Ireland's morbidly obese Public Sector Fat Cats - The Guardian

FionnMc

Ireland's 'morbidly obese cats' and runaway public sector pay | Business | guardian.co.uk

The UK's highest paid public sector worker gets paid £259,999.
Ireland's highest paid public sector worker gets paid €752,568. :eek:

Perhaps Lendahand should give Osborne a call to see how he manages to get away with paying them such "low" wages.

When the figures are presented like that it's very hard to justify the wages of the elite in the public sector.

borntorum

Strong stuff from The Guardian, the paper of the public sector. Frankly, if I was British I'd be pissed off that my government was giving a massive loan to a country with such higher public sector salaries and social welfare payments

Halo

The average salary at the ESB is €70,000!¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spotty

But but but but but but but but but but croke park.

Halo

Mark middleton, the managing director of royal mail gets 154,999 stg per annum.

Donal connel chief executive of an post - 423,097.31 stg per annum.

Thanks fianna fail

slx

I'm not entirely sure why the article made reference to Eircom as if they're a public sector entity, as they're actually a private company.

However, the ESB, BGE etc are protected semi-states and should either be thrown to the full force of competition, or sold off.

While they're not a direct draw on the exchequer those high salaries are being paid by consumers when we should be trying to get costs down.

Some aspects of the civil and public service are efficient, and to be fair, most of the lower paid workers are actually the people doing most of the work.

The problem is that there's a layer of middle and upper management that is just paid WAY too much for what they do.

Also, benchmarking appears to have been a one-way street for these people. It was all fine when private sector wages were going up, but there's no notion of them taking pay reductions to retain benchmarking with the private sector. However, they're quite happy to inflict pay cuts on the lowest paid workers in their organisation or to cease public services like hospital wards etc to reduce costs rather than introduce efficiencies at the middle and upper end of their pay scales.

I'm also sick of the upper echelons of the public service using lower paid public servants as a human shield. They always opt to cut frontline services, cut nurses wages, or do something that makes the Government look bad and creates as much negative publicity as possible when they are instructed to trim the fat.

Someone or some agency needs to go in and just slash and burn the middle management and upper management in a whole range of public service organisations. They are too fat, too lazy and highly manipulative.

We also need to differentiate between frontline staff and wasters.

This isn't public vs private sectors, it's much like the mentality that goes on in the Financial services sector and other bloated self-serving industries in the private sector i.e. middle management and upper management are paid way way too much.

We need to present a united front on this, not just bash the public sector in general, but rather there needs to be a targeted campaign against the fat cats who are determined to keep all the cream, even if it destroys the public service and collapses the country.

I don't care if they're bankers, doctors or senior public servants, they need to get real!

Last edited:

Rebel CNC

All i can say is Wow.

And its the Guardian.
Indeed - Bertie's Benchmarking must really have gotten out of hand when we manage to stoke the ire of the advocates of councils employing "Diversity Awareness Officers" and "LGBT community outreach workers"!!

ellie08

grafter1

I'm not entirely sure why the article made reference to Eircom as if they're a public sector entity, as they're actually a private company.

Well Eircom were privatized but they're still run by the unions. Management in their can't fart without approval from the unions.

You can blame privatization for its massive failures (not saying you are) but those who use Eircom as an example of a failure of privatization is ludicrous.

Anyway the article really is a damning report on Ireland.

They're basically stealing tax payers money

And they want us all to pay more tax, property tax, water taxes etc etc to keep these fatcats going.

Spending problems should really be addressed by cutting spending not raising taxes.......but you're a right wing loon if you say that in Ireland

We have gotten everything we deserve from s***e bankers to sh**e government to bankruptcy

slx

The problem is that senior public service managements don't implement efficiencies when they are presented with a tighter budget, they hive off all the resources to protect the core of the organisation and slash and burn real services costing jobs and actually putting people's lives at risk in the case of the HSE.

I sincerely believe that they slash public services first to create a negative press and public reaction so that the "evil Government" looks bad, rather than just implementing cost saving efficiencies starting at the top and working down.

If you cut the HSE budget, the core bureaucracy stays and they close wards and fire nurses and doctors. If you cut welfare's budget, they get rid of local office staff and clerical workers and suddenly claims take decades to process. If you cut education's budget, they increase class sizes first.

