Ireland to join the European Southern Observatory

Munnkeyman

Good news for companies based in Ireland and Irish physicists especially.
This opens up a large funding resource for Irish scientists and engineers and will be very helpful in enabling Irish astronomers and astrophysicists to apply for much needed telescope time!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/ireland-to-join-european-space-research-organisation-1.3251455
Membership will ensure Irish companies can compete for ESO contracts to develop innovative products and services, and enhance research opportunities for third-level institutions, he said.
Long campaign The announcement has come after a long campaign from the astrophysics community in Ireland, said Dr Sheila Gilheany, policy adviser for the Institute of Physics in Ireland.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1010/911351-ireland-to-join-european-southern-observatory-in-2018/

dizillusioned

Susan McKenna Lawlor will be delighted... is she still working? Great woman i have to say.

Munnkeyman

I like all of this!!! I think it's all quite progressive, I'm slightly shocked by it all!

jmcc

I like all of this!!! I think it's all quite progressive, I'm slightly shocked by it all!
Unusual for Ireland. It is a step in the right direction though. Hope Ireland's telescope time won't be taken up by politicians on a junket.

Munnkeyman

Unusual for Ireland. It is a step in the right direction though. Hope Ireland's telescope time won't be taken up by politicians on a junket.
They still have the somewhat decaying helipads in La Palma from when they flew them all to the IAC facility there...
pesky astronomers built HEGRA on top of them.
They couldn't just drive them up the mountain...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies