Ireland should only import wood pellets made from waste wood for energy generation

Patslatt1

See Are wood chips really worse than burning coal?

This article points out that many US environmental groups fear that soaring international demand for US wood pellets will lead to cutting down mature forests in addition to the present practice of making pellets from waste wood. The loss of those forests would take decades to replace with reforestation, reducing trees' absorption of carbon dioxide gas which causes global warming.
Under pressure for failing to meet EU environmental targets, the Irish government plans to encourage massive use of wood pellets for energy generation. If waste wood can't supply that use, mature Irish forests shouldn't be cut down for that purpose. If imported pellets are needed, they should be confined to pellets that are certified to come from waste wood.

kerdasi amaq

Pandering to the delusions of foreigners should be stopped. Irexit now.

wombat

Wood pellets are a poor fuel, they should not be imported, in fact, anyone using them without a massive subsidy would be better off burning fivers.

AhNowStop

This article points out that many US environmental groups fear that soaring international demand for US wood pellets will lead to cutting down mature forests in addition to the present practice of making pellets from waste wood. The loss of those forests would take decades to replace with reforestation, reducing trees' absorption of carbon dioxide gas which causes global warming.
Under pressure for failing to meet EU environmental targets, the Irish government plans to encourage massive use of wood pellets for energy generation. If waste wood can't supply that use, mature Irish forests shouldn't be cut down for that purpose. If imported pellets are needed, they should be confined to pellets that are certified to come from waste wood.
is that you Snarlene? :unsure: lol

soubresauts

Wood pellets are a poor fuel, they should not be imported, in fact, anyone using them without a massive subsidy would be better off burning fivers.
Really? I haven't heard that. I would have thought that they are useful in any halfway-suitable stove, and there are many stoves made specifically for pellets.

Of course we shouldn't be importing wood pellets, though they might be an improved substitute for coal, oil or gas in certain cases.

Is there any reason why Ireland's unloved Sitka spruce forests could not be converted into pellets?

One further idea: As a veteran of the Groundwork workcamps in Killarney National Park, I always wondered if the rhododendron wood could be burned for energy. I know how difficult the terrain is, and that it would be a huge challenge to get the wood out of there. But it could provide useful, healthy employment for a great number of young people, while saving our priceless national park.

wombat

The reason that coal replaced wood/charcoal is because it has a much higher energy content/kg. I looked into replacing an oil fired steam boiler with a wood pellet fired one and it didn't make any sense when you took the extra diesel needed to transport the pellets into account. There were multiple practical difficulties associated with pellets but it was when we considered the entire environmental energy balance that tipped the balance.
Regarding native wood, I suspect the moisture content is too high and our weather would make it difficult to dry naturally.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

After about 15 years the pellet stove manufacturers stop making the parts and your very expensive and very heavy stove becomes heavy metal junk to be rid of somehow, somewhere. I doubt there will be a grant for a replacement either.

Watcher2

why do we have Coillte?

McTell

Twitter
No
Wood chips give off more CO2 than coal, but because they are "reneweable" we cod ourselves that it's OK.

Renewable in 10 years, compared to oil that has been gestating for millions of years.

But considering the therms/heat output for CO2 created, wood and peat are worse than coal.

We are still making electricity from peat so that our electric cars are "100% emission free". Such BS.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies