Ireland's Ambassador's to Japan apartment costs €46k pcm - spa, gymn ,wine cellar,roof garden,swimming pool

General Urko

Also how much are half decent Tokyo Rentals, I'm sure they are probably much higher than even Dublin and that says it all!

ruserious

Public service pensions are about 50% of salary in this country! Remeber it's fourth world Apartheid stuff against non connected ordinary Irish People for the most part!
Half of final salary pre 2013 and half average career salary post 2013.

raspberry tea

What we really need to find out is what are the export rates to Japan from Ireland? Do they warrant the 46,000k spend per month? Is it worth entertaining Japanese elite,which im sure she was hired to do to boost commerce for the japan ireland route...Is it worth it?How many Japanese businesses have opened here?This is what we need to know....I suppose what im trying to say is are we getting a good return for our 46k spend per month?

raspberry tea

Since the disaster at the japanese fukushima plant,japanese people have a need for clean,nuclear free fish and seaweed,apparently the japanese are big on irish seaweed...Maybe if we wine and dine them some more they could even buy other irish produce and open businesses here,in otherwords the 46k would be a small price to pay for what we are getting in return...However i do agree with the sentiment that as a nation we cannot afford to spend 46k per month willy nilly,and the spa in her apartment how functional is that?I can understand why she might ''need'' a wine cellar to entertain relevant japanese businessmen and so on but i don't think she needs the spa...Anyway this is one article i dug up...Have a a good read;Irish seaweed exporters are making it big in Japan · TheJournal.ie

InsideImDancing

Thieving b@stards. :-|

Prester Jim

Pretty stupid and horribly wasteful, it has always been the way though, the cuts are for the little people after all.
In the context of the cuts to all the front line services, benefits and essential services and the woeful increases in taxes too... Charlie Flanagan has real questions to answer here as he is either on top of his brief and knew about this or he is incompetent and didn't.
I posted about this in 2009 or 2010 after Colm McCarthy spoke about this at a talk I was at; he said that the dept of foreign affairs was to be left comparatively untouched, was told this by Michael Martin and Lenihan backed him up (if I recall correctly) so FF have questions to answer too.

automaticforthepeople

Never knew that chocolate could be that dear

[video=youtube;4P-nZZkQqTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-nZZkQqTc[/video]

RasherHash

The title says a lot

The IT have scant details as they are re-reporting the Irish Mail on Sunday exclusive
Irish diplomat’s home in Tokyo costing €46,000 a month

In my experience of our Sir Humprhreycrats ...the ones in Merrion Street and Iveagh House are the most adept at feathering their own nests

Our Ambassador's residence in Tokyo does not, imo require prestige factor

Plenty suitably located secure dwellings are available for much lower rent

Comrade Anne Barrington

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/japan/about-us/ambassador/

Is a big green jersey wearer ...interviews with her show her to be nearly all about commercial relations
IJCC » Ambassador of Ireland to Japan H.E. Anne Barrington featured in EUROBiZ Japan

And...they literally have a green jersey page
Team Ireland in Japan

[video=youtube;C14U7JYGRgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C14U7JYGRgA[/video]

cyp
The elite always look after themselves but plenty of fools still vote for them.

dizillusioned

Is this not par for the course for Iveagh House? It has . after all, remained a hereditary entry criteria maintained since it provided refuge for the displaced from the Castle in 22 and the CnG government upon ascension of Dan Breen & co in the 30's.....

Here in NY the consul general (not ambassador....thats in DC) has a very fine high ceiling apartment with rooftop located handily in relation to the consular offices......quite why an apartment of suitable size to throw parties is needed so close to offices with a function room of a size suitable to throwing parties, in a town full of irish owned restaurants & hotels of a suitable size to throw parties is beyond me .........but I have enjoyed the free alcohol when Ive been - though diageo & irish distillers tend to over represented...
AND the fecker runs out of all day meetings on Fridays with other diplomats at 2pm because he has "other business" to deal with... Yeah right.. getting to the Hamptons before the rush starts.... every other diplomat stayed in the meeting...I was mortified as an Irish person.

Disillusioned democrat

The elite always look after themselves but plenty of fools still vote for them.
The way it works in Ireland is that as soon as you vote for someone they make themselves "elite".

There's absolutely NO-ONE in the Dail or Cabinet, or the diplomatic corps for that matter, who I believe would be as successful/elite as they appear to be without us "giving" them the keys to the coffers. Except when we vote for them they neglect to tell us that they're going to behave like alcoholics getting the keys to an off license.

Blokesbloke

She obviously isn't getting a hairdo and make up allowance!
Damn you beat me!

Glad I'm not alone though. Her apartment has a spa and still she manages to look like that?

Blokesbloke

Misogynist! You wouldn't be saying that if it was a man.......:lol:
I most certainly would...

My Seanie had the good sense to have no hair at all but yiz lot were still too stupid to vote him in as President!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Is it possible that ugly Ambassadors cost more ?

Do recall Iveagh House....are shallow people...big into appearance and glamour ...so if they send an ugly bint out East ...she needs a glamorous apartment/complex to make her look good. Problem is ...you can put royal garb on a pig ...but it's still a pig

Perhaps Himbo Kevin McCarthy could be extracted from Micky D's Aras ...and sent East instead ...

cyp

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Ah yes ...taking a leaf from the KGB playbook ...find a detail of the story you don't like...and play the victim

Diplomat may go to ombudsman over reports on Tokyo house
The couple said the newspaper had violated Mr Miliano’s privacy and caused him stress and embarrassment. “While attacking civil servants may now be considered fair game, attacking their families crosses a line which is unacceptable,” said Ms Barrington. “We are considering our options on this.”
“It’s quite rare to find an apartment in Tokyo with a huge entertainment space,” said an Embassy spokesman. “In the rental market, we feel we have good value.”

cyp

Roberto Jordan

Ah yes ...taking a leaf from the KGB playbook ...find a detail of the story you don't like...and play the victim

Diplomat may go to ombudsman over reports on Tokyo house

cyp
1) In my , limited, experience spouses and partners of irish DoFA staff get too much consideration and overly generous treatment , with some bad optics at least form teh outside in terms of appointments & frequency of travel "home"", relative to the partners of ex-pats management working for MNCs ( dont wish to turn this into the tiresome public/ private - but thats just my experience...)

2) I just cannot believe they are sticking to their guns. I really struggle with the whole entertainment space piece. As I shared previously my experience in cities like NY is of huge apartments being rented adjacent to large consular facilities and/or third party entertainment venues.......Its not 1812.....one can entertain the russian and french ambassadors outside ones personal salon....

It doesn't matter what city you live in. 45,000 a month is unacceptable.

3) this further proves my long held belief that DoFA and their brethren in finance are the purest concentration of the Castle crew, and their arriviste comrades that have donned the same clothes, that have been running this place since the 1890s......their historically complete disconnect from the traditional irish emigrant communities being a case in point ( if, on the other had, one was in the arts world or played rugby rather than Gah or worked for aer lingus rather than handing them a months salary every year....then a reception could be arranged post haste)

New Threads

Most Replies