Ireland's gay history

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Interesting Irish Times article

Gay community recalls dark days before decriminalisation
In 1930, the then Garda commissioner Eoin O’Duffy told a Dáil committee there were 86 prosecutions for homosexual offences for 1928/29 and that homosexual activity “is a form of depravity that is spreading with malign vigour”.
Generalissimo O'Duffy was of course gay and alcoholic ... so no different to what is brushed under the carpet in the current Dáil

And sometimes huge damage was done
This was the case in the remarkable 1969 prosecution of 20 men for gross indecency in Tullow, Co Carlow. ...Although there were no jail sentences, the case effectively ruined the lives of some of the men, especially those who were married.
It is scary to think about ... as Ireland in those days ... was close to Taliban Afghanistan ... though instead of violence ... shame etc was used to enforce the backwardness

Any anecdotes ?

cyp

Brenny

Generalissimo O'Duffy was of course gay and alcoholic ... so no different to what is brushed under the carpet in the current Dáil

It is scary to think about ... as Ireland in those days ... was close to Taliban Afghanistan ... though instead of violence ... shame etc was used to enforce the backwardness

Any anecdotes ?

cyp
Much of Europe in those days was like that, don't forget what the Brits did to Alan Turing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labouchere_Amendment

Alan Alda

[video=youtube;pCwFuURQqR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCwFuURQqR4[/video]

[video=youtube;qZ6QFpHN-rg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ6QFpHN-rg[/video]

Truth.ie

Any anecdotes ?

cyp
So when was the last recorded case of someone being jailed in Ireland for being a gay?
The 80's? The 50's? The 30's?
Maybe the 1800s?
Comparing Ireland in the 60's to Afganistan under the Taliban?? And it goes unchallenged??
What a crock,

Alan Alda

So when was the last recorded case of someone being jailed in Ireland for being a gay?
The 80's? The 50's? The 30's?
Maybe the 1800s?
Comparing Ireland in the 60's to Afganistan under the Taliban?? And it goes unchallenged??
What a crock,
I suppose its about context and such. Chill out hombre. When did Afghanistan come in to this equation ?:|
Is your point along the lines of 'as long as we arent lynching them' train of thought?:shock2:
Probably not as reasonable a point as you think it is ,at this hour ,in your condition and such.
My condition aint too great , but at least i am aware of that fact, so it mustnt be so bad.
Anyhoo goodnight and fuick you!
(in a friendly , mildly demented fashion)

Last edited:

GDPR

Unfortunately, the Gaystapo are proving why it is necessary for society to put some control on certain homosexuals. They don't stop at asking for toleration. The minute they get toleration, they go about remodeling society according to their own sterile pathology. As we see today, the result is demographic and social collapse. Needless to say, noble patriots like Roger Casement were nothing like this.

Truth.ie

I suppose its about context and such. Chill out hombre. When did Afghanistan come in to this equation ?:|
Is your point along the lines of 'as long as we arent lynching them' train of thought?:shock2:
Probably not as reasonable a point as you think it is ,at this hour ,in your condition and such.
My condition aint too great , but at least i am aware of that fact, so it mustnt be so bad.
Anyhoo goodnight and fuick you!
(in a friendly , mildly demented fashion)
The OP compared Ireland before the decriminalisation of sodomy, to Taliban controlled Afghanistan.
Sick of this revisionist nonsense.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Boredom? Much more likely to have been the fervent mindset at the time of the gayness-hunters.

Bit like witch-trials except adapted for the valley of the squinting windows Ireland. There would have been a fear of the 1960s virus spreading into Ireland as well among the old establishment redoubts of the garda, the teacher, the lawyer and the priest and so on.

Bear in mind even in 2016 we have people on this forum who think that gay people are intent on spreading the gayness as if it could be promoted and completely ignoring the quite old news now that being gay is a sexual orientation and not an airborne virus.

Felixness

It's important to remember that gays weren't the only oppressed people in Ireland in those days. The Church had a stranglehold on the country, people kept their heads down, which is why they got away with so much for so long. Most of the country voted for SSM because we believe in equality for LGBT people. But I gotta be honest, I'm sick and bloody tired of having elements of the LGBT community trying to force their rights ahead of everyone elses.

All the nonsense pushing transgender issues that only affect about 1% of the worlds population but which we're being told is more important than the rights of females who were actually born female. Sick of being told that it's wrong for women to feel that it's unacceptable to oppose men who ''identify'' as women to use female facilities. The way things are going the LGBT community worldwide risks losing the support they've worked so hard to find in the wider community.

stopdoingstuff

Ironically the safest career for gay people back then was probably the priesthood.

Boy M5

I suspect a number of well beloved entertainers of yore were or are gay.
There was a thread about a late lamented one a few days back.
Yet I remember Donal (RIP) & I were disagreed with when we pointed out this icon of middle Ireland should in reality have been a gay icon.

Others are still with us but like a film star in a seldom seen episode of Southpark - they are very firmly in the closet.

So maybe life in the past and now isn't so different.

SEAMAI

Much of Europe in those days was like that, don't forget what the Brits did to Alan Turing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labouchere_Amendment
Long after the laws in Britain changed in the 60's many gay people felt the need to stay in the closet. Gay entertainers who were camp as Christmas were ten a penny but almost none of them were out. It was well into the 80's or even later before attitudes among the general public relaxed.

RodShaft

Any anecdotes ?

cyp
I'm sure Alan Turing would think this was a mainly Irish problem too.

Edit: I see I've been beaten to the punch.

Last edited:

Roll_On

A whopping 20 lads arrested all at once? in Tullow? was there a party?

Truth.ie

I suspect a number of well beloved entertainers of yore were or are gay.
There was a thread about a late lamented one a few days back.
Yet I remember Donal (RIP) & I were disagreed with when we pointed out this icon of middle Ireland should in reality have been a gay icon.

Others are still with us but like a film star in a seldom seen episode of Southpark - they are very firmly in the closet.

So maybe life in the past and now isn't so different.
500 punts was crazy money in 68.
Joe Dolan placed this ad in 1968 offering a reward for information on rumours about him

I remember these rumours about Joe in the 80's and to be honest nobody cared. He still packed the halls (not gay innuendo pr pun).

It might not have been hip to be gay as it is today, but it wasn't exactly pitchforks and torches either.

New Threads

Most Replies