. My wife sees a niece piece of furniture. She tells me it is a bargain. I tell her it may be a bargain, but we can't afford to finance it, so we do without.

Surely there is a point before we can't borrow (ie no one will lend to us), that we simply don't want to borrow?

6% seems awfully high. Higher than my mortgage, so why are we borrowing it?

D

G

Gimpanzee

Why would the ECB let us pay more than 5% for these bonds?

They lend to our dud Banks at 1% so that they can repay German Banks and the ECB make our citizens pay 6% to cover these loans to the Banks.

Lisbon my hole. It is about time we started to cop on.

They are stealing our money to bailout German Banks.
err, there's the small matter of the >€20bn pa deficit that has bugger all to do with banks in Germany or anywhere. That's what we are really borrowing for.