Ireland's finance minister Brian Lenihan ridiculed by City investors - Telegrap

clytaemnestra

This in the Daily Telegraph:

"The call with Brian Lenihan and hundreds of investors rapidly descended into farce, forcing Citigroup, which staged the event, to pull the plug...

Between 200 and 500 investors are understood to have been on the call, and as they realised their lines were not muted many began to heckle Mr Lenihan.

Some traders began making what one banker on the call described as "chimp sounds", while another cried out "dive, dive". A third man said "short Ireland" before adding "why not short Citi too?"

As the call descended into chaos, with one participant heard to say "this is the worst conference call ever", Citigroup officials shut down the line."

Ireland's finance minister Brian Lenihan ridiculed by City investors - Telegraph

He3

Citi was at fault and fixed it so he could continue

Host Philip Brown, head of public sector debt at Citigroup, restarted the call 20 minutes later, allowing Mr Lenihan to make his address, before answering investors' questions.

but ...

spidermom

the_rebubblican

Lenihan has been blowing smoke out his ass since the crisis. It seems for all his gaseous proclamations we've had the benefit of a national catalytic converter but I guess it doesn't work overseas. Maybe with the "clear blue water" he had hoped for with the guarantee he thought he had the the sharks of the markets conned as well. He's been nobbled. Bluffing time is over, we have 3 months to sort out the markets...tops.

rubensni

Ridiculed my ass. If they knew they could be heard those coked up morons would be shouting down the phone whomever was at the other end every day of the week.

Boy M5

I think the real monkeys were the ones making the chimp noises & the asinine comments, as someone who has participated in & hosted calls in the international capital markets "as any fule nose" one pushes the mute button if one wants to talk.

These characters sound junior & moreover stupid. Their employers are paying for them to listen to Brian Og & to base sound judgements on what he says. Not to act the goat.

I also point to my earlier post though about those seeking to undermine Ireland as part of a trading strategy placing stories in a sympathetic rag*. the Torygraph is certainly a rag, is it susceptible to having stories planted in it?

*Pace the John Veals character in Sebastian Faulks "excellent week in December"

SirCharles

Who gives a f**k what that Telegraph writes. Lenihan has ridiculed himself already. He's still trying to tell us that letting the banks fail would have been much worse. Want to know what situation he thinks we already are.

Here an article from Conor McCabe of Dublin Opinion, This is not the final bill - Things are going to get worse

BS the situation would have been much worse if we hadn't "taken action". The story will continue for at least the next decade.

SirCharles

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Hilarious. Hope some investor recorded it.

Irelands Call

This was enough to make me join.

Who do these people think they are showing this level of disrespect. Brian Lenihan is without question the best finance minister we or our european counterparts have seen in many a year and is steering Ireland through what is the toughest time in world financial history. Let history judge him.

Cael

Chimp Lenihan...sums him up.

Cael

Who do these people think they are showing this level of disrespect. Brian Lenihan is without question the best finance minister we or our european counterparts have seen in many a year and is steering Ireland through what is the toughest time in world financial history. Let history judge him.
History has already judged him - and found him to be a chimp chump.

Cael

SirCharles

They have already made too much "history". They are doing anything possible that their successors will fail in the same way they have been doing. It's a kind of 'long term strategy' of Fianna Fail, and the "Greens" are only sitting there and nod everything through.

Maximus Cynicus

Welcome, Brian, good of you to drop in

Aristodemus

A non-story

Cael

A non-story
Quite an important story really. This chimp has been telling the Irish people that we have to make all sorts of sacrifices to "impress the markets," but, now we see how impressed they are with Lenihan and the slavish Irish.

Irelands Call

Did Fianna Fail cause the Lehman's collaspe or that of Northern Rock,Iceland,Freddie Mac or anything else? I think you will find this is a global problem which we all have to ride out. We can't all be winners all the time, times will be tough but this country has been through tough before and come out the other end as it will now. Nobody asked anyone to buy houses or take loans they could not afford.

Most Replies