Ireland's Greatest Ever Sportsperson

The_SR

Following on from another thread. Who is It?

To me you need to have either won medals at the top of your sport (Olympics, world championships, masters, tours etc) or consistently played at the top with a few medals along the way.

In no particular order I propose a list.

Liam Brady
Johnny Giles
Damien Duff
Robbie Keane
Roy Keane
George Best
Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Stepanie Roche
Stephen Roche
Sean Kelly
Sonia O'Sullivan
Analise Murphy
Ronnie Delaney
Michael Carruth
Barry McGuigan
Jimmy McLarnin
Bernard Dunne
Rory McElroy
Padraig Harrington
Christy O'Connor snr
Christy O'Connor jr
Pat Eddery
Ruby Walsh
Eddie Irvine

Personally Liam Brady. 2 serie a titles when it was the dominant league with a 2 foreign player rule is unmatched for me.

Betson

To me you need to have either won medals at the top of your sport (Olympics, world championships, masters, tours etc) or consistently played at the top with a few medals along the way.

Liam Brady
Johnny Giles
Damien Duff
Robbie Keane
Roy Keane
George Best
Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Stepanie Roche
Stephen Roche
Sean Kelly
Sonia O'Sullivan
Analise Murphy
Ronnie Delaney
Michael Carruth
Barry McGuigan
Jimmy McLarnin
Bernard Dunne
Rory McElroy
Padraig Harrington
Christy O'Connor snr
Christy O'Connor jr
Pat Eddery
Ruby Walsh
Eddie Irvine

Personally Liam Brady. 2 serie a titles when it was the dominant league with a 2 foreign player rule is unmatched for me.
You have Stephanie Roche in the list for scoring a goal? what is the criteria to be on the list?

GDPR

Liam Brady
Johnny Giles
Damien Duff
Robbie Keane
Roy Keane
George Best
Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Stepanie Roche
Stephen Roche
Sean Kelly
Sonia O'Sullivan
Analise Murphy
Ronnie Delaney
Michael Carruth
Barry McGuigan
Jimmy McLarnin
Bernard Dunne
Rory McElroy
Padraig Harrington
Christy O'Connor snr
Christy O'Connor jr
Pat Eddery
Ruby Walsh
Eddie Irvine

One who was at the same time our very best and one of the worst, the boy Roy.

The_SR

Why no GAA players on that list.
I can't think of any who achieved the criteria. The list mostly contains those who achieved domestically and internationally.

Last edited:

The_SR

You have Stephanie Roche in the list for scoring a goal? what is the criteria to be on the list?
She also played in France, England and the US and was the star player in the first Irish team to make the Champions League.

eoghanacht

Vincent O'Brien.

eoghanacht

Steve Collins deserves a mention.

razorblade

I can't think of any who achieved the criteria. The list mostly contains those who achieved domestically and internationally.
Then the likes of Henry Shefflen should be on it considering all he achieved domestically for his county, this is a list of Irish sporting greats not world sporting greats.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com

Liam Brady
Johnny Giles
Damien Duff
Robbie Keane
Roy Keane
George Best
Brian O'Driscoll
Paul O'Connell
Stepanie Roche
Stephen Roche
Sean Kelly
Sonia O'Sullivan
Analise Murphy
Ronnie Delaney
Michael Carruth
Barry McGuigan
Jimmy McLarnin
Bernard Dunne
Rory McElroy
Padraig Harrington
Christy O'Connor snr
Christy O'Connor jr
Pat Eddery
Ruby Walsh
Eddie Irvine

You forgot easily the most famous Irish man in sport at the moment, Conor McGregor :) But what else would we expect from a fairy ball fan, MMA would be too rough for the pansy's to watch.

For me, world record Isle of Man TT champion Joey Dunlop would have to be in contention instead of most of the fairy's from soccer mentioned -

[video=youtube;t-VEc5EV-TY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-VEc5EV-TY[/video]

The_SR

Then the likes of Henry Shefflen should be on it considering all he achieved domestically for his county, this is a list of Irish sporting greats not world sporting greats.
But what has he achieved that 100 amateur footballers or rugby players havent achieved? He was the best in an amateur sport that a liberal estimate of 25,000 people play that we cant compare internationally.

The_SR

You forgot easily the most famous Irish man in sport at the moment, Conor McGregor :) But what else would we expect from a fairy ball fan, MMA would be too rough for the pansy's to watch.

For me, world record Isle of Man TT champion Joey Dunlop would have to be in contention instead of most of the fairy's from soccer mentioned -

[video=youtube;t-VEc5EV-TY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-VEc5EV-TY[/video]
Its fairies. You can't even be homophobic right.

Thanks for your input. Quality as always.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
The Gaelic players played the Australians in the compromise rules. Liam Brady was a handy Gaelic player, unfortunately got too involved in fairy ball.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Its fairies. You can't even be homophobic right.

Thanks for your input. Quality as always.
Well your obviously well acquainted with them then so, bet you like to drop the bar of soap in front of the boyz eh :lol:

[video=youtube;Y0weScN9hoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0weScN9hoU[/video]

The_SR

The Gaelic players played the Australians in the compromise rules. Liam Brady was a handy Gaelic player, unfortunately got too involved in fairy ball.
And got physically destroyed. Only rule changes kept it competitive.

Unfortunately for the millionaire who got to play at the very top and is a hero at two of the world's biggest sports clubs.

Try harder.

New Threads

Most Replies