Ireland v's Iceland - A comparison?

retep

Just wondering two years on from the financial crises and banking collapse in Iceland and all the smug jokes at the time about the only difference between the two countries being the letter R and two years. Considering what has come to pass this week in Ireland with the arrival of the IMF, are Ireland actually in a worse state now that Iceland was two years ago. It seems to me the parallels are eerie in any case - I wonder will it mirror it right down to collapse of the Govt in the January following the crises and the follow up prosecutions of some of those responsible?

jackryan

I know people put Iceland up as an example on this site however they do not need oil, they have close nordic ties! and it is now a tough place to live in! Can u imagine us doing that and we need oil desperately! we are no iceland!

Reality 2010

We are not comparable to Iceland. They only believed they could walk on water in recent years (and found to their cost that this is only a Biblical story). We always believed that we had 'Irish solutions to Irish problems' - we were different. We were so arrogant that we would not pass European Treaties because we knew better. We walked on the water of the property bubble - bought property all over the world on credit. As a people we should look at ourselves first. We elect politicians, we demand hospitals at every crossroads, local issues dominate with no concern for the country and national issues. Let's all grow up!

Tigris Celtica

We were so arrogant that we would not pass European Treaties because we knew better.
Oh FFS ! So we're in this mess because Irish people didn't pass European Treaties ! ! .:rolleyes:

We're in this mess precisely because we were bullied into signing too many European treaties without understanding their implications. Consequently the country was colonised by Eastern Europeans who completely distorted the labour and property markets. And it was also MADNESS to join the Euro when the UK didn't. The Irish Government had a covenant with the EU to run a responsible economy - They completely failed to do that. Now we'll pay the price.... Wait for December 7th - a day that will live in infamy.

Reality 2010

My point is not that we didn't pass EU Treaties but that we thought we were so independant that we didn't need to be European. The eastern Europeans did not do anything to our property market - we did. We bought houses to let to Eastern Europeans who were building houses for us to 'buy to let' at ridiculous prices. people are fundamentally the same every where except Ireland where we are 'different' in our own eyes!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies