• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland successfully auctions Treasury Bills

Eorna

Two cheers for effective action from the two Brians?
The two Brians are the reason that this is newsworthy, the staff at the NTMA are the ones that deserve the praise.

kerrynorth

Lads, stall the horses a moment - these were 1, 3 and 6 month bills FFS!!!

dmc444

I have to lauf- if they had not auctioned off the bills sucessfully you lot would be screaming about how badly they are running the country.

It does show that no matter what they do, they are just going to be criticised.

locke

Exactly

All the demand indicates is that the markets don't think we're going to go bust before October.

Does the level of oversubscription indicate that the interest rate could have been lower?

Cato

I have to lauf- if they had not auctioned off the bills sucessfully you lot would be screaming about how badly they are running the country.

It does show that no matter what they do, they are just going to be criticised.
Get your head out of your as$! By any objective standard they are doing an appalling job of running the country. Any action they carry out or decision they make is and will be treated quite cynically simply because, on the evidence to date, the two Brians could not find their own ar$es with both hands and a mirror.

Hats off to the NTMA boys (and girls!) though. However, these were only short term bills. Perspective please.

Middleaged

This is the second set of T/bills issued this year.

Cael

This is like a poor woman going to the pawn shop with her wedding ring to get some food for tomorrow's dinner. Ya, its good to eat tomorrow, but lets keep things in perspective.

feargach

Tell us where we are going wrong.

Is your point that if the buyers were dead certain that we were going to be broke in 7 months, they would still be nonchalant about lending to us on a 6-month basis?

Question R24U

On a major level this is good news: our credit line has not been crunched.
The bad news: we will pay a high premium for our credit.
The ugly: The Two Brians will continue to see "no problem/going forward" in borrowing to pay for social welfare, public sector pay and the miscellanous matters they spend other people's money on.

Defeated Romanticist

Exactly

All the demand indicates is that the markets don't think we're going to go bust before October.

Does the level of oversubscription indicate that the interest rate could have been lower?
Something tells me there will be no way Ireland will go bankrupt before October for no reason in particular...

and that we should flog every Treasury Bill we can print between now and then as if we were preparing for nuclear war.

feargach

Seriously kerrynorth, please put me straight on all this. I know far too little about how the various debt markets work.

The maths of it is beyond me, so I genuinely do not know if heavy buying of 6-month bonds indicates any possible bias at all as to confidence on the part of the creditors with respect to the debtor's longer-term (as in 7 or 8 month) viability.

All I know is: if I thought that a particular debtor was going to go broke sometime in the next 3 to 4 years, I personally would not consider buying bonds from that debtor for any time period, 6 months or less.

Please give me your own view on that matter.

spidermom

As you all know by now I DON'T do economics...apart from here in this house where(touch wood!!!) we are not "overly" indepted,we do not spend what we ain't go...and the credit card is only for emergencies and online top ups for the teenagers mobiles!!
However this thread reminds me of those ads that used to be on the telly...."are you umemployed...have you a bad credit history.....have you defaulted on a loan????? Then come to us we'll give you the money!!!No problemo...no questions asked!".....and the in the tiny print and is gone too quickly off the tv for you do read it......btw we will screw you on your repayments!!!!

youngdan

It is not the amount of bids that matters. What matters was that there were over 1.6 billion of decent high bids. There could be 50 billion of bids but if they were low it would mean that the interest rate would be too high.

Any amount of bonds can be sold if a low enough bid is entertained.

You can not compare a 3 month bill and a 10 year bond

Digout

It is not the amount of bids that matters. What matters was that there were over 1.6 billion of decent high bids. There could be 50 billion of bids but if they were low it would mean that the interest rate would be too high.

Any amount of bonds can be sold if a low enough bid is entertained.

You can not compare a 3 month bill and a 10 year bond
Shocking that a government has to look for money on a month to month basis.....

youngdan

This would deserve a thread of it's own but briefly. It is not a good idea to have debt for shorter duration. Tuesday they ended up paying 5.08% for maturity in 2018. This was quite high. However on a historical basis paying 5% for 10 years is a bargain. It is sure to rise. They should borrow as much as possible because next month the rate will be higher. If there are fools enough to lend for 10 years then they should be released of their cash. There is not a chance in Hell of these bonds being paid.