• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland's National Concert Hall: a damp squib?

The Field Marshal

National Concert Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Looking through the 2013 schedule for this state sponsored enterprise there is little to capture the imagination. For years irish people hollered for a nch now having got one it has failed utterly to impress itself either upon it's own city or abroad as a venue of any importence whatever. Is it it time to close down this cultural loss maker and embarassment?

drummed

It was never going to live up to your lofty standards anyway. Not much does.
Yeah close it down cause you don't like it......................

bob3367

National Concert Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Looking through the 2013 schedule for this state sponsored enterprise there is little to capture the imagination. For years irish people hollered for a nch now having got one it has failed utterly to impress itself either upon it's own city or abroad as a venue of any importence whatever. Is it it time to close down this cultural loss maker and embarassment?
Only an idiot would post the above, or an idiot that who never enjoyed a night there.

Its all about taste my dear boy, something you clearly lack.

D

Deleted member 17573

Where's the 2013 Schedule - or do we not need to see it, you having adjudicated on it on our behalf?

The Field Marshal

It was never going to live up to your lofty standards anyway. Not much does.
Yeah close it down cause you don't like it......................
Well the problem is the dreary schedhules and inability to attract top performers? That is a management issue that has persisted for years and questions need to be asked why is it so? I'm all for a National Concert Hall that could be a real cultural icon for the city alas that is very far from what we currently have.

drummed

Well the problem is the dreary schedhules and inability to attract top performers? That is a management issue that has persisted for years and questions need to be asked why is it so? I'm all for a National Concert Hall that could be a real cultural icon for the city alas that is very far from what we currently have.

In your opinion. Others appear to disagree. Who to beleive?

FakeViking

Field Mouse, did the ushers refused to allow you to bring your pint of lager into the hall after the interval? (in the unlikely event you even know where it is)

The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

Looking at the schedule for the next couple of months, the ratio of populist tat to real music is pretty high!
Serious state money is poured into the NCH every year yet no international classical music artiste of renown seems to want to go there.

gerhard dengler

What would you wish to see staged at the NCH instead, FM?

It seems to me that the NCH is staging what it is supposed to.

FakeViking

Serious state money is poured into the NCH every year yet no international classical music artiste of renown seems to want to go there.
Anyone who was lucky enough to hear Gustavo Dudamel's assistant conducting Shostakovich No 10 (entirely from memory) a few weeks ago will just laugh at your utter ignorance.

The Field Marshal

What would you wish to see staged at the NCH instead, FM?

It seems to me that the NCH is staging what it is supposed to.
There are many acclaimed international classical music singers and performers. Im not going to single out any specific one merely to say that the NCH in Dublin has not succeeded in bringing these people to the city. The policy seems to be that it's just a local singing/ playing shop to promote the native skills of all and any type regardless.

bob3367

Fck me this is hillarious...

MacO'velli

Ah jaysis Field Marshall, ya must have just missed Brent Pope in concert there recently, and Trappattoni's translator Manuela played the cello there some time ago as well!!

The Field Marshal

Only an idiot would post the above, or an idiot that who never enjoyed a night there.

Its all about taste my dear boy, something you clearly lack.
Only a true idiot would try pretend that the NCH has succeeded much in advancing Irelands cultural reputation. Fwiw I have attended events there some of which were pleasurable but only at the most superficial of levels. Indeed only a philistine like you could think that art should always bring enjoyment

bob3367

Only a true idiot would try pretend that the NCH has succeeded much in advancing Irelands cultural reputation. Fwiw I have attended events there some of which were pleasurable but only at the most superficial of levels. Indeed only a philistines like you could think that art should always bring enjoyment
Oh piss off you uneducated piece of human waste.

You are a laughing stock.

FakeViking

Only a true idiot would try pretend that the NCH has succeeded much in advancing Irelands cultural reputation. Fwiw I have attended events there some of which were pleasurable but only at the most superficial of levels. Indeed only a philistine like you could think that art should always bring enjoyment
I'm more a second Viennese school follower, but even I am looking forward to attending the New Year's Day concert. And it'll be even better in the knowledge that you won't be there. And coming up we can look forward to some Mahler. That's music for those of us who appreciate it, why don't you stick with your Andre Rieu DVD's?