• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ireland's excessive alcohol consumption - it is not time to get tough on this issue?

Mattarigna

After reading a scaremongering thread about Turkey's latest alcohol restrictions, it got me thinking - maybe it's time that we stop trying soft tactics on getting people(especially younger people) to drink less alcohol, and implement the sort of measures that the Drinks industry will squeal at. It's an open secret that most Irish teenagers drink - in my case, I can only name two other people in my year of 50+ students that never drank alcohol. And that was the case since 3rd year.

Yes, it may be true that many people can drink responsibly - but the reality is, many don't, and at any rate, teenagers shouldn't be drinking in the first place. We've had classes where the dangers of alcohol were discussed - all I can say is, they don't work. As long as there is easy enough access to drink, many people in my generation aren't going to listen. It is also true that alcohol consumption has decreased - but it's still unforgivably high, and costs the taxpayer hundreds of million every year, if not billions.

The reality is, if we are to significantly decrease the amount of excessive drinking in this country, we should consider some draconian options - if it means banning Shops or off-licenses from selling drink, if it means minimum pricing of alcohol, should these options, and more, not be considered, for the sake of society as a whole?

Last edited:

opinions

The last thing this fooking Country needs is more Big Brother interference. If you don't like it then fook off to Saudi Arabia and join the ragheads for which drinking is a hanging offence!

Mattarigna

The last thing this fooking Country needs is more Big Brother interference. If you don't like it then fook off to Saudi Arabia and join the ragheads for which drinking is a hanging offence!
Would you rather having the government spending a small amount of money to deal with the causes of excessive drinking, or do you prefer having it spend billions on dealing with it's consequences?

Last edited:

RobertW

[video=youtube;cyX7nSAh_Uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyX7nSAh_Uk[/video]

Old Irish

I agree to a certain degree. I do drink myself but sometimes I wake up the next day and regret how much I drank. I was thinking a good idea could be to keep tabs on what people are drinking (somehow) and if they drink anymore than 6 drinks they have to pay more for said drinks.

commonman

I know the results of what drink can do to families, and i have no doubt that alcoholism is hereditary .

freewillie

How could you possibly tolerate living in this country if you werent half pissed most of the time?

Mattarigna

I agree to a certain degree. I do drink myself but sometimes I wake up the next day and regret how much I drank. I was thinking a good idea could be to keep tabs on what people are drinking (somehow) and if they drink anymore than 6 drinks they have to pay more for said drinks.
An idea I've had was that, if there was a system of national ID's, that in order to buy an alcoholic drink in a Pub, you have to have your ID scanned, and it won't allow you to buy more drink than what would be dangerous to your health. Although that idea would have it's practical difficulties, obviously.

LINKS FAHREN

You couldn't have chosen a better time to start this thread....and prove a point. It's Friday night and, if it were possible to breathalyse posters over the internet and prevent those who were pished from posting , you'd get about three (sober) replies......

twokidsmanybruises

It would still be nanny-state governance, irrespective of the good intentions.

If a referendum could be called to vote on whether alcohol should be banned outright, or access to alcohol severely limited, and if the majority of those who were registered to vote did vote "yes" to this, then I'd abide by it. But that really isn't going to happen. And I doubt that the Irish people would let such restrictions come in without their having a direct say. Be out of the loop regarding financial matters? Sure. Be out of the loop regarding alcohol? Not a chance.

Restrictions on alcohol will just lead to an energetic black market, just as we've seen with tobacco.

I'd say take a look at the continent, where there are far less restrictions on where and when alcohol can be bought and consumed. Alcohol consumption there is more "normalised" as a responsible activity, its availability lessening the chances of binge drinking, and not increasing them.

Last edited:

wombat

Would you rather having the government spending a small amount of money to deal with the causes of excessive drinking, instead of having to spend billions on it's consequences?
You need to remember that most posters are under the legal drinking age.
I recently met up with some college friends after many years and we reminisced about some of our escapades all of which involved excessive drinking. Of special interest were our many purely educational trips to breweries where we got free drink. We also recalled that on a night out, those of us who did not smoke could afford 2 pints more than those who did. The point I am making is that what limited our drinking was cost and availability. We could afford maybe one session per week but we also only drank in pubs where if you got drunk you were cut off. Interestingly, off sales were more expensive than pub prices.
Like discussions on teaching, most of us can remember early drinking habits and certainly, the cost of drink is a very practical deterrent.

borntorum

I'd post a considered reply to your post but I've a bottle of wine to get through

Mattarigna

I'd say take a look at the continent, where there are far less restrictions on where and when alcohol can be bought and consumed. Alcohol consumption there is more "normalised" as a responsible activity, it's availability lessening the chances of binge drinking, and not increasing them.
Maybe, but in this case, there is a cultural difference in Ireland that makes comparisons with other European countries useless. Many people in Ireland cannot help over-drinking when the opportunity is available. If you don't realise that, you seriously don't know this country.

Mattarigna

You couldn't have chosen a better time to start this thread....and prove a point. It's Friday night and, if it were possible to breathalyse posters over the internet and prevent those who were pished from posting , you'd get about three (sober) replies......
Oh, jaysus..............

nonpartyboy

Would you rather having the government spending a small amount of money to deal with the causes of excessive drinking, or do you prefer having it spend billions on dealing with it's consequences?
Yea lets ban drink and smoking and instead they can spend billions keeping us all in nursing homes...............

Popular Threads

Most Replies