Ireland's Response to the Virus

Beachcomber

Dame_Enda

Worldometers says that 39 are in serious/critical condition in Ireland.

A great fear I have is these infections of doctors and nurses, if it were to cause a depletion of medical staff, which could make matters worse for survival of patients.

Dame_Enda

Baron von Biffo

A great fear I have is these infections of doctors and nurses, if it were to cause a depletion of medical staff, which could make matters worse for survival of patients.
You seem to be spending your time trawling the net seeking out negative stories. That really can't be good for your mental well-being.

ruman

The reality is that there isn't an inexperienced health service in the world that can avoid panic and unsure consequences when something like this hits for the first time. Its human nature unfortunately and this is evidenced in the South Korean experience where a highly organised and technologically advanced country was only capable of managing the situation because of past experience.

Here is the question. How many people would have voted for a political party advocating a huge fund and detailed strategy was necessary to set aside to deal with a potential exponential pandemic of a killer virus? We all know the answer to that. Of course that maybe has changed now.
Correct but our health seevice is vastly inferior to the Italian one so many more will die as a result. This despite spending being above the OECD average.

The gross mismanagement and inefficincies in the Irish Health Service will be laid bare sadly. Responsibility for that resides with the department of health. Stating nothing could have been done and everyone has been affected while half true ignores the reality that mismanagement and poor resource allocation are also a factor and will now cost lives.

Last edited:

ruman

Given 26% of cases here are frontline staff it might be good for your health to avoid them !!
It seems clear that inadequate protection has been given to frontline staff.

The decision to ramp up testing without having properly identified those who should be tested was a bad error. It's resulted in a lack of prioritization in testing and caused lengthy delays in results for the most vulnerable and frontline staff. Resources are finite and need to be deployed effectively. A discussion around this point is long overdue.

We need our opposition to step up now and start asking questions about the approach we are taking. The current "all hail to the chief" approach from our subservient media and opposition parties is in nobodies interest.

Last edited:

Gwannow

Disturbing news from the HSE this morning.
40,000 patients who were suspected of having the coronavirus by their GP in the past week have been plunged into confusion after learning they will no longer be eligible for a test.
So it appears we were not prepared for this as we were led to believe by the government.
My god, and we will have to endure the same one again for 5 more years it seems.

fat finger

Only a few days ago, newspaper headlines were screaming that 15,000 people would get THE VIRUS here by end of March. The Taoiseach quickly parrotted those figures in his televised address. But it's already obvious the figures won't even come close to that. Are we seriously going to continue keeping the entire county shut down because a handful of elderly patients with existing lung conditions have just got the flu and might die??

Last edited:

ruman

Disturbing news from the HSE this morning.
40,000 patients who were suspected of having the coronavirus by their GP in the past week have been plunged into confusion after learning they will no longer be eligible for a test.
So it appears we were not prepared for this as we were led to believe by the government.
My god, and we will have to endure the same one again for 5 more years it seems.
This is like the free medical card where you have certain people constantly clogging up GP's with minor trivial issues meaning those who are actually sick cant get an appointment.

The DOH paramaters for testing have resulted in a huge backlog meaning the vulnerable and front line staff cant be tested quickly enough. When are the media and opposition going to start asking Holohan for an explanation ? These nightly press conferences are like something from an Orwell novel !! Where is the oversight ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Only a few days ago, newspaper headlines were screaming that 15,000 people would get THE VIRUS here by end of March. The Taoiseach quickly parrotted those figures in his televised address. But it's already obvious the figures won't even come close to that. Are we seriously going to continue keeping the entire county shut down because a handful of elderly patients with existing lung conditions have just got the flu and might die??
Give it an extra week or so, and we'll break 15,000.

Watcher2

Kudos to the department of health. Whether you agree with their decisions, at least they are working flat out it would seem. What about the Dept of Education? Whatever about the other classes, the Leaving Cert students are left hanging by the looks of things.

But looking at other classes and age groups (like my own kids) there is next to nothing and its only left up to the individual schools it would appear. My sixth class child has received no instruction from his teacher and the principal is next to useless.

Why are there no online classes?

Uganda

Kudos to the department of health. Whether you agree with their decisions, at least they are working flat out it would seem. What about the Dept of Education? Whatever about the other classes, the Leaving Cert students are left hanging by the looks of things.

But looking at other classes and age groups (like my own kids) there is next to nothing and its only left up to the individual schools it would appear. My sixth class child has received no instruction from his teacher and the principal is next to useless.

Why are there no online classes?
I think the whole education sector is ante-deluvian both in terms of practices and attitude

im doing a extra mural course in UCD - no exams no note taking, just a series of interesting lectures.

they emailed me to say course was suspended. For the life of me i dont know why the weekly lecture cant be done via any one of a myriad of e packages

i emailed them but needless to remark no reply

Watcher2

I think the whole education sector is ante-deluvian both in terms of practices and attitude

im doing a extra mural course in UCD - no exams no note taking, just a series of interesting lectures.

they emailed me to say course was suspended. For the life of me i dont know why the weekly lecture cant be done via any one of a myriad of e packages

i emailed them but needless to remark no reply
In other countries, even creches are open virtually. So much for our "smart economy".

RasherHash

The vast majority of Covid-19 fatalities, 99 percent according to Italian research, have had a pre-morbidity, if not two or three. These are underlying health issues,like heart disease, cancer or various infections. Some might have been comatose, with life support machines and artificial breathing the only thing keeping them alive anyway.

Eventually, their bodies gave out, and they simply could not fight on any longer. But does that mean that in the absence of the coronavirus, those one thousand people would still be alive? In other words, is it really true to say that all of these people died of Covid-19? But amidst this crisis, when health systems and governments have tunnel vision for this one ailment, all one thousand are chalked off as victims of the plague.

Watcher2

The vast majority of Covid-19 fatalities, 99 percent according to Italian research, have had a pre-morbidity, if not two or three. These are underlying health issues,like heart disease, cancer or various infections. Some might have been comatose, with life support machines and artificial breathing the only thing keeping them alive anyway.

Eventually, their bodies gave out, and they simply could not fight on any longer. But does that mean that in the absence of the coronavirus, those one thousand people would still be alive? In other words, is it really true to say that all of these people died of Covid-19? But amidst this crisis, when health systems and governments have tunnel vision for this one ailment, all one thousand are chalked off as victims of the plague.

Interesting. You start off by citing research but very quickly move on to "Some might..". You then use RT as another source.

Nice.

Popular Threads

Most Replies