• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland to become the 51st State?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

Should Ireland target becoming the 51st State of the USA ?

Our economy is close to Boston than Berlin, we watch a lot of US TV... we speak the same language, we've the same common law system ... dunno why we're mucking around with this Lisbon stuff at all.

So doesn't it make sense to join ?

cYp

expat girl

cyberianpan said:

Our economy is close to Boston than Berlin, we watch a lot of US TV... we speak the same language, we've the same common law system ... dunno why we're mucking around with this Lisbon stuff at all.

cYp
Great plan, just as the US economy is going t!ts up

we are geographically closer to Berlin than Boston, and as transport gets more expensive, that IS going to matter

we are more use to our american multinationals in the EU than out of it. Export markets, dude

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
There's some tax advantages alright but the IRS is cracking down on these,also the EU & US are getting closer to free trade. Now with some smart negotiating we will be able to retain "best of both worlds" status. Ultimately we should try to help the rest of Europe get into the USA, same way say we helped the UK get into the then EEC.

As to travel: well in the communication age physical travel is less of a requirement.

Also this could be a sneaky way to get the 6 counties back. Papa Doc Paisley & Iris Robinson would be right at home with the Christian Right in the US.

cYp

Defeated Romanticist

cyberianpan said:

cYp
God cYp, please, be more careful with your titles. I thought it was a thread on an imminent occurrence and as a result my trousers was temporarily larger than a 15 year old who sees an attachment intimating that their are pictures of a pleasing nature of Anna Kournakova if they click their only to find out that like most Anna Kournakova attachments it turns out to be a major disappointment.

expat girl

cyberianpan said:
Also this could be a sneaky way to get the 6 counties back. Papa Doc Paisley & Iris Robinson would be right at home with the Christian Right in the US.

cYp
you could have a point there....... but I don't know many Christians (if any) who'd agree with Iris Robinson's latest foot in mouth episode... Dang it, even Jerry Fallwell would have disowned her for equating adult gay relationships with child abuse. I hope!!!

I'm normally of a nationalist persuasion, but after that.... I'm not sure it's worth it any more....
:shock: :cry:

jmcc

ivnryn said:
Would our constitution count as 'republician' in the context of the US? It seems to require a Governor and a legislature, not a paliament which picks a PM.
We'd even get to vote to decide who becomes the president. Imagine that. :)

Regards...jmcc

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
seabhcan said:
We'd presumably have trigger happy Texans guarding the new US border between Dundalk and Letterkenny, and armed FBI agents storming into pubs looking for under 21's.
But man, you can get a fake ID then you can get really wasted at senior prom.
Just don't flunk all your grades this semester or you might be grounded.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
jmcc said:
ivnryn said:
Would our constitution count as 'republician' in the context of the US? It seems to require a Governor and a legislature, not a paliament which picks a PM.
We'd even get to vote to decide who becomes the president. Imagine that. :)

Regards...jmcc
It would take a while to get in place but a target date of 2015 isn't unreasonable, so assuming Obama gets 2 terms we could vote on his successor.

cYp

CelticAtheist

Ireland joins the US, I join France....
I don't want to be drafted to fight friggin' Iraqis thanks...

myksav

cyberianpan said:

cYp
Ok, now that I've stopped laughing at that bit of silliness.

Do you really think we speak the same language? :shock: I'm american born and I have trouble figuring out what they mean.
Someone else mentioned the US economy, so I won't bother with that. On second thoughts, we'd have to prop up their economy. :roll:

Oppenheimer

taylorwemyss said:
With a little help Ireland would be reunited
Truly worrying.

expat girl said:
we are geographically closer to Berlin than Boston, and as transport gets more expensive, that IS going to matter
Maybe I'm dense or this is sarcasm...can you explain please? (and I'm not trying to start an argument - just wondering your meaning)

Fr. Hank Tree

QuizMaster said:
seabhcan said:
We'd presumably have trigger happy Texans guarding the new US border between Dundalk and Letterkenny, and armed FBI agents storming into pubs looking for under 21's.
But man, you can get a fake ID then you can get really wasted at senior prom.
Just don't flunk all your grades this semester or you might be grounded.
...and have to do extra chores like mowing the lawn. And you won't be able to go steady with that cheerleader you've had a crush on since Spring break.

earlyandoften

taylorwemyss said:
[youtube:30ug03q9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkM2Se3tqaU[/youtube:30ug03q9]
Sure hasn't the EU re-united Ireland already?

myksav

Oppenheimer said:
taylorwemyss said:
Truly worrying.

expat girl said:
Maybe I'm dense or this is sarcasm...can you explain please? (and I'm not trying to start an argument - just wondering your meaning)
Well now, which would cost more in fuel/transport costs, shipping to/from the US or Europe? As I have shipped to and from both, I know the answer.
Hint. Europe.

taylorwemyss

earlyandoften said:
taylorwemyss said:
[youtube:tbxb8x7x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkM2Se3tqaU[/youtube:tbxb8x7x]
Sure hasn't the EU re-united Ireland already?
But the EU is a federation like the U.S. If Ireland joins a confederation with the Southern United States(CSA) it would be more free.