Ireland's diversity can be an engine for growth

garrett

When asked why Google located its European headquarters in Ireland, head of Google Ireland John Herlihy said ‘because Ireland provided access to a multi-lingual and multi-cultural workforce’. 75% of Google Ireland’s workforce come from outside Ireland and they do business from their Dublin offices with all corners of the globe. In other words, there are assets we have other than a 12.5% tax rate that makes Ireland attractive.

Facebook, Ebay, Paypal are some of the other companies who have chosen to locate in Ireland on the same basis as Google. The nature of these companies demands that they work across nations, cultures and ethnic boundaries. Ireland’s 400,000 immigrants have come in significant numbers from both within and outside the EU.

Brazil, Russia, India and China are referred to as the BRICs, so called because they are the countries experiencing rapid growth and adding new ‘bricks’ to the global economy. We have within our country, people who have language knowledge and cultural knowledge which can help Ireland access new markets around the world including the BRICs. This is in addition to the fact that immigrants add significantly to Ireland’s economy.

A second Farmleigh conference tapping into the networking, cultural and economic intelligence of our immigrants could open the doors to growth. Full article on Show Racism the Red Card | Just another WordPress site

Clareboy

What another load of middle class codswollop! Diversity indeed! As an unemployed middle aged Irish male - what good will all those new cultures and languages do for me? The immigrants are intelligent all right and have brought ' milking the system' to new levels.

DeputyEdo

I thought that Google et al are all here because they get to pay feck all taxes.

EUrJokingMeRight

I thought that Google et al are all here because they get to pay feck all taxes.
+1 For Sure.

Try googling 'Googles Irish tax return 2009' for the laugh.

fluffykontbiscuits

What another load of middle class codswollop! Diversity indeed! As an unemployed middle aged Irish male - what good will all those new cultures and languages do for me? The immigrants are intelligent all right and have brought ' milking the system' to new levels.
You tell them! I mean it doesnt matter they have a degree and speak four or five languages, employ the monoglot Enlgish speakers who just have a Leaving Cert! We dont need an educated workforce !

Honestly :roll:....

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
Er, so immigrants working for Google are just scroungers then, milking the systems? You know, people who went through 10 interviews to get their job and are tops of their fields?

P.

bob3344

When asked why Google located its European headquarters in Ireland, head of Google Ireland John Herlihy said ‘because Ireland provided access to a multi-lingual and multi-cultural workforce’.
If thats such a major consideration, why don't they move to london instead ?

Doodah

Approx. 75% of Google's Dublin employees are non-nationals.
If there's any hint of an Irish corpo tax increase they'll be hopping over to London in the click of a mouse.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Brits & Dutch are already negotiating with them. Ireland's difficulty is Britain's opportunity and all that , old chap.
The sympathetic noises by Cameron and "bail-out" money (@6% interest), was just for show and represented a perfect opportunity to gloat. This is how the world works.

Mitsui2

You tell them! I mean it doesnt matter they have a degree and speak four or five languages, employ the monoglot Enlgish speakers who just have a Leaving Cert! We dont need an educated workforce !

Honestly :roll:....
No, no, no, fkb, don't you understand - all those multilingual foreigners with degrees who work for Google and contribute taxes to the Irish economy are milking the system.

Not sure how, mind you, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to explain in. In the meantime let's just disapprove of it! Who needs all these tall poppies anyway?

Twin Towers

Every country in the world seeks talented individuals with necessary skills not available locally, that is a given. But if you think Roma beggars sitting on their holes outside the Post Office is an engine for growth you're an idiot.

Dr Pat

I have no problem with well-educated foreigners legally coming to Ireland to work as long as there is a clear benefit for Ireland as a society and a community and Irish people do not lose out as a result. One wonders though about the motivations of global capitalists such as Google.

reknaw

Approx. 75% of Google's Dublin employees are non-nationals.
:rolleyes:

That means 25% of a not inconsiderable number are Irish. And all 100% will be paying income tax and spending money here. Those who are non-nationals are there mainly because they are native or very fluent speakers of languages that Google needs in its work. If Clareboy could speak, say, Slovakian fluently enough, and if he had the other requisite qualifications, he would get one of those jobs.:lol:

If there's any hint of an Irish corpo tax increase they'll be hopping over to London in the click of a mouse.
Which makes it so important that we stick to our guns and resist pressure from other countries that would love to take in all those non-nationals.petunia

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brits & Dutch are already negotiating with them. Ireland's difficulty is Britain's opportunity and all that , old chap.
See previous answer. But don't the Dutch deserve some reward for poaching U2 and the Boner from us? Not that we actually lost anything.:lol:

The sympathetic noises by Cameron and "bail-out" money (@6% interest), was just for show and represented a perfect opportunity to gloat. This is how the world works.
There might be something to that, but in the meantime let's just wait and see and build on the strengths we have.:cool:

fluffykontbiscuits

Every country in the world seeks talented individuals with necessary skills not available locally, that is a given. But if you think Roma beggars sitting on their holes outside the Post Office is an engine for growth you're an idiot.
If the Roma speak a few languages and have a degree they can work in google full stop...I really dont see the logic to your point TT

fluffykontbiscuits

No, no, no, fkb, don't you understand - all those multilingual foreigners with degrees who work for Google and contribute taxes to the Irish economy are milking the system.

Not sure how, mind you, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to explain in. In the meantime let's just disapprove of it! Who needs all these tall poppies anyway?
Ahhh I get it now, so that means Im milking the system by paying tax! I was getting confused mate ;)

fluffykontbiscuits

Go on, tell us, genius, I know you want to:
How many Roma meet these criteria?
Hang on and I will go out and ask each and everyone, Camper Van can hold my clipboard. Are you suggesting that they vast majority are ill educated? Try not to revert to sweeping generalisations when answering.....

charley

Watch as the multinationals all pull out over the next few years as the government can no longer pay the sweeteners to keep them here. The years of tramping down the country's indigenous sectors while licking up to foreign companies will prove to be another nail in FF's coffin.Anyone who thinks that the likes of Google are here for anything other than a Tax break needs their head read.

New Threads