I think we have to accept that the public service management is incapable of reform and that we will just have to force reform on them from outside. They're similar to senior bankers i.e. have an entitlement mentality and seem to think that they somehow deserve our money for doing a really bad job in most cases.

Maybe frontline public servants need to actually go on strike against their own management.

Expatriot

This has nothing to do with PS vs Private sector, it is about the elite vs the rest. The guys on 500k pushing nurses and teachers to the front of the battle field wont work I am afraid. The lower and middle ranks of PAYE worker are being shafted by the guys running the show.

Ask Not

Well Eircom were privatized but they're still run by the unions. Management in their can't fart without approval from the unions.

You can blame privatization for its massive failures (not saying you are) but those who use Eircom as an example of a failure of privatization is ludicrous.

We have gotten everything we deserve from s***e bankers to sh**e government to bankruptcy

Wrong, wrong, and right.

Barnacle

And when you factor in their bonuses and cost of their pensions, the gap is even wider. Three times higher salary, three times higher the cost of the pension.

Remember Michael Somers, salary of about €500k but his bonuses took this to nearly €1m excluding the cost of his pension.

slx

The question is how or who will deal with these fat cats?

The IMF and ECB will just implement budget targets which will result in service slashing rather than real reform i.e. instead of a big inefficient, expensive organisation which actually provides public services, we'll just have a small inefficient expensive organistion which doesn't.

We need real reform to prevent drastic deterioration of our public servants and we should accept nothing less.

Old Irish

You know if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!
I think you are being sarcastic and you don't really believe this you are just saying it because that is what the Public Sector fat cats say when they are questioned about their pay.

And yes we have the highest paid monkeys in the world!!!

There are so many question about this but one of my first ones would be how can the head of the NHS get paid less than that of the head of the HSE??? The HSE is a complete mess and joke!! It really beggars belief!!:-(

gayguy2000

Morbidly obese cats

Unbelievable figures here

Ireland's 'morbidly obese cats' and runaway public sector pay | Business | guardian.co.uk

Some Irish v UK Salaries

UK: Prime minister David Cameron - £142,500.
Ireland: Taoiseach Brian Cowen - €228,446 (£193,250.01)
Who's on top? Ireland

UK: NHS chief executive David Nicolson - £255,000
Ireland: HSE chief executive Cathal Magee – salary of €322,000 (£272,390.43)
Who's on top? Ireland

Department of finance
UK: Treasury permanent secretary, Sir Nicholas Macpherson £175,000
Ireland: Department of finance's secretary general, Kevin Cardiff €228,446 (£193,250.01)
Who's on top? Ireland

An Post
UK: Royal Mail managing director Mark Middleton £154,999
Ireland: An Post chief executive Donal Connell €500,000 (£423,097.31)
Who's on top? Ireland

Top 10 earners in the Irish public sector (state and semi-state)

1. Head of ESB: €752,568
2. Head of Dublin Airport Authority: €568,100
3. Head of An Post: €500,000
4. Head of Coillte, the forestry commission €417,000
5. Head of Voluntary Health Insurance: €412,003
6. Head of Bord Gais: €394,000
7. Head of Bord na Mona (turf energy agency): €392,000
8. Head of RTE: (TV): €326,000
9. Head of CIE (transport): €252,416
10. Head of Health Services Executive: €335,913

Rebel CNC

Someone or some agency needs to go in and just slash and burn the middle management and upper management in a whole range of public service organisations. They are too fat, too lazy and highly manipulative.

You're spot on with first point - whole layers of fat could be trimmed here with no effect whatsoever on service to the public.

However, your second point would tend to suggest that there are no wasters among front line staff.
Waste is waste, whether it be the ex Regional Health Board Executive holding down a comfy sincure in the HSE or the idle nurse, drifting around nurses' station, letting his/her colleagues carry the workload and also taking full advantage of generous sick pay entitlements.

Despite the myth being still strong, not ALL nurses are devoted angels of mercy with no selfish concerns of their own.

Waste is also ambulance driver or paramedic, entitled to two hours overtime alowance if emergency call means they are not back in base until 10 minutes past end of their shift.

Also, the cushty "in service days" scam that allows teachers take time off outside of normal holiday entitlement is pure waste.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies