Ireland's dairy produce 'better than others' - study

I have always anecdotally said, as I suspect have many of you, that Irish dairy (and indeed beef) is much better than that available elsewhere - and now there is scienceyness which says it is actually a thing..

The research, carried out by scientists at Teagasc and the University College Cork based APC Microbiome Institute, found milk and dairy produce from grass and clover-fed cows has significantly greater concentrations of fat, protein and casein.
"In particular, milk from pasture-fed cows [grass or clover] has significantly higher concentrations of healthy fatty acids," said Tom O'Callaghan, PhD student at Teagasc and lead author on the study.
"These differences are reflected in butter produced from pasture-fed cows being superior in appearance, flavour and colour as confirmed by sensory panel data."
"Pasture-derived butter is also nutritionally superior for heart health with lower atherogenecity scores and containing significantly higher concentrations of CLA (c9t11), a healthy fatty acid and β-carotene which gives the butter a lovely golden colour."

Irish dairy produce better than others - study

Ireland is almost alone in raising most cattle on open pasture.

Over the boom years and after the crash, I often argued that Ireland should concentrate less on financial hocus pocus and spivvery and more on actually producing stuff and selling it. Irish agricultural produce is a world-class asset to the country, and this is yet more confirmation of it.

Prester Jim

And beta carotene, much better levels, the yank stuff is awful pale stuff, looks like lard.

ger12

I tasted organic butter in Brussels recently, not a patch on any Irish butter I've tasted.

We are very lucky to have access to such high quality dairy products.

Erudite Caveman

The fact that something is better than something else, but requires elaborate tests to prove it doesn't make much difference in this world. It's all about how it is marketed unfortunately. And we are not on the radar of the vast majority of markets. There is potential, but it will be a very tough job to make inroads into something as long established as markets for dairy produce.

Novos

And bacon.

O

Oscurito

Contrarian doomsters and moaners to arrive and rain on the parade in 5...4...3...2...1.

The fact that something is better than something else, but requires elaborate tests to prove it doesn't make much difference in this world. It's all about how it is marketed unfortunately.
Not a bad marketing tool, though. Statistical evidence that Irish dairy is better for you and also tastes better - Bord Bia could put this type of thing to very good use abroad...

Munnkeyman

silverharp

and if you want to take some money off neurotic americans :D he recommends Kerrygold

[video=youtube;6iKSL-bpbAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iKSL-bpbAM[/video]

Ellen Ripley

The fact that something is better than something else, but requires elaborate tests to prove it doesn't make much difference in this world. It's all about how it is marketed unfortunately. And we are not on the radar of the vast majority of markets. There is potential, but it will be a very tough job to make inroads into something as long established as markets for dairy produce.
On the contrary, Ireland is the second-biggest exporter of infant formula to China-- a burgeoning market--ahead of New Zealand, and just behind The Netherlands. We have long been a producer of powdered milk for export to Africa, and parts of Asia to a lesser degree, although the consumption of dairy is now increasing there too as they adopt Western dietary habits.

We account for about 15% of the world's baby milk production--a startlingly high figure for an economy our size.

Accidental sock

and if you want to take some money off neurotic americans :D he recommends Kerrygold
"Ah, Kerrygold...you 'ave this in Ireland too?"

petaljam

I have always anecdotally said, as I suspect have many of you, that Irish dairy (and indeed beef) is much better than that available elsewhere - and now there is scienceyness which says it is actually a thing..

Irish dairy produce better than others - study

Ireland is almost alone in raising most cattle on open pasture.

Over the boom years and after the crash, I often argued that Ireland should concentrate less on financial hocus pocus and spivvery and more on actually producing stuff and selling it. Irish agricultural produce is a world-class asset to the country, and this is yet more confirmation of it.
I definitely agree with the basic premise, Irish beef is way better than anything we get over here. I was told that it was to do with the breeding, and that French beef was bred to be leaner and was therefore less tasty than either Irish or British beef, so I had assumed that Irish and British were both comparable. Though I personally prefer Irish, but I thought maybe that was just my own personal taste. I'm happy to hear there's an actual explanation for that difference too.

(I don't agree with whoever said that people outside of Ireland are unaware of Irish products, or that those who are unaware couldn't quite quickly learn to appreciate the difference. People do care about food. New Zealand lamb is well-known, so there's no reason why Irish beef shouldn't be a high-status product in its own right.)

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
First off, I agree with the OP. Irish butter and cheese are excellent. On Dairy, Ireland (IDB) does a LOUSY job on promoting its exports markets. To illustrate what I mean, in your average Aussie supermarket, you'll find British, Danish (Danish for god's sake!) Italian and French butters. No Irish. The Danes practically invented intensive agriculture and yet their products stack every shelf. Ireland has everything going for it and just does nothing. A wider parable locked up in there I think.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
You couldn't buy the Irish set up. Rain-heavy Atlantic winds sweeping over green rolling hills, a history of non-intensive farming and an industry still dominated by families. We should be world champions at premium dairy products.

To understand how catastrophic a failure this is, consider equally tiny Denmark, with highly intensive warehouse (you can *see* it in the butter's colour) farming and names like "lurpack" have wiped the floor with Ireland.

Shame!

Mad as Fish

And beta carotene, much better levels, the yank stuff is awful pale stuff, looks like lard.
It carries a 50 - 100% premium over US brands according to the present Farmers Journal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies