Ireland's negotiating team versus EU/IMF?

SkatesOn

Labour finance spokeswoman Joan Burton asked Mr Lenihan who was leading the Irish negotiating team. He replied: “I am in charge of these negotiations.” He continued: “I am not participating in the conduct of the discussions because they are of a technical nature”. He said those involved were Department of Finance officials, assisted “by officials from the National Treasury Management Agency who are subject to my direction”.
Source: Lenihan defends reticence to tell public about talks - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 19, 2010

What it boils down is negotiating the bailout loan: amount, term & interest rate. I believe we have huge bargaining power with the EU - if Ireland defaults, the Euro project is over.
The old saying that if you owe the bank a thousand then you are in trouble, if you owe the bank a million, then they are in trouble. In this case we owe the "bank" about 100 billion, so who's in trouble us or them?

Frankly Lenihan doesn't have the skills required to negoiate a deal with the EU/IMF (remember that little deal he brokered with the banks on Sept 29th 2008?).

I think we should be bringing in serious negotiators here - the likes of Mick O'Leary come to mind - ballsy, aggressive & hugely experienced, but not sure if he would be available...

Who do you think should be on our team?
(serious answers only - which also excludes anyone who is dead.)

He3

Senior hurling on the ditch.

Bobert

How about we actually get names of just who *is* on the team?

MPB

Source: Lenihan defends reticence to tell public about talks - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 19, 2010

What it boils down is negotiating the bailout loan: amount, term & interest rate. I believe we have huge bargaining power with the EU - if Ireland defaults, the Euro project is over.
The old saying that if you owe the bank a thousand then you are in trouble, if you owe the bank a million, then they are in trouble. In this case we owe the "bank" about 100 billion, so who's in trouble us or them?

Frankly Lenihan doesn't have the skills required to negoiate a deal with the EU/IMF (remember that little deal he brokered with the banks on Sept 29th 2008?).

I think we should be bringing in serious negotiators here - the likes of Mick O'Leary come to mind - ballsy, aggressive & hugely experienced, but not sure if he would be available...

Who do you think should be on our team?
(serious answers only - which also excludes anyone who is dead.)
We do not owe anybody anything.

If the IMF and the ECB are worried about the European and Worlds Banking system, let them pay for it.

We have enough debts of our own, thank you very much.

Expose the lot of them

Some of the old real trade unionists from the pre-partnership days, those guys were skilled negotiators answerable to their membership and living on the same wages as their members. Those that are still around have nothing but contempt for the current leadership, with the bloated salaries and expenses and noses in the trough alongside their buddies in IBEC.

Get some them into a smokey room with the IMF/ECB gang and see what comes out.

Holy Cow

We do not owe anybody anything.

If the IMF and the ECB are worried about the European and Worlds Banking system, let them pay for it.

We have enough debts of our own, thank you very much.
Give them Seanie, Fingers, Ahern and the rest of the gangsters and tell them sod off and leave the people of Ireland alone.

MPB

You have 2 contradictory statements there.
Only if you are looking for a contradiction, but just to explain.

We have our own personal debt burden. We are meeting those debt obligations and those who are not, are losing their assets.

The developers had their debts taken into State care and we are also meeting those debt obligations through increased taxes, job cuts and wage reduction. They are internal Irish debts.

We have no obligation to fund the bad investment decisions of German, French and British Banks. If the IMF and the ECB see a problem with those Banks and believe they are systemic to the Worlds Banking system, let them pay for it.

As I said in the first paragraph we have enough problems of our own to sort out, without sorting out Germany, France or Britains.

mido

a man in balaclava from west belfast-ah no the don't do that anymore

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies