• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Ireland the francophonie

recedite

The Irish ambassador to the UK has become involved in a minor spat with The Spectator magazine over this article entitled
Ireland’s strange decision to join the French commonwealth

There is some exaggeration in the article, in the sense that we have observer status rather than full membership, but I'm left wondering why we joined at all?
Are we really enjoying and promoting French language and culture here, or are we phoney francophonies?
From what I can see, Spanish and German are starting to replace French as the preferred 3rd language in many schools.
Apart from licking up to Macron, what is the point?
Easier communication between Irish and French troops while fighting to maintain the French influence in Africa?
They have been lucky so far on this post-colonial military adventure.

There is no doubt that our cultural, historic and family connections to commonwealth countries like Australia and Canada are much more real than our connection to francophonie Mali.

As the magazine ponts out, If ROI athletes were to contest in the Commonwealth Games, they would fit right in, alongside athletes from NI, NZ etc.
I'm not saying we should join the British Commonwealth, but I'm saying it would at least make more sense than joining the French version.
Maybe we should join both, or maybe neither.

Apparently we signed up to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie in 2018.
So that would have been the year after we ditched our traditional doctrine of neutrality and joined PESCO.

Its funny how you only hear about these things afterwards.

Ireniall

The Irish ambassador to the UK has become involved in a minor spat with The Spectator magazine over this article entitled
Ireland’s strange decision to join the French commonwealth

There is some exaggeration in the article, in the sense that we have observer status rather than full membership, but I'm left wondering why we joined at all?
Are we really enjoying and promoting French language and culture here, or are we phoney francophonies?
From what I can see, Spanish and German are starting to replace French as the preferred 3rd language in many schools.
Apart from licking up to Macron, what is the point?
Easier communication between Irish and French troops while fighting to maintain the French influence in Africa?
They have been lucky so far on this post-colonial military adventure.

There is no doubt that our cultural, historic and family connections to commonwealth countries like Australia and Canada are much more real than our connection to francophonie Mali.

As the magazine ponts out, If ROI athletes were to contest in the Commonwealth Games, they would fit right in, alongside athletes from NI, NZ etc.
I'm not saying we should join the British Commonwealth, but I'm saying it would at least make more sense than joining the French version.
Maybe we should join both, or maybe neither.

Apparently we signed up to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie in 2018.
So that would have been the year after we ditched our traditional doctrine of neutrality and joined PESCO.

So our RoI athletes could fit right in alongside athletes representing NI. Wow-how could we resist that. Lets join tomorrow.

recedite

From the athletes point of view, it may not make much difference to them whether the sports federation runs a separate team like the soccer, or a joint team like the rugby. Presumably the choice would be open to the relevant sport controlling bodies.

raetsel

I read about it at the time. It received coverage in Irish media when it happened.
The writer, who (surprise surprise!) is employed by the Daily Mail, doesn't help with such an bile-filled, patronising tone.
The sneering, condescending tone in pieces like this, almost always expressed by members of Britain's right wing establishment, who themselves are some of the most insular-minded jingoists in Europe, are a big part of the reason why antipathy towards the UK is not yet extinct in Ireland 100 years after the independence of the southern state, because their voices are more often reported than those of moderates. And it takes an absolute fool to pen a silly sentence like this one:
"Only the mean-spirited would suggest that little Leo will do anything to suck up to the top gang in the EU playground."
considering that Varadkar is 6' 4" tall. Quite apart from his height, what is so surprising about the leader of any small country trying to forge friendly links with larger nations, with considerably more influence. But of course it is not about physical size, but rather a poorly worded effort of stripping the Taoiseach of his basic dignity.
Personally, at the time, I though that the decision to join the Francophonie a bit eyebrow raising myself but, if you're looking for evidence as to why Ireland might be seeking new alliances elsewhere in Europe, I'd guess that the UK government's determination to leave the EU might well be a big part of it. And the explanation for Ireland's lack of enthusiasm for the Commonwealth certainly lies in the sort of attitudes expressed in that article, which reflects a wider view among the right-wing Tory establishment that the Irish should know their place in the pecking order.

Last edited:

raetsel

I should also add that this sentence in the piece reeks of the worst for of mendacious cant:

While English–speaking dictatorships like Zimbabwe are banished from the Commonwealth for their deplorable human rights records, French-speaking crooks have no such problem. Anything goes in the Francophonie. Take Burundi, which criminalises all same-sex relationships and faces allegations of torture and extra-judicial killings. Maybe human rights were not Dublin’s chief motivation after all.
Nigeria and Pakistan, both members of the Commonwealth, both make legal provisions permitting the execution of people found guilty of homosexual acts, and around 40 others permit long prison sentences for conviction of the same offence.

Human rights … and wrongs in the Commonwealth

between the bridges

Mons stew! tbf moi is shacked it has taken so long, sure it's only a couple hundred years since yez wanted the wannabe King of the south china sea to be the french viceroy of Ireland...

Ireniall

I should also add that this sentence in the piece reeks of the worst for of mendacious cant:

Nigeria and Pakistan, both members of the Commonwealth, both make legal provisions permitting the execution of people found guilty of homosexual acts, and around 40 others permit long prison sentences for conviction of the same offence.

Human rights … and wrongs in the Commonwealth
Laughable stuff to be sure but I thought our ambassador made us all look like a bunch of eejits with his silly intervention and they made him pay with their response. It's best to let these clowns make fools of themselves and don't ever give them the opportunity to look smart.

D

Deleted member 51920

Personally, I don't think Ireland should have anything to do with the Commonwealth due to its association with the undemocratic British Royal family - the farther away we keep from them the better.
Whatever the French 'Commonwealth' is, at least we know France is a Republic like we are.
They even can join our 'Celtic Commonwealth' when Scotland eventually quits the UK

raetsel

Laughable stuff to be sure but I thought our ambassador made us all look like a bunch of eejits with his silly intervention and they made him pay with their response. It's best to let these clowns make fools of themselves and don't ever give them the opportunity to look smart.
I agree. The article oozed contempt and bile - aimed a Varadkar. The DUP and the Tory far right hate him. And in the case of the DUP without a doubt, and probably also for a few of the Tory far-right as well, it stems from homophobia.

Orbit v2

Bizarre. I never heard anything about this. If we are only observers though (or should it be listeners?), then maybe we should look at becoming observers at t'other Commonwealth too.

Ireniall

From the athletes point of view, it may not make much difference to them whether the sports federation runs a separate team like the soccer, or a joint team like the rugby. Presumably the choice would be open to the relevant sport controlling bodies.
Athletes represent nations. That is what gives them any status that they have. As individuals they are of no importance beyond that of any other person. Nations don't join Commonwealths in order to facilitate individual athletes or any other individuals. Jeffrey Donaldson came south recently to call for us to join the Commonwealth and whatever the argument about what the positive reception that he got was for, it's plain that the idea of joining certainly didn't put anyone off. But you can't come asking for these things with your hands hanging. If we asked for an all-Ireland president in return I wonder how fast he'd run back north with his brilliant idea.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies