Ireland's 10 year Healthcare Strategy

ger12

The government is today launching a 10 year plan for Ireland's healthcare provision - The Oireachtas Future of Healthcare Committee has secured all-party agreement for the plan ( Róisin Shortall is the chair of the committee) – which will require investment of approximately €5.8bn over the next decade.

The aim is to radically transform the health service to establish a universal, single-tiered service, delivered on medical need and not on ability to pay with free GP for all, a phasing out of private healthcare within public hospitals and cuts to the cost of medication for patients - single-tier, universal service paid for through general taxation.

"The plan commits to reducing waiting times to a maximum of 12 weeks for inpatient procedures, 10 weeks for outpatient appointments and ten days for a diagnostic test.

It will also see the HSE transformed into “a more strategic “national centre” carrying out national level functions” while regional bodies are established to ensure timely access to integrated care."

Really exciting times. Planning ahead in Irish healthcare has been very successful like the 10 year Cancer Stragety in Ireland, and is very welcome as is the cross party involvement.

One or two concerns, would the aim of this plan is to see a marked drop in private health insurance as the public system improves and it becomes clear that holding a private insurance policy provides no extra benefits within the public system, what happens in the interim? And is ignoring the private sector really the way to go?

And this will cost, in the event of a downturn in the economy, will we safeguard this plan?

I'll post the full Strategy when it's published.

New 'Sláintecare' plan aims to end two-tier health...

Minister Harris: “I firmly believe that this is the last chance of this generation to get this right and to take the politics out of health. This report is the culmination of a year-long process of unprecedented cross-party collaboration, dialogue and engagement. I am delighted that the report has reached political consensus and support.”

Published Strategy link below
http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/committees/futureofhealthcare/Oireachtas-Committee-on-the-Future-of-Healthcare-Slaintecare-Report-300517.pdf

Last edited:

HarshBuzz

The government is today launching a 10 year plan for Ireland's healthcare provision - The Oireachtas Future of Healthcare Committee has secured all-party agreement for the plan ( Róisin Shortall is the chair of the committee) – which will require investment of approximately €5.8bn over the next decade.

The aim is to radically transform the health service to establish a universal, single-tiered service, delivered on medical need and not on ability to pay with free GP for all, a phasing out of private healthcare within public hospitals and cuts to the cost of medication for patients.

"The plan commits to reducing waiting times to a maximum of 12 weeks for inpatient procedures, 10 weeks for outpatient appointments and ten days for a diagnostic test.

It will also see the HSE transformed into “a more strategic “national centre” carrying out national level functions” while regional bodies are established to ensure timely access to integrated care."

Exciting times. Planning ahead in Irish healthcare has been very successful like the 10 year Cancer Stragety in Ireland, and is very welcome as is the cross party involvement.

One or two concerns would the aim of this plan is to see a marked drop in private health insurance as the public system improves and it becomes clear that holding a private insurance policy provides no extra benefits within the public system, what happens in the interim? And is ignoring the private sector really the way to go? And this will cost, in the event of a downturn in the economy, will we safeguard this plan?

I'll post the full Stragety when it's published.

what's the cost and how will it be paid for?

ger12

what's the cost and how will it be paid for?
Cost is above (I'm presuming on top of current annual cost). And yes, that figure will likely increase.

The how I'm also wondering about, will it be through general taxation once we're up and running in 10 years time if private health insurance will become a thing of the past?

It's ambitious and certainly a worthy ambition.

HarshBuzz

Cost is above (I'm presuming on top of current annual cost). And yes, that figure will likely increase.

The how I'm also wondering about, will it be through general taxation once we're up and running in 10 years time if private health insurance will become a thing of the past?

It's ambitious and certainly a worthy ambition.
I am wholly suspicious. The Irish healthcare service is a financial Bermuda Triangle, into which boats full of money sail into and a re promptly stripped of treasure by the pirate insiders.

As long as the health unions control the dialogue, no reform will occur. Despite worthy-sounding plans like this one.

Orbit v2

I heard Roisin Shortall on the radio this morning. It was the same kind of fanfare that accompanied every other health plan, with the same platitudes about "patient focus" blah blah. Sorry to be cynical, but health is a black hole and will suck in all available resources without producing much in return, unless certain hard choices are made.

ger12

TDs have spent a year working on a plan for the future of healthcare. Here's what it looks like

One of the committee’s members, Dublin South-Central TD Joan Collins, said that the recommendations in the report “represent a huge step forward”.

She said: “It is long past time we dismantled the expensive and not fit for purpose jumble of public and private, state bodies and charities, religious institutions and NGOs.”

Collins said that she wanted to identify that a key aspect of the report highlights that “inequality in society” is an important “determinant factor in health.

D

Deleted member 17573

The aim is to radically transform the health service to establish a universal, single-tiered service, delivered on medical need and not on ability to pay with free GP for all, a phasing out of private healthcare within public hospitals and cuts to the cost of medication for patients.

Really exciting times. Planning ahead in Irish healthcare has been very successful like the 10 year Cancer Stragety in Ireland, and is very welcome as is the cross party involvement.

One or two concerns, would the aim of this plan is to see a marked drop in private health insurance as the public system improves and it becomes clear that holding a private insurance policy provides no extra benefits within the public system, what happens in the interim? And is ignoring the private sector really the way to go?

And this will cost, in the event of a downturn in the economy, will we safeguard this plan?

I'll post the full Stragety when it's published.

Regional bodies - does this mean another layer of management and administration piled on top of the HSE, which was piled on top of the DoH? A resurrection of the old Health Boards?

wombat

I'd like to see us move to the Canadian method of paying for healthcare, a separate, govt run, compulsory insurance scheme i.e. a ring fenced payroll deduction.

Spanner Island

Expecting the HSE to change into something useful and effective is folly imo.

It needs to be dismantled, renamed and rebuilt from scratch with patients being the focus and not the lifers within it.

Orbit v2

Regional bodies - does this mean another layer of management and administration piled on top of the HSE, which was piled on top of the DoH? A resurrection of the old Health Boards?
I think I heard Shortall say, regional bodies and a new central focus.

All things to all men.

wombat

If it walks like a duck.....

ger12

I am wholly suspicious. The Irish healthcare service is a financial Bermuda Triangle, into which boats full of money sail into and a re promptly stripped of treasure by the pirate insiders.

As long as the health unions control the dialogue, no reform will occur. Despite worthy-sounding plans like this one.
I guess the idea behind a cross party 10 Strategy is that obstacles such as vested interests can be tackled with this cross party support.

It wasn't any way easy for FF and Harney to close cancer services across the country in order to implement the cancer Strategy yet they managed it.

Last edited:

ger12

I'm really hoping this isn't simply a ploy to have politicians involved like back in the old bad days of the health boards.

Gin Soaked

Expect to see Private Hospitals upping their game and reach.

Health care will drift into a clearer split between private insurance and public.

Might actually make private health insurance more attractive, if more expensive.

Untill we end up with a NHS type solution.

Watch this space.

Might also see state buying procedures in private hospitals, which would actually be prudent.

Spanner Island

I think I heard Shortall say, regional bodies and a new central focus.

All things to all men.
Yeah... create the HSE by merging all the old health boards in order to improve efficiency and bang for buck... fail miserably to do so and then propose what sounds like maintaining the HSE and re-introducing what sounds like health boards as another layer...

If that's the 'plan' it's dead in the water for patients already... although obviously a boon for those within the 'system'.

ger12

Expecting the HSE to change into something useful and effective is folly imo.

It needs to be dismantled, renamed and rebuilt from scratch with patients being the focus and not the lifers within it.
Not it doesn't. That its managed to operate during the crisis of the last decade is admirable. It's a model we should be operating from.

Spanner Island

Expect to see Private Hospitals upping their game and reach.

Health care will drift into a clearer split between private insurance and public.

Might actually make private health insurance more attractive, if more expensive.

Untill we end up with a NHS type solution.

Watch this space.

Might also see state buying procedures in private hospitals, which would actually be prudent.
NHS type solution?

The NHS is going to bankrupt Britain eventually.

mr_anderson

Healthcare will continue to be problematic so long as people rely on it to solve the illnesses caused by their own (bad) choices in diet & lifestyle.

New Threads