• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland vs England Anthems @ croke park

Nuada

This video is one of my favorites on youtube, I was just wondering does this video make other people feel as proud as it makes me feel?? and do other people feel the same as me; that if it works so well for Rugby should there be an all Ireland Soccer team?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPlLnnol4c

BuachaillBeo

The rugby squad always puts more into the anthem than the soccer team and the gaa teams most of the time, their pride is to be commended.... strange how that video cut out just after it though so you can't see how the crowd reacted. nice seeing a fairly indifferent mcdowell clapping as well at the end, made me remember that the election wasn't all bad. Good match to go with the anthems as well! :D

Aindriu

It was deadly. It was just a shame we were robbed of the Grand Slam by a dodgy French try

ballot stuffer

Aindriu said:
It was deadly. It was just a shame we were robbed of the Grand Slam by a dodgy French try
More like the try we let the french score in the last few minutes in croker.

After that it was out of our hands.

GlasgowIrish

Nuada said:
This video is one of my favorites on youtube, I was just wondering does this video make other people feel as proud as it makes me feel?? and do other people feel the same as me; that if it works so well for Rugby should there be an all Ireland Soccer team?

Yeah Nuada pull the other one ........these guys are so proud that they wont even play the Official National Anthem when they play away games?? that Ireland's Call is Shamefull, Rugby in this country is a Hob Knob game played and supported exclusively by the Middle to upper classes on the Isle...

Aindriu

GlasgowIrish said:
Nuada said:

Yeah Nuada pull the other one ........these guys are so proud that they wont even play the Official National Anthem when they play away games?? that Ireland's Call is Shamefull, Rugby in this country is a Hob Knob game played and supported exclusively by the Middle to upper classes on the Isle...
That's because there are Protestant players from the north in the team who may not see Amhrán na bhFiann as "their" anthem

GlasgowIrish

Aindriu said:
GlasgowIrish said:
Nuada said:

That's because there are Protestant players from the north in the team who may not see Amhrán na bhFiann as "their" anthem

Religion has Feck all to do with it so dont bring it in to it

fisk

Aindriu said:
GlasgowIrish said:
Nuada said:

Well then why play for Ireland at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CookieMonster

fisk said:
Aindriu said:
GlasgowIrish said:
Nuada said:

Why not, they are living in the island of Ireland afterall, are they not?

fisk

CookieMonster said:
fisk said:
Aindriu said:
GlasgowIrish said:
Nuada said:

Why not, they are living in the island of Ireland afterall, are they not?

Yes they are so then they should respect the anthem instead of the farcical situation of irelands call

paperweight

Does anyone know when was the first Ireland Rugby Team did it pre date the Republic?- have to say while Croke Park was great against England the atmosphere at the French match wasn't the same as landsdowne

johnfás

fisk said:
Yes they are so then they should respect the anthem instead of the farcical situation of irelands call
It is not the anthem of the island. It is the anthem of the Republic of Ireland, a 26 county state. The Irish Rugby Team is drawn from the entire island, as are the hockey and cricket teams. On that basis, they do not use the National Anthem of the Republic of Ireland - the reason is quite obvious if you read preceding sentences. It is played at matches held in the Republic as a mark of respect. Also, if there ever is a United Ireland politically I highly doubt the current anthem will remain anyway.

johnfás

paperweight said:
Does anyone know when was the first Ireland Rugby Team did pre date the Republic?
IRFU came into being in 1879. The predating body was formed 5 years previously and the first international was held in 1875. So yes it predates the Republic.

GlasgowIrish

paperweight said:
Does anyone know when was the first Ireland Rugby Team did pre date the Republic?
not sure of the year it was before partition But I know they used to play the Butchers apron Anthem before their games

johnfás

GlasgowIrish said:
paperweight said:
not sure of the year it was before partition But I know they used to play the Butchers apron Anthem before their games
Since the foundation of the state, Amhrán na bhFiann has been played played at matches held in the Republic and God Save the Queen at matches held in Northern Ireland. This has now ceased as published protocol for the match against Italy to be held in Belfast this month will play only Ireland's Call. Until 1995 no anthem was played at away games (when Ireland's Call was commissioned for the Rugby World Cup of that year).

fisk

johnfás said:
fisk said:
It is not the anthem of the island. It is the anthem of the Republic of Ireland, a 26 county state. The Irish Rugby Team is drawn from the entire island, as are the hockey and cricket teams. On that basis, they do not use the National Anthem of the Republic of Ireland - the reason is quite obvious if you read preceding sentences. It is played at matches held in the Republic as a mark of respect. Also, if there ever is a United Ireland politically I highly doubt the current anthem will remain anyway.

It was actually written in 1907 and was adopted as the national anthem by the free state in 1926 I think

either way the current situation is a joke presumably you stand proud when Irelands call is played :roll:

G

Gimpanzee

Rugby in this country is a Hob Knob game played and supported exclusively by the Middle to upper classes on the Isle...

Stick to talking about something you might have a clue about - like Old Firm games or something. Alternatively go and watch a couple of games between Young Munster and Shannon. If you could find them.

johnfás

fisk said:
It was actually written in 1907 and was adopted as the national anthem by the free state in 1926 I think

either way the current situation is a joke presumably you stand proud when Irelands call is played :roll:
It is not the anthem of Northern Ireland though. Northern Ireland has been recognised as an entity by a majority of citizens both North and South. Thus there is no reason why it should be sung as an anthem for a combined team representing both jurisdictions.

I'm not particularly into roaring out anthems but yes I stand and will my team on and sing both Amhrán na bhFiann and Ireland's Call at international matches. I hold no disdain for Ireland's Call either by word or principle, though I do think a better song could have been written.

fisk

johnfás said:
fisk said:

It is not the anthem of Northern Ireland though. Northern Ireland has been recognised as an entity by a majority of citizens both North and South. Thus there is no reason why it should be sung as an anthem for a combined team representing both jurisdictions.

I'm not particularly into roaring out anthems but yes I stand and will my team on and sing both Amhrán na bhFiann and Ireland's Call at international matches. I hold no disdain for Ireland's Call either by word or principle, though I do think a better song could have been written.

So what is northern Irelands anthem seen as its a recognised entity

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
fisk said:
johnfás said:
fisk said:

So what is northern Irelands anthem seen as its a recognised entity
There are several entities that don't have national antems. I can think of 10 off the top of my head.

Danny Boy/(London)Derry Air is used at the Commonwealth Games, GSTQ is used at football matches.