• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Ireland takes EU Presidency - Europe Ignores

Asparagus

The previous occassion when we were in an empire, Dublin Castle also featured prominently.
Grand location for treachery and betrayal.
and culinery trade shows

Al.

Not to be too pedantic and petty, but what the hell did we have a ceremony yesterday for to take the EU presidency over - if no one from Europe showed up?
What did it achieve to ceremonise it? How much did this cost?

Only Kill-more and Genny, a few Ministers, some soldiers and kids showed up; no one from Europe
(I am only judging this on the Gallery in the indo - here Ireland takes EU presidency - Irish Independent Galleries)

Maybe we can use the presidency to absolve our debt?
Or assume Greece's for them?
Who knows?
There is only one boss in the European Union. It's not whomever takes the "rotating presidency" and it isn't van Rompuy or Barroso. It's the entity that reviewed Ireland's budget back on November of 2011. All of the other "presidencies" are for show, ultimately.

an modh coinniolach

I will be in 'The Castle' for some of the conferences. They better have decent garlic dip for my chicken Goujons. To hell with the expense...:)
I see the castle is closed for the next six months. Glad we don't have a big heritage tourism push on this year.

darkknight

[video=youtube;aDSN1F72QU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSN1F72QU4[/video]​

:?

Shqiptar

Umm, it's pretty common for a country taking over the EU Presidency to do something internally to mark it - Denmark certainly did, I'm pretty sure Cyprus did.

OP is basically an excuse for a bit of a whinge with nothing behind it.
Hear hear!

Dame_Enda

The govt should push for the labelling of Israeli settlement products. The Irish, British and Danish govts in particular have been pushing for this.

He3

The public were invited.

human 19

Not to be too pedantic and petty but what the hell did we have a ceremony yesterday for to take the EU presidency over - if noone from Europe showed up?

Only Kill-more and Genny, a few Ministers, some soldiers and kids showed up.
no one from Europe
Just politicians playing politics, my friend. I wouldnt worry about it.

Mad as Fish

Your point? Do you suspect that Dublin will go unvisited by representatives from the Commission over the next six months?
It's not Dublin that needs visiting. It's the towns outside the M50 where half the main streets are shuttered up and empty even on the market days, the silent factories and weed strewn industrial estates. The forlorn shops and pubs with, at best, one or two locals propping up the bar. The queues at the post office when it's time to collect the money or sign on at the dole office. Maybe they could sit down in front of computer and look in vain for a half decent job that is within commuting distance or even pays what is promised. These are the places they need to visit.

Ireland does not start and stop with Dublin y'know.

im axeled

Lucinda looks like she'd make a haims of a cup of tea.
Kenny looks like he makes Tea for a living?
Gilmore looks like he'd find a way to get a government tea making contract for his wife.[/QUOT

the cretin wan, well she looks like she acts, as i said before she gives blonds a bad name, how did she become a barrister,
kenny looks like he is frozen cold, that smile has to be photoshoped, he did not have the brains to wear an overcoat, or is it the case he did
get one before the unvouched expenses came juddering to a halt.
gimme more looks smug does he not, nice and comfy in his free crombie and scarf, no cut backs for him, nah thats only for the poor.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Umm, it's pretty common for a country taking over the EU Presidency to do something internally to mark it - Denmark certainly did, I'm pretty sure Cyprus did.

OP is basically an excuse for a bit of a whinge with nothing behind it.
Hear hear!
Catherine Ashton and Barroso (among others) attended the opening of the Cypriot Presidency of the Council...

and then EU heads of state gathered for the Danish one...

The OP makes a valid point.

Analyzer

It's not Dublin that needs visiting. It's the towns outside the M50 where half the main streets are shuttered up and empty even on the market days, the silent factories and weed strewn industrial estates. The forlorn shops and pubs with, at best, one or two locals propping up the bar. The queues at the post office when it's time to collect the money or sign on at the dole office. Maybe they could sit down in front of computer and look in vain for a half decent job that is within commuting distance or even pays what is promised. These are the places they need to visit.

Can you imagine the EU troupe of merc's and flash cars driving through Limerick, Waterford, Portlaoise or Dundalk on dole day ?

No. Neither do I.

It is more likely they will visit Dublin city centre mostly, with perhaps a visit to Galway city (in May) or Westport.

And perhaps the stud farm belt in County Kildare for photo ops with green fields.

leftymania

Not to be too pedantic and petty but what the hell did we have a ceremony yesterday for to take the EU presidency over - if noone from Europe showed up?

Only Kill-more and Genny, a few Ministers, some soldiers and kids showed up.
no one from Europe
(i am only judging this on the Gallery in the indo - here Ireland takes EU presidency - Irish Independent Galleries)

Here is a shot to look at and wonder...
...wonder who in their right mind would hand a presidency of anything over to these Goms.

Maybe we can use the presidency to absolve our debt?
Or assume Greeces for them?
Who knows?
The correct heading

EUSSR takes Ireland

Shqiptar

I agree with the last sentence but - Sweet Divine Lord - what about the dead eyed urchins rummaging for food in the gutter?

Hint: I live in one of those towns and it's not THAT bad. :)

The Field Marshal

Irelands filthy quisling government are being allowed get on with job of stealing money from the private citizen to transfer to their foreign employers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies