Ireland's best value supermarket is? ... and is 47% cheaper than? See inside

robut

Price survey reveals Ireland's best value supermarket

A new food price survey has found retailer Aldi is up to 47% cheaper than other supermarkets.

The survey, conducted by Grant Thornton, says Aldi has reduced the price of over one-third of its product range in past 12 months.

It examined the prices of groceries at Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, SuperValu and Dunnes Stores.

A basket of 62 own-brand products is more than 17% cheaper in Aldi than Tesco, over 24% cheaper in Aldi than Dunnes Stores (after taking into account their €10 off €50 voucher offer) and up to 47% cheaper in Aldi than SuperValu.

Grant Thornton says individual items are often several times more expensive than Aldi products: e.g. SuperValu in Galway sold Cherry Vine Tomatoes for €4.98 versus €1.69 in Aldi, Dunnes Stores in Cork sold Vintage White Cheddar for €4.99 versus €1.59 in Aldi and Tesco in Dublin sold Orange/Apple Juice packs for €3.38 versus €1.25 in Aldi.

A series of price comparison shops were carried out on consecutive days in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway across the most common grocery items bought by Irish households.

The sample grocery basket - randomly selected by Grant Thornton - was found to cost on average €65.04 in Aldi, €65.53 in Lidl, €76.54 in Tesco, €80.74 in Dunnes Stores and €95.50 in SuperValu.
I have to say I notice that .. SUPERVALU is by far way more expensive than say Dunnes etc for the weekly shop. I mean WAY more, and this seems to show that. I dont have an Aldi near by

Anyone else find this?

For full disclosure .. I am the one that does all the weekly shops and pays for it, so I know :D

robut

Spotted this also today:

https://www.facebook.com/seamus.mcgrath.505?hc_ref=ARTrfilAKNGp5wm9lh1lFvPCuvGb9UL7MlFmKo5AAXKNWlE4la5MfRyHnbN3DOKe3ec&fref=nf

Via Seamus McGrath .. to do with Passage West in Cork

Aldi - Passage West

Unfortunately, An Bord Pleanala has confirmed that there has been an appeal lodged in relation to the proposed Aldi store on the former Eurospar site. This is very disappointing news. I understand the appeal was lodged on the last day possible. Obviously, the permission granted by the Council will now be reviewed. At the very least this will cause a delay of several months with the development. Sorry to have to report bad news.
On way into Passage from the Douglas / Rochestown side is a large vacant ex Eurospar centre.

Last while this has been developed, now will have to stop no doubt

Is this coincidental? As in powers that be do not want an Aldi in neighbourhood, especially in small towns, competing at this level? Keep the prices up?

hammer

A basket of 62 own-brand products is more than 17% cheaper in Aldi than Tesco, over 24% cheaper in Aldi than Dunnes Stores (after taking into account their €10 off €50 voucher offer) and up to 47% cheaper in Aldi than SuperValu.

Wow.

Love to know what margin Dunnes are achieving.

Clanrickard

Spotted this also today:

https://www.facebook.com/seamus.mcgrath.505?hc_ref=ARTrfilAKNGp5wm9lh1lFvPCuvGb9UL7MlFmKo5AAXKNWlE4la5MfRyHnbN3DOKe3ec&fref=nf

Via Seamus McGrath .. to do with Passage West in Cork

On way into Passage from the Douglas / Rochestown side is a large vacant ex Eurospar centre. Last while this has been developed, now will have to stop no doubt

Is this coincidental? As in powers that be do not want an Aldi in neighbourhood, especially in small towns, competing at this level? Keep the prices up?
People rightly do not want job destroying supermarkets in their neighbourhood.

hammer

Castleknock is getting a new LIDL.

We are incredibly lucky that when the recession / depression hit after the Fianna FAIL Government that we had Aldi / Lidl to bring the cost of grocery shopping down.

Tesco / Dunnes / SuperValu were taking "excessive" margins.

robut

People rightly do not want job destroying supermarkets in their neighbourhood.
But surely .. from above .. up to a 47% difference / dearer is taking cash out of your and my pocket for a start that we could be spending elsewhere locally. Surely Dunnes, Supervalu are ripping us off?

AND dont ALDI also employ people, create jobs locally too??

mr_anderson

Wow.

Love to know what margin Dunnes are achieving.

I find the €10 off for €50 spent promotion works best with alcohol.

Clanrickard

But surely .. from above .. up to a 47% difference / dearer is taking cash out of your and my pocket for a start that we could be spending elsewhere locally. Surely Dunnes, Supervalu are ripping us off?

AND dont ALDI also employ people, create jobs locally too??
For every job they create 2/3 are lost. Also Aldis stuff is very hit and miss. Tried their sausages, marked Irish, and yeuch. They can be ok but their quality is not near as good as Supervalu

robut

The thing about that Dunnes €10 off for €50 spent promotion is great BUT only if you keep shopping in Dunnes every week to get the next €10 off voucher.

Some people get sucked into the offer where other stores say they will honour that Dunnes €10 off voucher BUT forget they will not get another one from that other store for next shop ...

Supra

Price survey reveals Ireland's best value supermarket

I have to say I notice that .. SUPERVALU is by far way more expensive than say Dunnes etc for the weekly shop. I mean WAY more, and this seems to show that. I dont have an Aldi near by

Anyone else find this?

For full disclosure .. I am the one that does all the weekly shops and pays for it, so I know :D
It's the buy local tag being abused.

If we can guilt you into it we can charge you more.
I'm all behind buying local but if it is to be taken seriously it needs regulated from source to retail.

robut

For every job they create 2/3 are lost. Also Aldis stuff is very hit and miss. Tried their sausages, marked Irish, and yeuch. They can be ok but their quality is not near as good as Supervalu
"For every job they create 2/3 are lost. " - How is that? As in when Aldi move in giving the local populace BETTER Value and the other stores DONT COMPETE and close??

Surely Clanrickard .. even with better quality included .. a 47% hike in price is still ridiculous?

Re the sausages .. where food is concerned its an individual thing. Im sure many love Aldi sausages too :D

johnnypockets

Can they beat Tesco at 49c offers ?
No Ted I nearby. Think there is an Aldi or lidl. Not sure which. Problem shopping in one of those it that we’d still have to go elsewhere for something. SuperValu is local and delivers. Do the other two deliver?

hammer

The weekend fry is normally all from Aldi.

First class. Sausages, eggs, pudding.

Rashers a little hit and miss.

hammer

No Ted I nearby. Think there is an Aldi or lidl. Not sure which. Problem shopping in one of those it that we’d still have to go elsewhere for something. SuperValu is local and delivers. Do the other two deliver?
I dont think Aldi or Lidl do.

Iceland, Tesco and SuperValu do.

LookWhoItIs

It's the y local tag being abused.

If we can guilt you into it we can charge you more.
I'm all behind buying local but if it is to be taken seriously it needs regulated from source to retail.
That and a lot of other tags - 100% natural, low fat, no added sugar, grass fed etc etc

New Threads

Most Replies