• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Ireland should offer every UK citizen , Irish citizenship -best of all Brexit worlds

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

benroe

Why? What's in it for us?
We would be even more "special" we might even be attributed with the title of "very special".We will then be entitled to much grander promises.

Prester Jim

How would that be any benefit to our trade with the UK? It is all very nice if they are Irish citizens but there would still be the problem with our trade deals being negotiated through the EU.
Besides why should we facilitate them having their cake and eating it while we become the pariah of Europe for helping them?

WayOutWest

How would that go down with the Brexit supporters?
Imagining campaigning to keep out the foreigners and end up with a country full of foreigners.

blokesbloke

Not clear on what the OP means.

Do you anticipate these new Irish citizens moving to Ireland en masse?

I can't see how the country could possibly cope with so many new arrivals - where would they all live, what jobs would they do?

If you mean they'll be Irish citizens but stay in the UK and that the EU would count them in terms of Ireland's voting rights - I don't think so.

I don't recall Poland being given less seats in the European Parliament and the UK being given more to reflect the number of Polish citizens who moved to the UK.

That's not how it works.

I am sure lots of people would apply for the passport (I might, just for the craic like), but perhaps not as many as you think, especially with the price Ireland charges for them.

The Remain supporters have certainly mewled a lot since the result but it's just talk.

Still waiting for the celebs who said they'd move out of the country if it went Leave to go - though of course many of the Remain celebrities such as Richard Branson don't live here anyway - he lives in his own private island and despite saying the EU was vital for business, moved the HQ of his business to non-EU Switzerland.

I am not sure how Sinn Fein would feel about all this either - if a load of Brits got Irish citizenship and the right to vote in referendums, would a UI ever happen?

Jack O Neill

I can't see how the country could possibly cope with so many new arrivals - where would they all live, what jobs would they do?

If you mean they'll be Irish citizens but stay in the UK and that the EU would count them in terms of Ireland's voting rights - I don't think so.

I don't recall Poland being given less seats in the European Parliament and the UK being given more to reflect the number of Polish citizens who moved to the UK.

That's not how it works.

I am sure lots of people would apply for the passport (I might, just for the craic like), but perhaps not as many as you think, especially with the price Ireland charges for them.

The Remain supporters have certainly mewled a lot since the result but it's just talk.

Still waiting for the celebs who said they'd move out of the country if it went Leave to go - though of course many of the Remain celebrities such as Richard Branson don't live here anyway - he lives in his own private island and despite saying the EU was vital for business, moved the HQ of his business to non-EU Switzerland.

I am not sure how Sinn Fein would feel about all this either - if a load of Brits got Irish citizenship and the right to vote in referendums, would a UI ever happen?
its cyperian , why would you expect it to make any sense or be clear?

Prester Jim

That's not how it works.

It would achieve absolutely nothing except to allow all the British-Irish citizens freedom of travel and work in Europe while letting them block Europeans working and living in Britain, it wouldn't affect the free trade issue at all and that is the only one that really matters to Ireland.
It would also rightly make us pariahs in Europe especially among the eastern nations where many want to work in Britain.
Complete brain fart.

gijoe

It would plainly take a referendum here , but we should offer all UK citizens , Irish citizenship

The Germans would play fair , and see that Ireland got proportionately increased voting rights

As is, UK citizens resident here can vote in General Elections here...so it wouldn't change things much
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_Act_1949

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Act_1948

?

cyp
It wouldn't require a referendum but you do realise that you will be granting Irish citizenship to British murdering paedophiles and massive scale drug smugglers in our prisons among others?

stopdoingstuff

No, we should be making it harder to become a citizen, not easier.

NMunsterman

Zoo please.
We have too many of these silly threads already.

Eire1976

Irish Citizenship should not be offered to anyone for any reason.

Irish citizenship should be the preserve of those born in Ireland and their Children.

blokesbloke

Irish Citizenship should not be offered to anyone for any reason.

Irish citizenship should be the preserve of those born in Ireland and their Children.
What about to non-Irish citizens who marry Irish citizens and their children?

Notachipanoaktree

It would plainly take a referendum here , but we should offer all UK citizens , Irish citizenship

The Germans would play fair , and see that Ireland got proportionately increased voting rights

As is, UK citizens resident here can vote in General Elections here...so it wouldn't change things much
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_Act_1949

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Act_1948

?

cyp
You have a mind like a sewer, Cur. Bravo. If only you could convince all the psychopaths (neolibbers et al) to relax and see the world for what it really is or has become, A Joke?

When the cart pulls the horse, and the young educate the old. The inverse of administration.

blokesbloke

If you want to make Ireland better through citizenship, you should give citizenship to me.

Or perhaps to all LGBT people - let's face it Ireland hasn't enough of them and it would delight the P.ie community to have an influx of new LGBT Irish citizens about the place.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies