Ireland's Emigration Crisis

redeemer

Ok, here's my situation.

I'm in my early 30s and was made redundant in April. I am due to return to University in two weeks time attempting to 'retrain' however I am currently leaning heavily towards cancelling my offer and upping sticks and heading to London.

There is nothing here for me now, I can't envision there being much here for me in 5 years. This country just doesn't learn from its many past mistakes.

I'm reminded of an episode of Frontline from earlier this year. A young 'entrepreneur' spoke with exasperation at the constant recriminations and rehashing of the current crisis. Her basic assertion was to get over it and get on with the job at hand. The only problem is that one cannot be an entrepreneur in a vaccum. No lesson learned tends to correlate with a high chance of the same befalling one over and over again.

I find Caothaoir's post (#5) to be indicative to all that was and remains wrong in this country.
""I'm leaving because Ireland can't/won't provide me a job." "Ireland has failed me so I'm off to a country which will provide one."

Familiar isn't it? I'm sick to death of this mindset."

Personally I'm sick to death to this mindset, how long should we sit by and get ****ed time and time again?

Joyce was spot on then and remains spot on now; "Ireland is the old sow that eats her farrow."

Last edited:

gombeennation

Sorry mate but comments like that are plain Anti Irish Racism!
what part do you disagree with?
i will clarify my postion.

papaquebec

laidback

can anyone explain how official emigration figures are calculated for Irish people leaving the country?

You don't have to tell anyone you are going. Two of my children left as no work. they weren't drawing the dole so not in any unemployment figures. they just left - they didn't have to tell any official they were going. Know lots of parents whose 20 somethings left college and couldn't get work so left.

What are the actual figures for recent Irish emigration - probably unknown?

gombeennation

Ok, here's my situation.

I'm in my early 30s and was made redundant in April. I am due to return to University in two weeks time attempting to 'retrain' however I am currently leaning heavily towards cancelling my offer and upping sticks and heading to London.

There is nothing here for me now, I can't envision there being much here for me in 5 years. This country just doesn't learn from its many past mistakes.

I'm reminded of an episode of Frontline from earlier this year. A young 'entrepreneur' spoke with exasperation at the constant recriminations and rehashing of the current crisis. Her basic assertion was to get over it and get on with the job at hand. The only problem is that one cannot be an entrepreneur in a vaccum. No lesson learned tends to correlate with a high chance of the same befalling one over and over again.

I find Caothaoir's post (#5) to be indicative to all that was and remains wrong in this country.
""I'm leaving because Ireland can't/won't provide me a job." "Ireland has failed me so I'm off to a country which will provide one."

Familiar isn't it? I'm sick to death of this mindset."

Personally I'm sick to death to this mindset, how long should we sit by and get ****ed time and time again?
im sick of it too - same old same old.
another chestnut is "why dont you do something about it".
like fking what? 90% gombeen will fk u up if you try.
another is "people blaming everyone other than themselves , blame FF , blame the gov"
YES I DO BLAME FF - there the ones at the helm , they were supposed to be managing the fking situation.

anyway , back to u. if i were you i would take the training. why not. another string to your bow. if its a good course then take it - get your qualification and then move on.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
can anyone explain how official emigration figures are calculated for Irish people leaving the country?

You don't have to tell anyone you are going. Two of my children left as no work. they weren't drawing the dole so not in any unemployment figures. they just left - they didn't have to tell any official they were going. Know lots of parents whose 20 somethings left college and couldn't get work so left.

I think they calculate it by cross-referencing: number of workers in country, active PPS no.s, births-deaths etc.

gombeennation

im sorry to hear that - it is a shame when the youngsters go.
but find heart in the fact that they will probably have a better life somewhere else.
encourage them to stay abroad so your grandkids dont get gombeenated!!

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
It's the elites that should emigrate given they are ultimately to blame for us joining the Euro and accepting EU Enlargement. Gombeenation you are falling into the trap set by the elites when they equate "us" with "them" in terms of responsibility for their mistakes. We are not to blame. They are to blame. Don't let them off the hook. ;)

Scipio

Emigrating and living abroad guarentees no bed of roses either. I can't speak for England, but France and Spain have more than their fair share of gombeenism, not to mention bureaucracy.

Like most things, this works in cycles. When it swings back up, and swing back up it will, I'd still rather go back to Ireland no matter how profitable it might be to stay abroad.

G

Gadjodilo

If you hate our Country so much then why don't you f.cuk off out of it yourself.

You won't be missed.
No-one would have gombeen_____. He/she would be back in a couple of weeks.

Try to understand, gombeen, that you're not alone in realising we have serious problems. But the utter defeatism in your attitude, the crass self-loathing racism and the ridiculous assumption that you have realised some truth about 4 million individuals that the rest of us just can't see - this is what means you'll never be a part of the solution. We need people with actual ideas, you see.

I've heard the barstool bores, the d'ye-no-wots-wrong-wit-dis-country types but you're an order of magnitude worse.

gombeennation

It's the elites that should emigrate given they are ultimately to blame for us joining the Euro and accepting EU Enlargement. Gombeenation you are falling into the trap set by the elites when they equate "us" with "them" in terms of responsibility for their mistakes. We are not to blame. They are to blame. Don't let them off the hook. ;)
look i know its FF that do the damage repeatedly.
i know and understand this.
the problem i have is that we as a nation keep voting the same type of low level scum bag over and over again.
thats not the worst of it , the worst part is i think we genuinely believe it will be "differerent this time". we have absolutely no clue when it comes to economics. we have no clue how politicians should be treated.
thats what annoys me.
people in this country on an individual level are fantastic , one of the top 10 places in the world for people on that level ( well of my travels anyway , and IMO of course ).
but we seem to have a genetic self destruct button.
and i do think its a learned thing.
did you see that program on freefall banking today?
part where trichet( sp?) was trying to get to talk to honest lenny?
lenny remarked with a smirk that he was at the races at the time.
just think about that for a minute.
not that fact that he WAS at the races when the country was going down the tubes.
but rather think about the fact that he ADMITTED it on telly.
then think about the level of pride he said it with.
then finally think about the fact that he knew saying that would endear himself to a big % of voters out there.
and he is correct. people over here love that shlt.
and thats the sad thing.

Dredger

im sorry to hear that - it is a shame when the youngsters go.
but find heart in the fact that they will probably have a better life somewhere else.
encourage them to stay abroad so your grandkids dont get gombeenated!!
Of course, Ireland is the exception to the rule...Everywhere else is a utopian paradise where corruption doesn't exist and everyone is as pure as the driven snow.. I am assuming you are still here and if you are what are you still here for?. Pack your bags and get the first plane to Warsaw or Athens or wherever.

gombeennation

If you hate our Country so much then why don't you f.cuk off out of it yourself.

You won't be missed.
i dont hate the country - i loath the servile captipping attitude of the paddy.
i genuinely loath it.
as for out of the country - i do fk off more often than not.
you should try it sometime - you might see what a sad sack of shlt the inhabitants of this septic isle are. a view from outside is usually more clear.

charming rogues eh?
low expectation swindlers more like.

Scipio

i dont hate the country - i loath the servile captipping attitude of the paddy.
i genuinely loath it.
as for out of the country - i do fk off more often than not.
you should try it sometime - you might see what a sad sack of shlt the inhabitants of this septic isle are. a view from outside is usually more clear.

charming rogues eh?
low expectation swindlers more like.
Thanks for that illuminating insight into the country's challenges. Do everyone a favour, leave Ireland, and stay away.

gombeennation

No-one would have gombeen_____. He/she would be back in a couple of weeks.

Try to understand, gombeen, that you're not alone in realising we have serious problems. But the utter defeatism in your attitude, the crass self-loathing racism and the ridiculous assumption that you have realised some truth about 4 million individuals that the rest of us just can't see - this is what means you'll never be a part of the solution. We need people with actual ideas, you see.

I've heard the barstool bores, the d'ye-no-wots-wrong-wit-dis-country types but you're an order of magnitude worse.
you dont know anything about me - i can tip the cap as good as anyone - dont worry about me! i've excelled at the gombeen theatre - won an oscar or two. met some super sleevens in my day too. and you can smell em. you just know they are talking to you cos they think you got pull ( i actually didnt at the time ) - putting on the stupid paddy show.
course i pretend to go along with it.
arrgggh feel dirty now - but sure made the few bob and isnt that what its all about.:roll:

its amazing what people will do when they THINK you have a bit of pull - i can only image what its like if you are a TD.

anyway , i digress - back to my "defeatism" - there must come a time when you say "that fight it too tough for me" , "that road is too long" - you gotta know when your beaten son and you sure as well are in a place with 90% gombeens and the rest sleevens.
you cant beat those odds.

are you admitting that you see what i see - that you see we are low expectation nation?

gombeennation

Of course, Ireland is the exception to the rule...Everywhere else is a utopian paradise where corruption doesn't exist and everyone is as pure as the driven snow.. I am assuming you are still here and if you are what are you still here for?. Pack your bags and get the first plane to Warsaw or Athens or wherever.
ah come on now - dont be silly. i made little or no comment on other places. dont try to deflect from irelands shambolic state.
the fact is we are on the rocks AGAIN.
by the same party.
and we will see our youth leave on planes yet again.
these are the facts.

yes i am still here - though not full time anymore.
i do like the place - am 100% irish - but i'll be fked if this shower of cnts are getting any more money off me.
all my business interests are abroad - ALL of them.
and why? cos i knew this day was coming.
but by all means , stay here - brown nose your local councillor/TD so that your kid ( or yourself ) might get a start in the bank/council etc.
demean yourself - go on you know you want to.
why? cos you dont have the sack to make it for yourself.

G

Gadjodilo

you dont know anything about me - i can tip the cap as good as anyone - dont worry about me! i've excelled at the gombeen theatre - won an oscar or two. met some super sleevens in my day <snip right here>
Some? Only some? Sweetheart, if you truly believe what you've been ranting in this thread, you'd claim to be meeting about 50 of these every day.

Let's recap. You've met a few dodgy characters in your time and you're claiming that these are typical of all Irish people.

Need I supply the conclusion here or will I let you work it out for yourself?

Last edited:

Popular Threads

Most Replies