• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ireland Tops PlayStation 2 Consoles Sold Per Capita

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Sony ceased the production of the PlayStation 2 game console in January 2013. "At one point there were more PlayStation 2 consoles sold in Ireland per capita than in Sony’s native Japan.".

I haven't seen any correlations yet between the Celtic Tiger and this iconic game console that has preoccupied the life of so many in Ireland during the boom it seems. But 155 million units were sold worldwide and 51 million of them in the PAL region between 2001 and 2009.

How many of them were sold in Ireland?

Fritzbox

Can you play Tetris on Playstation 2?

Miss Fortune

A sad reflection on Irish society. The adults played games whilst their politicians pi$$ed away our wealth. No wonder we're in the mess we're in.

Plebian

A sad reflection on Irish society. The adults played games whilst their politicians pi$$ed away our wealth. No wonder we're in the mess we're in.
If the adults had stuck to playing video games instead of playing the property game, we'd be doing fine.

firefly123

I look forward to reading your peer reviewed research that shows the direct corelation between console ownership and economic difficulties. This ground breaking study will assist us all in the future.

Or are you just another one of those people who like using the word sheeple because it makes you feel all smug and superior ?

Analyzer

If the adults had stuck to playing video games instead of playing the property game, we'd be doing fine.
The problem is that they were not garsping reality in either pursuit....

firefly123

Kids these days with their play stations and hip hop!
Kids these days with their rock and roll music and their jeans!
Kids these days with their jazz and flapper skirts!
Kids these days with their gramophones and ankles showing!
Kids these days....

Astral Peaks

Kids these days with their play stations and hip hop!
Kids these days with their rock and roll music and their jeans!
Kids these days with their jazz and flapper skirts!
Kids these days with their gramophones and ankles showing!
Kids these days....
Down with kids!

JamieD

The PS2 was probably my favorite console so far. I still have one here, modded with a DMS4 chip and with a network adapter that lets me use a 120GB hard drive (unfortunately nothing bigger). The games load insanely fast off of the HDD compared to loading from the super-slow disc drive, even though it used the IDE interface.

When i got my PS2 in 2001 I think it was, it was my first DVD player as well :) The PS2 and the first Xbox started an area of huge game production, where the cost of software development stretched into the tens of millions, and where it was rapidly growing in the entertainment business.

When the Xbox 360 came, I was initially underwhelmed. It's first year on the market was poor, very few games, console shortages and so on. The turning point for me was the original Gears of War in 2006... at the time it was the best game I had ever played, my first proper intro to gaming at full HD. But while the Xbox 360 got great as a platform, there was a price to pay for rushing it to market ahead of the PS3. Even just in my case... my first Xbox bought in 2005, suffered the RROD (red ring of death) just after 3 years, right when the warranty was up. Then my next, whcih was second hand, suffered RROD within 12 months. Then I got another one under GameStop warranty and sold it later to buy a new one.... guess what... E74 error in late 2009. Got another one then, black Elite console that has not shown any sign of hardware failure, but still, wow. It took Microsoft something like 4 years to stop it completely, and it was all down to the stupid cooling system.

Basically, two X-clamps held down the heatsinks on the CPU and GPU, but the console still got very hot and the heat caused the X-Clamps to bend and thus warp the motherboard right around the chips, damaging the solder and in the case of the RROD) damaging the connection between the GPU and memory.

Still, the games of this generation of gaming were staggering in detail and story. The game budgets were staggering too. Grand Theft Auto 4 is estimated at about $100 million, and it's not hard to see why. Whatever you think about the content of the game, when I first got it I couldn't help but drive around the City absolutely astonished at the detail, the beauty. The same with LA Noire, another city that was staggeringly beautiful. Red Dead Redemption too, and all three of those come from just one developer.

One thing that annoyed me about this generation of gaming was the death of the Resident Evil franchise. RE5 and RE6 were just boring for me, whereas the RE4 game on the PS2 was exceptional.

But other games in this gen that were incredible include several Call of Duty games, the BioShock series, Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3, the Gears of War franchise, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Halo 3/4/Reach, Alan Wake etc. there are tons more that I'm not even remembering.

Like Dara O Briain, I'm an unashamed gamer... check the vid :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

The PS2 was probably my favorite console so far. I still have one here, modded with a DMS4 chip and with a network adapter that lets me use a 120GB hard drive (unfortunately nothing bigger). The games load insanely fast off of the HDD compared to loading from the super-slow disc drive, even though it used the IDE interface.

When i got my PS2 in 2001 I think it was, it was my first DVD player as well :) The PS2 and the first Xbox started an area of huge game production, where the cost of software development stretched into the tens of millions, and where it was rapidly growing in the entertainment business.

When the Xbox 360 came, I was initially underwhelmed. It's first year on the market was poor, very few games, console shortages and so on. The turning point for me was the original Gears of War in 2006... at the time it was the best game I had ever played, my first proper intro to gaming at full HD. But while the Xbox 360 got great as a platform, there was a price to pay for rushing it to market ahead of the PS3. Even just in my case... my first Xbox bought in 2005, suffered the RROD (red ring of death) just after 3 years, right when the warranty was up. Then my next, whcih was second hand, suffered RROD within 12 months. Then I got another one under GameStop warranty and sold it later to buy a new one.... guess what... E74 error in late 2009. Got another one then, black Elite console that has not shown any sign of hardware failure, but still, wow. It took Microsoft something like 4 years to stop it completely, and it was all down to the stupid cooling system.

Basically, two X-clamps held down the heatsinks on the CPU and GPU, but the console still got very hot and the heat caused the X-Clamps to bend and thus warp the motherboard right around the chips, damaging the solder and in the case of the RROD) damaging the connection between the GPU and memory.

Still, the games of this generation of gaming were staggering in detail and story. The game budgets were staggering too. Grand Theft Auto 4 is estimated at about $100 million, and it's not hard to see why. Whatever you think about the content of the game, when I first got it I couldn't help but drive around the City absolutely astonished at the detail, the beauty. The same with LA Noire, another city that was staggeringly beautiful. Red Dead Redemption too, and all three of those come from just one developer.

One thing that annoyed me about this generation of gaming was the death of the Resident Evil franchise. RE5 and RE6 were just boring for me, whereas the RE4 game on the PS2 was exceptional.

But other games in this gen that were incredible include several Call of Duty games, the BioShock series, Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3, the Gears of War franchise, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Halo 3/4/Reach, Alan Wake etc. there are tons more that I'm not even remembering.

Like Dara O Briain, I'm an unashamed gamer... check the vid :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24
how many hours do you usually play with the console on a typical day?

Dadaist

Is it any worse for you than watching mind numbing reality TV or Soaps, or watching a film with loads of grown men jumping around with their underpants outside their pants?

When I was a nipper we had this -

Now we have this -

Gamers have essentially experienced Moore's law in practice.

The really worrying thing is that as gaming has become much more part of children’s lives, the overall level of reading among children has decreased.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies