Ireland's problems are easy to fix...accountability!!!

Disillusioned democrat

When you look across everything that's wrong with Ireland, every sensational event on Prime Time, etc., the one think that keeps recurring is "lack of accountability" - there's no sanction, no consequences and no fear.

In the most recent one - crap rental accommodation the radio this morning had someone on from the council saying they have to announce visits by inspectors and landlords get multiple chances to fix the places initially but even failing that no one has ever lost their assets, liberty or good name.

It's the same in the Gardai, in the banks, in the Civil Service - there's no accountability so there's no real incentive to ever change.

The laws are all there - even this morning someone was on looking to legislate against cheap drink because kids were getting alcohol - missing the irony completely that if they enforced the current "selling drink to minors" laws that there would be a problem.

We're always looking for new fixes where the answer is enforcement and accountability - consequences and a real example to the next guy thinking of insider dealing, being a slumlord, falsifying a breath test, etc.

Imagine - a cost free solution to 80% of our problems that over 5 years could really turn things around.

enuffisenuff

The benchmark was set with "I won the sterling on a horse"..now its a free for all..except for Joe Soap

HarshBuzz

It's a huge component of 'easy fix' but it could not ever be easy. It would be monumentally hard. And here's why:

Unions. They would fight this tooth and nail.

ellie08

The benchmark was set with "I won the sterling on a horse"..now its a free for all..except for Joe Soap
Ms Murtagh was shown a spreadsheet of 1,000 different permutations of exchange rates at which her currency services division would have purchased the sum equivalent to over IR£28,000 lodged by Celia Larkin.

None would allow for a conversion of Stg£30,000 but one special remit rate would allow for $45,000.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0727/91774-mahon/

Spurius P Albus

It's a huge component of 'easy fix' but it could not ever be easy. It would be monumentally hard. And here's why:

Totally agree.
Anything that might oblige people to do the jobs they are paid for is opposed -
individual goals , performance appraisal , accountability .
Hire more and pay more is their answer to everything .

GDPR

I know I shouldn't laugh, but he actually got away with it.

Accountability though, I seem to remember the poster Hollandia, starting a very good thread last monday/ tuesday. The accountability theme was ever present, combined with our authorities lack of long term planning on all things from heath services to transport.

Disillusioned democrat

I know I shouldn't laugh, but he actually got away with it.

Accountability though, I seem to remember the poster Hollandia, starting a very good thread last monday/ tuesday. The accountability theme was ever present, combined with our authorities lack of long term planning on all things from heath services to transport.
THAT's the problem - people do laugh, but it's deadly serious and has made this country bob along the bottom for decades. Ahern got away with it, Sean Fitzpatrick got away with it, as did the Shredinator who made it possible, Noirin O'Sullivan got away with it...basically we continually reward failure and there's no consequences.

The Dep of Justice (AFAIR) wasted €10m on rent and the lad/lass who signed that off "got away with it".

All we need is for some real leader to break the cycle - make someone pay the price (the laws are there, they just never get used) and create a virtuous cycle where a few examples of people being held accountable encourages others to be more diligent, honest, competent.

HarshBuzz

THAT's the problem - people do laugh, but it's deadly serious and has made this country bob along the bottom for decades. Ahern got away with it, Sean Fitzpatrick got away with it, as did the Shredinator who made it possible, Noirin O'Sullivan got away with it...basically we continually reward failure and there's no consequences.

The Dep of Justice (AFAIR) wasted €10m on rent and the lad/lass who signed that off "got away with it".

All we need is for some real leader to break the cycle - make someone pay the price (the laws are there, they just never get used) and create a virtuous cycle where a few examples of people being held accountable encourages others to be more diligent, honest, competent.
The unions won't wear it. That's the political reality.

My wife is a manager in the PS. I'm a manager in the private sector.
She was moaning the other night about all the year end tasks she had to do - budgeting being one of the main ones. I agreed and said that doing performance ratings for staff was the worst part of it for me.

She looked at me like I had ten heads. The notion of grading staff in their performance throughout the year (and linking this to pay, bonus and promotion) was completely alien to her. I explained it.

Her reaction: "the unions would shoot that down in ten seconds".

Disillusioned democrat

She was moaning the other night about all the year end tasks she had to do - budgeting being one of the main ones. I agreed and said that doing performance ratings for staff was the worst part of it for me.

She looked at me like I had ten heads. The notion of grading staff in their performance throughout the year (and linking this to pay, bonus and promotion) was completely alien to her. I explained it.

The day of the unions is over and any political party interested in setting this right would have very little difficulty in dealing with the - especially with Labour on its knees and not likely to recover.

With €5m to spend on spin Varadkar would have no problem undermining the unions' position on anything other than breaches of employment law.

The problem isn't the unions, it's fear f whistle blowing if the cosy back scratching arrangement between civil servants and politicians were to come to an end.

Spanner Island

Been saying it for years... innit :cool:

"If we had real transparency, real accountability and real consequences for crooks and the corrupt in Ireland a lot of our problems wouldn't exist in the first place."

The fixes aren't difficult to recognise or implement as long as there's a will and a determination to do them.

But then we are in Ireland.

HarshBuzz

The day of the unions is over and any political party interested in setting this right would have very little difficulty in dealing with the - especially with Labour on its knees and not likely to recover..
Tell that to the 150,000 commuters impacted by the rail strike this week

shiel

The biggest calamity to hit this country since independence was the collapse in 2010.

I tried to get a discussion going on it but it was zooed.

The following was the thread.

I will probably be banned for bringing this lack of accountability up but it one of the biggest of the examples of the issue of lack of accountabilty mentioned in the OP.

The Credibility of Present day Media and Academia
Listening to the pontificating and sermonising on radio and tv programmes and reading newspapers and internet forums these days is just a turn off.

Many of the same people who are pontificating now were in media, political life and academia during the boom. They cheer led the boom time decisions which bankrupt the country and scoffed at anyone who raised questions.

The following are an example of quotes from the pre 2002 election budget coverage.

'Every day and in every way things are getting better and better'

'There is virtually no downside'

'Spending has risen 79% since 1997'

'Best and most responsible of budgets. Minister passed with flying colours'.

Given those sentiments expressed when decisions were being made which bankrupt the country has the present day media and academia any credibility in criticising the consequences of their own propaganda?

Man or Mouse

Been saying it for years... innit :cool:

"If we had real transparency, real accountability and real consequences for crooks and the corrupt in Ireland a lot of our problems wouldn't exist in the first place."

The fixes aren't difficult to recognise or implement as long as there's a will and a determination to do them.

But then we are in Ireland.
Those few words there are the real crux of the matter.

Eventually, everyone knows someone who knows a cousin of Dinny or Mick that got caught pulling a bit of a stroke like and, sure wouldn't you be a right bollix not to do an ould turn for a grand fella? He'll look after you at the next election, there's a street of votes in that family.

ellie08

they do have bonuses in the Public sector, and in most cases they are ridiculous. The only places there should be bonuses is in sales. You shouldn't get a bonus for doing your work well- - that's what the salary is for.

paulp

Don't think they'd object to accountability with slum landlords?

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
Don't think they'd object to accountability with slum landlords?
Indeed. "Why are you bothering me? Why aren't you out catching real criminals?"
Accountability is for others, not honest hard working folk like us.

im axeled

When you look across everything that's wrong with Ireland, every sensational event on Prime Time, etc., the one think that keeps recurring is "lack of accountability" - there's no sanction, no consequences and no fear.

In the most recent one - crap rental accommodation the radio this morning had someone on from the council saying they have to announce visits by inspectors and landlords get multiple chances to fix the places initially but even failing that no one has ever lost their assets, liberty or good name.

It's the same in the Gardai, in the banks, in the Civil Service - there's no accountability so there's no real incentive to ever change.

The laws are all there - even this morning someone was on looking to legislate against cheap drink because kids were getting alcohol - missing the irony completely that if they enforced the current "selling drink to minors" laws that there would be a problem.

We're always looking for new fixes where the answer is enforcement and accountability - consequences and a real example to the next guy thinking of insider dealing, being a slumlord, falsifying a breath test, etc.

Imagine - a cost free solution to 80% of our problems that over 5 years could really turn things around.
accountability does not sit easily sit on the shoulders of irelands politicians, movers and shakers, a definite not runner for at least three more elections

blokesbloke

To be fair TDs don't have unions and they never seem to be held accountable for anything.

I don't recall a union representing bankers either but they still seemed to be bailed out for their mistakes.

It's too simplistic to blame unions.

If the ruling classes want the ordinary working Patrick or Mary to start doing accountability they can set an example themselves first.

luggage

To be fair TDs don't have unions and they never seem to be held accountable for anything.

I don't recall a union representing bankers either but they still seemed to be bailed out for their mistakes.

It's too simplistic to blame unions.

If the ruling classes want the ordinary working Patrick or Mary to start doing accountability they can set an example themselves first.
I agree. I was reading through the thread and noticed a narrative building - it's all the Unions fault. And as Public Servants are the dominant employment group represented by Unions, ergo it is their fault.

Accountability starts at the top.

New Threads

Most Replies